GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Selling Armor piercing Bullets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

capgun

1819 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  11:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 600 vintage pulled .30 black tip 163 grain AP bullets. Just the bullets. I see lots for sale on GB, put am concerned if there are any laws about selling AP bullets. In this day age you have to be careful.

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  12:21:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be local laws that ban them. I shot many thousands over the years. I really liked the 5 gallon bucket of pulled BT I bought as a kid for a penny each and loaded with H-4831 at $2/#.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15538 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  08:21:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as FEDERAL law, there are limits on the MANUFACTURE of handgun AMMUNITION that is armor piercing. Not for the sale of bullets, and not for rifle ammunition. Until very recently (they may be sold out now) the Dept of Civilian Marksmanship was selling black tip 30-06 ammo.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13603 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  1:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "armor piercing" bullet rules generally apply to HANDGUN bullets, or to a few classes of loaded ammunition that can be used in rifle caliber handguns.

There are restrictions on manufacture of armor piercing handgun ammo, and also on importation of same.

So far as I know mere possession or sale of .30 cal rifle bullets aren't restricted at all. . .but I suppose its possible there are places with LOCAL laws against those things.

There is a special BATFE/legal carveout for the military black tip .30 cal rounds. BATFE was going to ban the green tip AR .223 ammo, but I think it relented on that.

quote:
Exemptions: The following articles are exempted from the definition of armor piercing ammunition.

5.56 mm (.233) SS 109 and M855 Ammunition, identified by a green coating on the projectile tip.

U.S. .30-06 M2AP, identified by a black coating on the projectile tip.

Go to Top of Page

capgun

1819 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  1:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What makes it confusing is that these .30 bullets can be loaded into a .308 cartridge and shot in a Contender handgun.
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

USA
26009 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  4:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capgun

What makes it confusing is that these .30 bullets can be loaded into a .308 cartridge and shot in a Contender handgun.

CYA by making the buyer sign a statement that the projectiles (do not use the word bullet) will be used only to assemble (do not use the word manufacture) ammunition intended for rifles and will be in compliance with all federal, state and local laws.

You are fine on the federal level, but it is up to you to sift through the countless state and local regulations involved in shipping ammunition components.
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13603 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  7:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capgun

Pretty much ANY rifle cartridge "can" be shot in a handgun. Even 50BMG (see below).

The BATFE (so far) hasn't taken the position that just because "some" handgun on the planet is capable of firing a given round, that said
round is a "handgun" round.

50 BMG handgun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkiDguYtGw

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Henry0Reilly
Advanced Member

USA
14302 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  09:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many auctions listed here are for items that are restricted or banned in some localities. A lot of sellers state, "It is your responsibility to ensure this is legal where you live."

quote:
Originally posted by beantownshootah

The BATFE (so far) hasn't taken the position that just because "some" handgun on the planet is capable of firing a given round, that said
round is a "handgun" round.

I thought that was their excuse for banning the import of 7.62x39 steel core Chinese military surplus during the Clinton years?

Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Check out what I've got on the block here at GunBroker!

Be Active Today!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page