GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Colt 1849- is broken load lever fixable?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Silver Star 5301
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  1:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a entry level Colt 1849, that I am enjoying getting to know. It wouldn't cock, so with help of Youtube, I disassembled and diagnosed the issue. New spring on the way.

One of the flaws with it, is the load lever appears to be been broken off just beyond the loading lever latch assy. is it possible for a smith to braze on new metal, to make it functional?

I know the repair cost might be salty, but it is a numbers matching so I would like to make it whole again if possible. I suppose the next best thing is the get an authentic lever from a parts supplier and just hold onto this one.

The part that the latch secures against under the barrel is missing ass well. Is that an indicator of what may have caused the break? or just show someone cobbled and mistreated the thing?

If repair of the latch can be done, I would appreciate recommendations of who could do the service. Thanks!

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17717 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  2:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brazing would stand out, like a sore thumb. Even getting a pro to make a replacement, and welding/fitting to the original lever. Would be very expensive. Probably way more, that the 49 is now worth.

Repo 49's have been made since the 60's, most coming out of Italy. Most cost effective, from my perspective, would be to use parts from one of these Italian replicas. Fitting might be a problem though. Although similar in appearance to the original Colts. Don't believe the Italian parts, are "drop in" replacements. They would have to be altered, to work in your Colt. Most likely.

Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  2:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it could be fixed, even a DIY project if you are handy. Pic's would help.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/accessories/parts/uberti/blackpowder-firearms/1849-pocket-parts.html
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

15049 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  3:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charliemeyer007

I think it could be fixed, even a DIY project if you are handy. Pic's would help.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/accessories/parts/uberti/blackpowder-firearms/1849-pocket-parts.html

Uberti is the way to go for the parts since they're made on Colt machines. Well at least they were. Also skip the middle man and go get the parts directly from Uberti. I wanna say VT something for the US parts dealer. Yup too lazy to find the parts in the parts bin for their name .
Go to Top of Page

Silver Star 5301
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  9:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charliemeyer007

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the process to post a photo, and found it to be a bit too complex and old school for my I-pad photo library.

I did a disassembly and replaced a broken trigger spring. Kinda fun to diagnose and repair. It has good timing. Screws came out pretty easy. I think some over the decades shot and cleaned this a lot. There is a pleasure in holding one of these and wondering about what it has been throuugh.
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  4:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uberti parts are made from Colt specs, except for the screws, they have metric threads.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

Knifecollector
Advanced Member

USA
3284 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Uberti parts on Colts before. I remove the new bluing and use a browning solution to color the new part. I keep adding coats til the color is almost an exact match with the rest of the Colt.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page