GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Deer hunting - It's easier...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BikerBob

1869 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  6:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to stay in your tree stand when it starts to rain than go out there when it's raining.

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6955 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  6:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's easier to leave the bar with a portly pudgy girl at last call and go back to her place and meet all 9 of her cats named for elves from lords of the ring...

Than to show up with her sober hours before closing.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

Chief Shaway

4751 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  11:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BikerBob

to stay in your tree stand when it starts to rain than go out there when it's raining.

About ten years ago, I left my truck and headed out across the field, about 400 yards, to hit the timber for turkey hunting.
The moment I hit the timber edge, it started raining.
I proceeded in and an hour later came out with a Tom with a 10" beard.
If the rain would of started 5 minutes earlier, even though I had rain gear, I probably would of never even gotten out of the truck.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
2885 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  05:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where I live and hunt, it is easier to become a frozen solid icicle then it is to get soaking wet!
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

Mozambique
39707 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  07:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When its raining I stay on the bar stool.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24193 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  08:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....I hunt out of the Jeep if its raining...
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15532 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  08:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
years back my Dad and I were still hunting for a HUGE buck that we had seen- he hung out near the edge where a cornfield met the woods. Started a cold misty rain, close to freezing. After 2 hours Dad told me he had all the fun he could stand- how about we go back to his house, get a cup of coffee and thaw out? I heartily agreed.

When we got out of the truck, my Stepmom greeted us with "Oh good- you're back. There is a deer out in the garden that needs to be dressed."

While we were out freezing at the cornfield, Bullwinkle had walked up into the garden of their house a mile away- and Stepmom (country girl that she was) had dropped him with one round of 30-30.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11316 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son and I were hunting one opening morning. I was using a climbing stand. My firearm was an Encore pistol in .270. It came a hard rain, it was pouring. I was under a large dark green poncho and had it bellowed out like a tent over me and the stand.

Trying to get through the rain without being soaked. I was sitting with my head down, neck bowed and could only see maybe a 20 yard circle under me. Like I said, I was just trying to wait the rain out. A decent buck walked right under my stand, looked up at me, lord knows what he thought I was sitting up there under that poncho.

As the buck started to walk off I raised my pistol out from under the poncho and shot him at about 30 yards. I could barely see him in the scope. I put the pistol back under the poncho and resumed my head down position until the rain stopped.

He was lying about 60 yards from me. The entrance wound was larger than it should have been and jagged, and all I found of the 130gr cor-lokt was the copper jacket and it was in the same side I shot him on. I still think it was raining so hard the bullet started opening up before it hit the buck.

My son, had done the same as I and covered up during the rain, said "you shot what!" He couldn't hardly believe I shot a deer during that deluge.

Go to Top of Page

FWAddit

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  12:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During spring gobbler season I sat in a light cold rain huddled under some bushes watching a hen and two gobblers huddle out in the middle of a field. Occasionally one or the other of the toms gobbled in response to my calling, but none of the turkeys left their spot. I decided to wait them out. They would head for timber eventually, and maybe they would conclude it was safe to come in my direction. More turkeys came out, a tom and three hens. After a brief squabble about who got to huddle where, they all squatted down, apparently intending to wait out the rain in the open where nothing could sneak up on them.

As my clothes dampened, I got more and more chilled. Finally I was shivering so hard there was nothing to do but walk back over the hill to the house. Next day I had pleurisy pains, and two days later, in the middle of the night, the pain got so bad my wife took me to the emergency room for tests, which diagnosed pneumonia. I went home with a prescription for antibiotics and spent the rest of the week the permit was good for huddled indoors recuperating.

You can learn more from one bad example than you can from twelve good ones.

Edited by - FWAddit on 11/14/2017 12:49:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

guntech59
Advanced Member

Brunei
20958 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  4:01:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once went hunting when it was raining so hard that I drowned in my tree stand.

I was a beautiful funeral.

US Army (Ret.)
1977-1998

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” — Jefferson`s “Commonplace Book,”

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”- Heraclitus.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page