GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Just random stuff: guns pets girls fires & such
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  8:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makaila has been asked to do a 30 day rotation in 2 separate hospital emergency rooms to evaluate there staff and procedures (as part of a team)...

It's good for her career wise and means more money and some flex time...

She is an evaluation and training supervisory ER / ICU / trauma / triage nurse and performs some of the evaluation and training duties at the hospital ER in Camden NJ...

The thing is she likes her job - her routine - her commute - she has been at our lady of lords for 10+ years and gets to spend time in a bunch of different departments and wards...

She knows the staff and the building and has worked with some of these folks a long time - but it's only 2 months or 60 days..

The main problem is which hospital ER's they want to put her in.

They are in kensington in Philly and near temple in north east Philly

Camden is bad enough - the hospital is pretty much separate from the city - and the ER has its own police mini station and a good security force and she gets to park under the hospital in a secure limited access area

Were they want her to work is like Mogadishu or Somalia or port o prince in Haiti or Chicago or Detroit

On the plus side is that we all have Florida ccw permits...

But Philly does not recognize them - and is pretty vocal about it - the mayor is a libtard piece of trash

She will protect herself if she goes there - but it's a grey area for sure

Then again NJ is even more unfriendly to guns and ccw and self protection

Were she works has great armed security - constant roaming patrols - even the exterior and parking lot and perimeter are patrolled

They hire mostly former marines or retired police officers - many of the nurses she works with are married to some of these guys or dating them - they have good police and security protection especially in the emergency room

It's her decision - and I support her but I worry about ghetto violence and hood world locations

She gets a higher level of certification and rating if she does this and it counts toward seniority and pay and position and opportunity and such

We got an offer through our vet to breed Akira the wonder dog

A cash incentive and #3 pick of the litter and the damn is also a registered papered dog and they pay all the bills and costs

Offer comes from a known breeder with a good rep - I have never bred one of my dogs - the incentives are surprising but apparently a bouvier de Flanders and Akita purebred registered chipped mix dog is somewhat rare in north America - and his size and weight (he is over 180 lbs) is a factor

Popular in Chile and Argentina I am told as a status symbol among the well off and as a security and guard dog

I have a trio of pre 1900 Remington or Remington Keene or Remington Lee commercial bolt action sporting rifles (high end - well made - few made - rarely encountered - commercial failures as a result of technological progress) waiting to be inspected and cleaned and researched and fondled and evaluated and spec sheeted

All in odd calibers and configurations with odd pattern magazines and sights and wood and such

And a ward Burton patent trial rifle...

The next few look to be super interesting at least to me and possibly some of you - I can write them up here if folks are interested.

And a box with about a dozen Al Mar knives in it - and a few real early Gil hibben custom pieces - all fixed blade fighting or hunting knives

Mackenzie is doing crafts in front of the fire while playing with the duck (wearing a waistcoat) and the ferret (in a turtle neck sweater) and the hedgehog (wearing a polka dot bow tie - but he will not wear the hat)

The box turtle will get some nail polish artwork done - and pose for some pics - she dresses and decorates them and takes pics for a message board forum she does work for...

The box turtle has dayglow hi vis orange Williams fiber optic fire sight coloration / highlights / inclusions that are quite prominent and distinct

The turtle did not go out in the yard last night or this morning or at all today - I am advised that you don't take turtles out below 40 or below freezing in in frost conditions

The cat is in hiding - he broke a Czech glass vase last night and Makaila was unhappy

Fireplaces are all set and ready to go - will get lit soon.

Thorny rose bush branch bundles and pine cones and pine needles (all seasoned and dried and twine tied) layer on a willow branch and paper birch bark base

One nice largish half round oak split and a few wrist diameter apple wood branch sections

Mackenzie put on the Steel shin guards and steel toed boots and split some wood today - I showed her how to stone and strop the edge profiles on a small maul and half sized axe - and we prepared more starter bundles as noted above

Makaila has a 72 hour shift that started tonight at 6pm - she took 6 ball jars full of sauce and stew and soup I made and one of the small crock pots / slow cookers with her (to be shared out)

One has javalina cubes in it and there was also a package of lesser kudu jerky (pineapple flavor palette)

I am still quite miserable and in pain and limited in mobility - the radiation burn and pressure wound on my backside and tailbone are agonizing - I cannot do a whole lot.

But I am eating and think I am putting on weight

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)

Edited by - mrmike08075 on 11/13/2017 5:01:14 PM

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17211 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  8:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike your plate is full more so than 99.99%of anyone on these forums I don't know how you do it i admire you and the man upstairs is guiding you.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2017 :  10:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not...

I spent like 20 hours of the last 24 in bed or on the couch laying down

4 hours actually doing anything of worth

Mackenzie spending two or three hours with me in the living room instead of working at her craft station in her bedroom is a nice gesture

It's funny - she wants to know how to do things for herself - wants to be shown or taught - and will do research online and come back with questions

And she will work at a skill until she gets it right at least on a basic level - quietly and slowly and repetitively until she has it

Today was honing and stoning and stroping the blade on a small maul and a half axe and a herters knife

Today was splitting or halving or quartering firewood and preparing the tinder starter bundles

And she already can operate the fireplaces and wood stove and knows how to set up a burn in the hearth and what the tools are for and how to use the flue and the ash grate door

So even in a chair or on the couch I taught her some skills - she asks to try something most weekends so we will do some tasks together and I try to draw her out and get her to talk

She is still largely non verbal with men - though when she isn't paying attention - when focused on a task at hand I get some conversation before she quiets down again

Makaila says she trusts me and thinks its important so I keep at it

I do try to do more than just lay and sit while recovering - even when the pain is bad - it's been bad last few days and I don't sleep much

But I spend a lot of time unable to do much - I have now seen every episode of law and order enough times to quote the dialogue

It sounds impressive but it's only a few hours and than I am shot and will pay for it

But I am not happy with taking enough meds to be comfortable or pain free - when I do I just sleep and nap and have no interest in anything including eating - just in zombie addict mode

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  6:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think I have lost my touch...

Usually these threads get lots of responses.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  8:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makaila is going to take the offer and do the work they request.

She pushed back quite a bit and now may choose 2 of her nurses to go with her as part of her team and for cross training...

She talked with the heads of security at both locations and seem to be OK with her "defending herself while in transit or off duty" unofficially...

Mackenzie looks to make the deans list again this semester.

I not only went to and spent about an hospital today (add the drive back and forth) but managed to walk around in also for about 15 minutes before coming home...

Did the stairs a few times today as well.

Tired now and sore now but what are you going to do.

Shaved and bathed and dressed up a bit...

I am pushing myself to eat a lot - to put on weight and fuel recovery...

Does still tend to cause some abdominal distress and if I overdo it I get sick.

The girls have been taking my inertia baby rolling block carbine and the .32-20 s&w clone revolver and the little Turkish .410 sxs to the indoor range were I visit to do appraisal work and cleanings

I have set Mackenzie up a complete Lee loader single stage press set up (there are 3 presses) along with a bunch of accessories

She is working on copper coated target wadcutters for the carbine and the revolver as well as trap loads for the .410

I gave her enough components to do about 500 of each

Just life going on as I struggle to get things back.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  11:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah!

Makaila is back home after being at work / at the hospital since Friday around dinner time.

Despite the fact that I did to much this morning and have been nauseous and dizzy and have had shaky legs...

We met and greater briefly with all the animals dancing around...

She enjoyed this as I had dressed them all up in clothing and costume apparel...

So she headed to the master bath to change and shower and that's were I got her...

Scented candles lit (like a dozen)

A wicker basket full of floral sachet and petals and babies breath with a single red rose with a silk white ribbon tied on it in a bow...

Bottle of robert mondavi joberg Riesling barrel select reserve from 2009 (a dry year - a good vintage) and a Czech crystal glass...

A second glass filled with Godiva chocolates...

Bubble bath - heated towels - heated robe..

Her pre bed lounging clothes layer out and folded...

A sliced Fuji apple and some brie and some crackers...

Floor heated up...

A wide white silk ribbon to tie her hair up and a pair of those chopstick looking long hair pins that keep things in place...

And chamomile tea drum the kuerig set out.

Enya's watermark playing followed by Cyndi laupers greatest hits...

She went in - came out and just hugged and held me for awhile - cried awhile - smiled and went back in.

I have to sit now as I don't feel so good and have some vertigo and peripheral vision loss and noises sound a bit far away like through a paper tube and I'm not feeling so good.

Headache coming.

But worth the price because she deserves it and puts up with me and the ruined empty shell of a person I have become - a near useless wreck.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
9881 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  11:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're a good man, Mike!
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all. Please forgive me for interrupting and using Michael's account here again. Michael is down for awhile as I gave him something to help him sleep and something to deal with his pain. Michael's vitals are okay but he stubbornly has overdone things again and pushed to hard to benefit someone other than himself. Michael will be out for a few hours at least and we will keep an eye on him while he sleeps. He is pigheaded sometimes and will not quit or ask for help even when it hurts him. As you may have noticed he is proud but depressed and refuses to ask for help or admit defeat. But we love him anyway and the house would be empty without Michael around.

M

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  09:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry...

I pretty much passed out last night and they had to use smelling salts to wake me up...

While they were taking my vitals and checking on me they ambushed me with a needle full of sleepy pain away juice...

I stayed out for 6 hours and after letting out the pets and using the facilities and getting some water went back to bed.

Going to lay down again for awhile.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  2:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a public thank you to M

They found me passed out again with my phone still lit an in this thread...

3rd time that has happened and the girls have posted on my open logged in account and logged me off for those that are following

I am in the dog house right now for not taking care of myself and pushing to hard and being stupid

I guess my learning curve is steep.

On the other hand the rabbi I talk to at the hospital says there are only 3 reasons that I am not dead

I am to stubborn to die

People need my help and guidance

God has not called me home just yet

It's odd I guess - being Roman Catholic and somewhat angry with god and estranged from the church and doctrine

Knowing that on my day someone will sit Shiva for me

Sorry about the drama and not answering emails or texts or phone calls last night and this morning as I was down and out cold

Thanks for caring

Mike

Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
4975 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  2:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang in Mike for the better days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

HandLoad
Advanced Member

14916 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  3:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are Really Something, Mike! I wish I was Half the MAN you are!

I'm still including You in My Prayers.

Take care of Yourself! Your Ladies need You Functional!

Keep On Keeping On!

Laudate Nomen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page