GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 1903 Rem Arms Co Small-Bore Sporting Rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6934 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  4:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pattern M 1899??? Remington Arms Company Small-Bore Sporting Rifle???

Looks like 1903 or 1904 production date from what I can discern

Chambered in 7x57mm Mauser (out of a total production all calibers of approx 1450 pieces I do not know how many were 7mm or what the breakdown is amongst the 12 calibers known to have been offered or cataloged)

The gun looks alot like a Remington Lee or an SMLE short magazine Lee enfield or a Remington Keene bolt action military rifle (has a strong resemblance - the patent and design look very similar)

The stamped sheet metal detachable three groove Diss-pattern box magazine make it easily mistaken for a British SMLE bolt gun of some sort

5 round magazine capacity

Release lever forward of magazine and Mag well

It does appear to be a military action adapted for use as a high end commercial sporting rifle to me

24" standard profile round bbl - medium weight possibly

42 1/4" overall length - 7 3/4 lbs unloaded weight

High end hand rubbed dense grained walnut stock with a very shallow profile palm swell pistol grip

Heavy or extensive fine cut Checkering embellishment on forearm

Very narrow European style profile fore end wood - looks like someone pared it down or narrowed it as it approaches the muzzle and ends in a small rosewood cap

Two large lugs on the bolt / separate bolt head (Louis diss patent style) (or maybe Roswell cook patent) that lock into or engage recesses in the receiver when you close the action

Turned down bolt handle - has been finely checkered or stippled

No bayonet lug or military nose cap or cleaning rod arraignments

Obviously a commercial designed and factory built hunting or sporting rifle - though I don't have another one to do a direct comparison to

Spring and leaf rear sight - ivory bead in a sloping v style post front

There is a brass compass inset into the pistol grip cap

The trigger is British endfield style and has a 2 stage military feel - take up the slack - breath and pull

It's like breaking a glass rod - three pounds on the nose on my brownies trigger pull scale

Inward curved profile metal buttplate finish matches high end blue on rifle - a commercial finish

The magazine has a different faded color to its finish than the receiver and bbl

The metal finish excepting the magazine is approx 90%

The muzzle - bore crown are impeccable

The bore was dark and frosted prior to cleaning - looks much brighter now with a hint of putting forward of the receiver for about an inch

Deep strong rifling - prominent lands and grooves

Front face of the trigger has some color loss fading to grey

Wood finish is approx 85% - light handling and field use and rack wear apparent but no scratches or dings or repairs visible

One of the forend screws has been buggered - the slot is a bit mangled up and scratched up

It's a very nice rifle with an action that's fast and slick as Teflon

There are no arraignments for a sling or for swivels

Under the buttplate is a slip of paper with the name "S. Peterson ESQ" and a Nyack NY address - letter head is from abecrombie and Fitch in NYC with a date of 1906 and a note in pencil to use the heaviest bullets available for best accuracy (this paper was cut down to fit under the butt plate and much or most of what was on it is missing having been cut out)

Other then cleaning the bore and the action internals and applying light oil were needed I don't know what else to do with it

I have wiped it down with a new silicon cloth. I have run some dummy ammo through the action.

This is an odd duck - they were commercial failures possible because the public was not ready for a bolt action repeater yet and I imagine they were damned pricey.

Certainly the market was flooded with trapdoors and rolling blocks and falling blocks and percussion guns that were still serviceable I guess.

Perhaps one of you can offer some more info or details or history

It was well taken care of - doubt it's been used in a hundred years

Please opine away or ask questions or make suggestions.

The list of chambering offered is pretty interesting to me.

Anybody have one or seen one???

Fair market vale estimation if sold at auction???

I have enjoyed this one - and would love to own and shoot it but I suspect it's worth a pile of coin.

Tell me what you think.

I had hoped that some of you would find it interesting.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)

Edited by - mrmike08075 on 11/14/2017 3:55:33 PM

Sam06
Advanced Member

11401 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  5:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe its a Remington Lee rifle. They were made initially for the military but lost out the Krag. Remington sporterized them and sold them to the public.

They came in:
7x57
30-30
7.65 arg
30-40
32-40

and several other popular Winchester calibers.

Neat rifles. I have shot one a long time ago in 30-30. The stocks were cut down like a British rifle. They have no safety and were meant to be carried on 1/2 cock.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6934 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  5:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - good point

No manual safety of any sort

The oversized embellished cocking piece at the rear of the bolt gets pulled back to half cock notch as a safety

Multiple front and rear locking lugs on the bolt

No receiver lug

Does look like the gun might accept a Lyman receiver mount aperture sight but what model or nomenclature is uncertain

I like this gun.

Sources say the bulk were shipped to south and central America for commercial sale at high end shops that catered to the wealthy

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)

Edited by - mrmike08075 on 11/13/2017 5:36:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
6951 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  5:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sam nailed it, Remington Lee Sporting Rifle, and I haven't seen one sell for less than $2,500.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6934 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  6:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It balances nearly perfectly in the crook of your arm and raises from carry to mount - sight - fire superbly...

The action is lightning quick and smooth.

Sights are a wee bit of an entry level disappointment

I would hazard the old boy bought her at A&F in NYC

It's purty.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
6951 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  6:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, if you can, post some pics!
Remington offered an optional Lyman No.1 Combination Cocking Piece Rear Sight, and a Lyman No.33 RL Receiver Sight.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6934 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  6:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trapp I will ask the owner if I can post pics

I am a fan of cocking piece sights...

No magazine disconnect.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6934 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  9:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one rifle that just should not have a scope mounted on it...

The lines and balance are to nice.

I wonder what the gun cost at abercrombie and Fitch back in the day...

It terms of today's dollars that is.

Very nice light wood transit chest with brass reinforced corners and a continuous piano hinge including space for a thin leather zippered soft case and a cleaning kit and 3 boxes of ammo...

Looks like marine plywood construction painted dark brown.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

35 Whelen
Advanced Member

USA
13377 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  10:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An 1885 Remington-Lee .45-70 is yet another rifle on my want (lust?) list.

Edited by - 35 Whelen on 11/13/2017 10:06:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6934 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  10:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the end of production they offered this one in .45-70

You would like this gun.

Everyone here would like this gun.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
6934 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  09:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The finely and heavily checkered areas at the wrist and fore end show up as very dark compared to the rest of the wood...

I wiped the stock down with a baby wipe followed by a warm damp cotton towel...

After air drying I wiped it down several times with a brand new silicon cloth...

Would look good between my Lee navy and my t* enfield.

Mike

Edited by - mrmike08075 on 11/14/2017 10:58:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page