GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Quick payment: Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11352 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  3:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An auction closed late Thursday 11/2. The seller and I e-mailed each other on Friday 11/3, I went to the post office and mailed the money order with a copy of the invoice he e-mailed me. I e-mailed the FFL and he e-mailed his information. That's about as quick as it gets.

I e-mailed the seller this morning 11/10 to check when the rifle would ship. He replied he has not received the payment yet but today's mail would be there soon. Then e-mailed payment didn't arrive today.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

Anyone ever have to cancel payment on a USPS Money Order?

If he doesn't get payment by Monday I'll send him another payment. But I would like to get my money back on the original money order.

Update: So I mailed a check Tuesday, it had been 11 days since I mailed the money order. Seller sent me an e-mail today. He received both letters today, sent me a picture. He is going to run the money order through and mail my check back.

I had mailed a copy of the money order receipt when I mailed the second payment. I didn't want the man to think I was messing with him. Good fellow, some sellers would have already filed a non-paying bidder report.

Edited by - SCOUT5 on 11/17/2017 9:31:59 PM

duckhunter
Advanced Member

8764 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  3:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Takes 60 days BEFORE you can file for a refund.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11352 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  3:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duckhunter

Takes 60 days BEFORE you can file for a refund.

Longer than I like but as long as I can get it back. Hopefully it will show up and I won't have to fool with it.
Go to Top of Page

hoosier

USA
997 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  3:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can take up to 3-5 business days or a First Class Letter to arrive in most parts of the US. Don't count the day it was sen,t or weekends.

Our Mail goes from our small town 100 miles south to Nashville to be sorted and then its on it's way, that adds an extra 1 day.

Best to wait a few more days.

Gun Parts and more (lots more).

NRA Life Endowment Member, US Army Veteran.
Lions Club

Go to Top of Page

wiplash
Advanced Member

USA
5510 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  4:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget about Veterans Day!
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17214 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  4:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if I mail something today to next door neighbor it takes at least 6 days and they are days post office is open if I mail with a holiday involved it may take up to 11days
Go to Top of Page

0rangeD
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  4:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't start worrying until it's been 2 weeks. I recently sent a payment By Priority Mail that took over a week to arrive and it was going less than 500 miles.
Go to Top of Page

Mercury
Advanced Member

7560 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  5:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As other people have said, you are expecting WAY too much out of the USPS.

The USPS/Ebay/Amazon all lie to you about "estimated shipping times".

I ship about 1200 package a month.......maybe 10% get there by the "estimated date".

I've been trying to educate ebay/amazon buyers, but most don't believe me.

To sum up, just ignore what the USPS says. Unless you live in a major metro area, and your item was mailed from the same, their times aren't even close. Add 2-3 days to their estimates, and you'll be about right.

Merc

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29501 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  6:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like above stated.......don't be in a rush with USPS by any means. I'd wait at least a week minimum.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968

Edited by - us55840 on 11/10/2017 6:09:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24295 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  6:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...this is why I only pay with a personal check...
Go to Top of Page

Don McManus
Advanced Member

USA
25030 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  6:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always spring for the $ 5.00 and send payments Priority Mail. You get a tracking number so you know when it is/was delivered.

With regular USPS, I would give it until Tuesday or Wednesday before you consider re-sending the payment.

'Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.'
Brad Steele.

'The Constitution that was actually enacted and formally amended creates islands of government powers in a sea of liberty. The judicially redacted constitution creates islands of liberty rights in a sea of governmental powers.'
Randy E. Barnett

CA #3

Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
14819 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  9:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be lucky. I buy brass from a GB seller in New Hampshire. His auctions close on Saturday. I have payment in the mail by Monday. He receives payment and I get the brass the following Monday.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11352 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  7:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's been 11 days since I mailed the money order. I mailed a check to day. The mail let me down. Aggravating for sure.
Go to Top of Page

shootuadeal
Advanced Member

USA
4132 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  10:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's only happened to me once. I had to send another money order and wait for the refund.

On the flip side it's only happened to me once as well. The buyer though didn't have enough money to send me another so I let him wait the two months or whatever and then he sent payment to me after he got the refund.

My auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=688208

drydocksports.com
Go to Top of Page

kenlguy

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  04:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don McManus

I always spring for the $ 5.00 and send payments Priority Mail. You get a tracking number so you know when it is/was delivered.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This fer sure
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29501 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  09:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kenlguy

quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This fer sure

No assurance the person actually received the Priority Mail item.

Unless a signature is required or insured for over $500 so a signature required when delivered, the USPS tracking will show it was left on the porch or at the door and they are off the hook.

YES, IT IS TRUE!

You want to be sure the letter/package gets into the correct persons hand ~ required a signature upon delivery.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

Edited by - us55840 on 11/15/2017 09:05:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
39348 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  09:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One time I figured the Guy got it and Cashed it. But to be far I sent another. Got the 1st one back over a year later. They misplaced it.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

11372 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  09:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

With regular USPS, I would give it until Tuesday or Wednesday before you consider re-sending the payment.

YEP, Worth every penny. At least you kind of know where it is at. And YES, it could show up today. I had one that took a month as it languished in the METRO CENTER....At least the tracking showed where it was at . And walla, it started moving again.
Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
37600 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  09:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why personal/business checks have it all over postal money orders. If my check is lost or misdirected, I can simply issue another. Do I stop payment on the first one? No. If it turns up, the seller or I can shred it. If it ends up forged, I go to the bank and execute one affidavit and it's the bank's problem now.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Retired Texas Peace Officer/FFL Dealer

Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

My GunBroker auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=3012

Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
39348 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  9:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nunn

This is why personal/business checks have it all over postal money orders. If my check is lost or misdirected, I can simply issue another. Do I stop payment on the first one? No. If it turns up, the seller or I can shred it. If it ends up forged, I go to the bank and execute one affidavit and it's the bank's problem now.

Many folks will not take checks. and will only deal with Money Orders.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6964 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  03:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So a few random thoughts...

Postal or federal US government money orders are considered the same as cash...

No waiting to clear like a check...

A personal check has personal info on it - and can be used in identity fraud or other criminal ventures...

A money order does not and cannot.

Messing with a check is a crime but messing with the mail or a postal money order is a federal crime...

A money order does not contain my personal or banking info or allow illicit access or privacy invasion

I like postal money orders and have never had a problem with them

Problems with postal service and mail is a different fish all together and the two are not inexorably linked

The trail starts and stops with a money order - a check leaves inherent vulnerabilities

IMHO

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44419 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  10:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like on-line check out on GunBroker, for those dealers who use it. I always send payments "Certified" which gives you a tracking number. They are less likely to lose it if they have to account for it, and you know when it arrived.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29501 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  10:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grumpygy

One time I figured the Guy got it and Cashed it. But to be far I sent another. Got the 1st one back over a year later. They misplaced it.

Did he pay you interest on the money?

Abraham Lincoln

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page