GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 S & W 38 Cal Revolver
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacodrum
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  9:17:24 PM  Show Profile
I recently was given what I believe is my grandfathers WWII service revolver. It is made by Smith and Wesson and is stamped on the right side of the barrel with 38 S & W CTG. It is parkerized and has the smoothest action of any revolver I've ever handled. On the the under side of the grip near the lanyard ring is stamped V184700, which is also stamped on the cylinder, right above the cartridge holes. Stamped into the top of the barrel is "Smith and Wesson Springfield Mass U.S.A. Patented Feb 6 06 Sept 14 09 Dec 23 14." It has smooth wooden grips. I hope someone can help me. What is the value of this gun and about when was it manufactured? Is it in fact a service revolver? Thanks for your help.

jim_lemay

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  11:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Victory Model S&W.

Not combat issue pistol. MP or other use from WWI onward.

Not a lot of money since so many made.

Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  12:28:42 AM  Show Profile
VICTORY MODEL: .38 M&P K frames produced during World War 11, Mostly for military usage, with a 'V' (for Victory) or SV serial number prefix. They came in .38 Smith & Wesson and .38 Special, The 'V' stood for VICTORY over the AXIS powers in WW2. Normally these Pistols are found with 4" Round Pinned barrels. and there were a few 2" V Models made but are very scarce: Lanyard Ring usually found on the Butt. They were Sand Blast Blue or Parkerized finish, non-shrouded extractor When introduced the Serial Numberg began with V-1 and ran to V-769000 at which time a new design hammer block was introduced and the serial prefix became an SV added to indicate this change..An interesting aside is that the VS was introduced because of of an accident which occured on a Navy Ship when a 'V' model was dropped on the Deck of a Ship and the weapon discharged Killing a sailor! and this prompted the Navy to investigate and request a Better Hammer Block design...
My Book says the 'V' Model in as New condition is worth $400.00...
and the Average Shooter being in Used but Servicable Condition..$150.00 to $175.00....Hope this is of some help and interest to you.........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

Edited by - captkirk3@dslextreme.com on 08/06/2003 2:47:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

101AIRBORNE

1729 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  12:36:58 AM  Show Profile
Jake,
One excellent gift. I welcome you!. Do not know a lot about the "Victory Models". I do believe and will be corrected-the .38 S&W
was intended for the British while the .38 Special was for U.S. troops.
Absolutely issued to pilots during WW11-that is U.S. in .38 special.
Believe Iconclast will appear and set the caliber correct per country.
The Victory was definitely intended for Pilot survival and others.
The "Victory Model-S&W does command a good price if not import marked.
Many questions may be answered by others on this forum. Another forum,
CaptKirk-believe this will be acceptable- www.jouster.com
Best of luck-101
Go to Top of Page

101AIRBORNE

1729 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  01:01:49 AM  Show Profile
Jake,
I did not know that the good captain was responding to you as I hammered out my response. I have sold a few Victory Models in the past. These were U.S. issued for pilot survival. The one that I sold-and regret was parkerized with bold case colors on the the trigger and hammer. In 96% percent strong condition-zero pits-w/original Boyt
1943 "brown" shoulder holster I was able to sell for the "widow" at
$ 750.00. I could do better than this now. Must be in .38 special to recognize U.S. issue. Best, 101
Go to Top of Page

drobs
Advanced Member

USA
19692 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  11:33:46 AM  Show Profile
Saxon, kinda stole my thunder but let me repeat.

If you should want to shoot it
DON'T shoot 38 special ammo in this gun!

It's chambered for 38s&w. Two different cartridges.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Ah....History Lesson Time; I see that there's some confusion that needs to be explained in depth...
.38/200 British Service Revolver (Model K-200, S&W Pistol #2--Pre-Model 11....
Caliber-.38 S&W with 200 grain Bullet,double action revolver built on the square-butt K frame with five-screws, 4"- 5"- or six inch pinned barrel lengths, six-shot fluted cylinder with nominal nominal length of 1.56". Came in Bright Blue, Brush Blue, Sand Blast Blue and Sand Blast Parkerized finishe are found. Square butt Walnut Grips. Some checkered and with the S&W Monograms for the Commercial version, Smooth Walnut without Monograms but with Lanyard Ring for the Service Version. The serial range continues from the M&P series 1905 4th Change, in a range of about 700,000 to 1,000,000. Then the revolver was numbered with a 'V' serial prefix (for Victory) in the same serial number range as the .38 Special Victory Models starting over from V-1 to about V-769,000. Now the Plot thickens....Early Lend-Lease guns were Marked UNITED STATES PROPERTY or "U.S. Property" on the topstrap. "Made in U.S.A." appears on the right side below the triggerguard, with the S&W trademark on the sideplate. Later production guns were marked the same as the Victory Model...
The Non-Factory converted to .38 Special: will detract from the value, and should be checked out by a competent gunsmith, The .38 Special cartridge is slightly smaller in diameter than the .38 S&W (38-200} and a .38 Special case will usually crak or bulge if the conversion was not properly done...Many of the .38 S&W, Special Conversions were done by 'PARKER HALE' in England...
Any further Questions, Read Page 103 of Supiva and Nahas Book Second Edition, Smith and Wesson... Two 'V' Models...Two Calibers......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

Jacodrum
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  3:30:36 PM  Show Profile
Wow, this posting really sturred up some discussion. A 38 special cartridge will not even fit in the cylinder, it does have a fluted cylinder, and is not stamped US property or anything on the top strap. It does say made in the USA on the side of the barrel. The Smith and Wesson monogram is stamped on the right side above the grip. I hope this helps. What is the approx value would you if this helps your appraisal any?
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  3:51:16 PM  Show Profile
jacodrum: I gave You the different variations...Never told you that You had any particular Gun...and I gave you a value for the 'V' Models..Read what I posted again....You'll have to decide what You have................

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page