GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 New Refridgerator...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24295 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  09:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...any input?...Looking at LG and kitchen Aid...what say yea?...any experience with these products?

Rocky Raab
Advanced Member

USA
7564 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  09:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought an LG when we did our home reno a few years ago. No complaints at all. Quiet, easy to clean, well laid out.
Go to Top of Page

chiefr
Advanced Member

USA
8109 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  1:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would avoid LG and Samsung. Both are plagued with issues and if you need parts, be prepared to wait up to month for parts to come from Korea.
Go to Top of Page

diver-rig
Advanced Member

USA
4891 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  2:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother-in-law's fridge went out back in September.

Repairman told her to fix it would be $600, just buy a new fridge, and recommend a Kenmore.

She goes to Sears and orders the one he recommended.

It still isn't here, my wife has been calling for her and getting the run around from some call center in India. They keep pushing back the delivery date.

She already paid, and refuses to cancel, because that's what the repairman said to get.

I wouldn't have bought anything from Sears to begin with.
Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
4534 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  3:01:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chiefr

I would avoid LG and Samsung. Both are plagued with issues and if you need parts, be prepared to wait up to month for parts to come from Korea.

Not sure about Samsung but my LG refrigerator (overseas) door gasket is bad and the door won't shut w/o "pushing it in" think the "door swelled". Age, 5 to 6 years old. Started malfunctioning about a year ago. Will buy a new refrigerator next year. Fix the door gasket and closure problem and sell it.

Honestly can't recall what I've got in the U.S. G.E. or Whirlpool? No problem.
Go to Top of Page

Heavy Chevy

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a Sears and have great service!
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24295 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  6:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....keep 'um coming!
Go to Top of Page

bigal125

USA
1110 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  6:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a Whirlpool Gold top freezer model that we bought new (scratched and dent sale, it had a couple small scratches on the sides!) about 14 years ago.

It's been a fantastic appliance for us but I thought we were gonna have to junk it and buy a new one earlier this year. The defrost cycle wasn't working. The freezer was icing up all over the coils and causing the fridge portion to warm up (no cold air circulating through the fridge).

Several YouTube videos and a trip to Appliance Parts Depot later, I pulled the old defrost heater and thermostat out, put the new ones in and buttoned it back up. The fridge is running like new again. Easy-peasy!

Don't know if this model is still being made, but Whirlpool is what I would look at... hope this helps!

Big Al (a LOT of info available online for appliance repairs. Here's two of the places I used ...

http://www.apdepot.com/cb-RepairHelp/RepairHome.aspx?m=2

and

https://www.partselect.com/ )

<edit for typos, darn it!>

Edited by - bigal125 on 11/13/2017 8:05:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
1044 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  6:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whatever you get, get as much warranty as they'll sell you. Ask them, point-blank if the warranty is any good. The salesperson that is.
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

12982 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  7:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sub Zero and don't look back.

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

Don McManus
Advanced Member

USA
25030 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  7:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gearheaddad

Sub Zero and don't look back.

Agreed, if you want to spend 5 figures to keep your beer cold.

We bought a Stainless GE side x side French Door with the freezer drawer a few years back for around $ 1,500 IIRC, and have been very happy with it.

Edit: I looked up what it is called, apparently it is French Door, as the side by side is the freezer on one side and the refer on the other.

'Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.'
Brad Steele.

'The Constitution that was actually enacted and formally amended creates islands of government powers in a sea of liberty. The judicially redacted constitution creates islands of liberty rights in a sea of governmental powers.'
Randy E. Barnett

CA #3

Edited by - Don McManus on 11/13/2017 7:25:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

12982 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  7:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all seriousness, I suggest counter depth, side by side with the freezer being drawers on the bottom. Much more convenient.
If you're redoing the kitchen, I suggest under counter refrigerator drawers in addition to a counter depth refrigerator. Super convenient!

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24295 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  8:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

In all seriousness, I suggest counter depth, side by side with the freezer being drawers on the bottom. Much more convenient.
If you're redoing the kitchen, I suggest under counter refrigerator drawers in addition to a counter depth refrigerator. Super convenient!

Sub Zero make one of these?
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

12982 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  8:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pwillie

quote:

My sub zero is a built in counter depth with one large door and with 2 freezer drawers below.
On the other side of the kitchen we have a sub zero built in 2 drawer refrigerator unit. We use the drawers for beer, water, soft drinks, etc.

Go to Top of Page

jltrent
Advanced Member

USA
10098 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  8:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had good luck with Kenmore. Don't know how much longer you can get them though.
Go to Top of Page

booger

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  8:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought a Whirlpool 24.7 cubic foot from Lowes, back at the first of the year. Lowes Item #714644

So far it's been a champ, I'll get back to you in 20 years.

Better to measure your spot, this beast didn't fit our old school kitchen. But booger man McGyver got out the tool bag, it fits now, barely.

The new ones are energy star double insulated = way bigger.

Cupcake Pro Staff
Go to Top of Page

BikerBob

1875 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  9:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenmore had been made by Whirlpool for the past 100 years. Sears has gone a different direction with their appliance supplier as of this fall. Think lowest bidder here.

Our KitchenAid fridge is 11 years old, if it croaked, I'd get another, but it has some more life in it, still looks ok, works well. It may eat ketchup though, can't figure why we're always about empty!
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29501 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  9:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a Whirlpool Gold double door for nearly 10 years with zero issues.

Problem with double door is neither the frig on one side nor the freezer on the other side is large enough for some items. Wife wanted a 'French Door' type with bottom freezer and double doors on top.

Purchased an Amana French door frig about 4 years ago. It's a great frig with plenty of room and really like the bottom freezer.

Had to have two service calls on it .. one some electronic part went out that controls refrigerator temperature and 2nd time had to replace a control board. All the new refrigerators have electronic controls and that has been a problem with ALL of them.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43746 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  01:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pwillie

quote:

My sub zero is a built in counter depth with one large door and with 2 freezer drawers below.
On the other side of the kitchen we have a sub zero built in 2 drawer refrigerator unit. We use the drawers for beer, water, soft drinks, etc.

That sounds like a really nice setup!
Go to Top of Page

mjrfd99

USA
1965 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  08:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Samsung=POS IMO
Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
4534 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mjrfd99

Samsung=POS IMO

Depressing, both LG and Samsung refrigerators are rated POS. My choices are down to locally built Whirlpool and brands no one has heard of except me. Makes my choice easier.

Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

12982 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  10:12:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This idea:
Brand? Whatever you prefer!
With this style, it doesn't stick out past the cabinets, isn't so deep you lose and make science projects in the back, and it's wide! The freezer drawers are very accessible.

https://www.maytag.com/kitchen/refrigeration/refrigerators/french-door/p.36-inch-wide-counter-depth-french-door-refrigerator-20-cu.-ft.mfc2062fez.html

Built in:
This idea....http://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero/full-size-refrigeration/builtin-refrigerators?PID=ppcconsideration_subzero_2017:google:cpc:refrigeration_consideration:paidsearch#/36%22|Refrigerator%20%26%20Freezer|French%20door|Over-and-under|Panel%20Ready|Stainless%20Steel

Under counter built in "drawers"
http://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero/counter-refrigerator?PID=ppcconsideration_subzero_2017:google:cpc:undercounter_consideration:paidsearch#/All%20Refrigerator

All a matter of space, taste, and MONEY!$$

Go to Top of Page

Okie743

USA
1416 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  10:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chiefr

AND even the $2000 SAMSUNG FRIDGES are know to have compressor Freon leak issues just after the 5 year warranty is out. Know of several Samsung that left the owners singing the Samsung blues.
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24295 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  6:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at Lowes last nite looking and ran across returned refridges...85 % were Samsungs...I think it will be a Kitchenaid...according to Mrs. Willie...
Go to Top of Page

austin20
Advanced Member

USA
29013 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  6:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We put in a whole new kitchen about ten years ago. all kitchen-aid appliances, so far so good
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22045 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  6:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless things have changed, KitchenAid makes a very good refrigerator. Ours is 11 years old and going strong, it's a counter depth side by side, but without the bells and whistles (internet, music, etc.). If and when we need to replace it, we'll get another KitchenAid, but with the freezer drawer and quick access see-through door.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18293 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  6:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old-Colts

Unless things have changed, KitchenAid makes a very good refrigerator. Ours is 11 years old and going strong, it's a counter depth side by side, but without the bells and whistles (internet, music, etc.). If and when we need to replace it, we'll get another KitchenAid, but with the freezer drawer and quick access see-through door.

You still keepin' your fishing bait in the salad crisper ???
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22045 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  6:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by forgemonkey

quote:

Only the worms, the cool temperature slows them down!
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43746 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  6:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Too funny, man!

What's next

A couple of favorite quotes:

"What goes around comes around."

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43746 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  7:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

There you go! In a space that was long ago preserved for freshly spit shinned shoes!

What's next

A couple of favorite quotes:

"What goes around comes around."

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22045 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  8:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kimi

quote:

quote:

quote:

There you go! In a space that was long ago preserved for freshly spit shinned shoes!
I didn't spit shine my damn flight boots and I sure as hell didn't keep them in the fridge!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22045 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  8:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kimi

quote:

Too funny, man!
I love technology, probably more than most folks, but a touchscreen computer built into the door of my refrigerator is a little too much, even for me!!!!
Go to Top of Page

pulsarnc

USA
2277 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  9:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenmore all the way .Family has been using them for the past 45 years or so with great service .In all that time only had one of them to just quit .they get replaced every 15 or 20 years .

don't pick a fight with an old man ,if he is to old to fight he will just shoot you
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

Mozambique
39722 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought a side by side bottom freezer Maytag about 2 years ago. So far so good.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page