GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Need Info On German Burgo .22cal revolver
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jigga

330 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  6:04:57 PM  Show Profile
I have an old German "Burgo" .22cal sport Revolver. It is 6 shot and has Eagle "N" proof marks on it. Does anyone know what this is?? Thanks

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15895 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  7:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Got a conflict here. "BURGO" is a trade mark of the Burgsmuller company of Germany. They were in business before and after the Second World War in different locations in Germany.
If your revolver was made post 1945, the "Eagle N" was a East German Proof Mark.
Prior to 1939 the "Eagle N" was a German Commercial Proof.
If I had to make a WAG, it's a inexpensive revolver assembled in East Germany sometime in the 50's or 60's for export sales. Because of the East German orgin very few of these revolvers would have been sold in the U.S.
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19332 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  8:21:24 PM  Show Profile
The Snowman told you the name of the firm: K. Burgsmuller, but they are located in Kreiensen, which is just south of Hanover and not in the former Eastern Zone. Burgo was the trade name for a line of inexpensive revolvers which Burgsmuller marketed in Germany and other European countries. The pistol should be indentical to the ROHM RG-10 or another simuliar RG product and is worth the same as a typical RG. The eagle over N is the German Definitive Smokeless Proof. Check and see if there is another symbol which may be an antler, a horse, a bear, a shield, ect., this would represent the proof house where the pistol was proved.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

Jigga

330 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  8:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rufe, The barrel just says made in Germany only. It has Eagle N on the barrel, Eagle N on the cylinder, Eagle N on the frame Does that tell you anymore about it? The grips are plastic and have like a gold colored medallion in both of them which looks like a bullseye target with "Burgo" in it. Let me know. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19332 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  8:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Now that barrel marking "Germany" is very interesting! This would indicate that the pistol wsa produced AFTER the reunification of West and East Germany in late 1990; earlier production would have been clearly marked "West Germany". Of course these German manufactured pistols have not been commercially imported into the United States in decades; Care to enlighten us as to how you came across it?

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15895 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  8:44:42 PM  Show Profile
I stand corrected!, went back to my book, Mark's right, I got my Eagles and Crowns a**backwards. The East Germans used a "Crown N" proof. Whereas the West Germans used a "Eagle N" proof.
Other then this nothing has changed, it's still an inexpensive revolver, fabricated/assembled in West Germany rather then in East Germany.
Go to Top of Page

Jigga

330 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  07:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Mark, What do you think of this marking. It just says "made in Germany" on the right side of barrel. I need to clean it a little more but there may be an antler proof mark on the reciever as well. Also, I know what you are saying about the 1990 reunification but this gun has been laying around for a long time as it has lots of surface rust on it. It was stored in an old leather holster and tucked away in the rafters of an old basement. It still seems to function good though. Any other thoughs?

Go to Top of Page

sHorTimE
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  6:34:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mark christian

Now that barrel marking "Germany" is very interesting! This would indicate that the pistol wsa produced AFTER the reunification of West and East Germany in late 1990; earlier production would have been clearly marked "West Germany". Of course these German manufactured pistols have not been commercially imported into the United States in decades; Care to enlighten us as to how you came across it?

Mark T. Christian

Hey there, I'm brand new to this forum,,,I found it by doing a serch for a handgun I purchased yesterday. I happens to be a RG10s...It appears to be in good condition with the exception of the grip...It needs replaced. There is a places in arizona that claims to have new grips for $15 lol I gave $25 for the whole gun....anyone know where info for it may reside...ie manual....parts list...and such.. It sounds like the same pistol discussed earlier with you. I have the same markings,,,but mine is in much better condition, no rust at all, bluing is in 98% condition, and it is pretty darn accurate at 25 yards. any help is welcome. Thanks Ray
Go to Top of Page

Rebel Python
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  01:43:28 AM  Show Profile
I have a BURGO also. Mine is a .38 special with the eagle crest,the letter "N" followed by the number "68" and then the antlers. I've been told this is just another name for the "RG's" and every one I've talked to said it really wasn't worth having,but I've shot it alot in the back yard and it's just as accurate as you would expect any .38 would be.

Jason Adams
Go to Top of Page

Rebel Python
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  12:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Me again. I have also owned a "RG66" .22 cal single action revolver back in the 1980's and it truly was a piece of ****. No matter how much I tinkered with the adjustable rear sight,you were lucky to hit a barn at 30yards. I took it to a local gun shop to have it checked out and the guy told me it was just a matter of time before it had a serious malfunction and pretty much told me I was tempting fate every time I shot it.

Jason Adams
Go to Top of Page

Rebel Python
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  12:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Me again. I have also owned a "RG66" .22 cal single action revolver back in the 1980's and it truly was a piece of ****. No matter how much I tinkered with the adjustable rear sight,you were lucky to hit a barn at 30yards. I took it to a local gun shop to have it checked out and the guy told me it was just a matter of time before it had a serious malfunction and pretty much told me I was tempting fate every time I shot it.

Jason Adams
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page