GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Worksharp anyone's?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BikerBob

1875 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  10:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to be keeping a nice edge on knives using a ceramic rod. But I'm noticing that they need a bit of an edge cleanup to get them back near the original angle.

Anyone have any experience with a worksharp to get the angles back in shape for fine tuning via a very smooth stone?

JimmyJack
Advanced Member

USA
2691 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  10:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got one, works ok on roughing in knives, but I wouldnt use it on a good knife. Cant beat a good stone or diamond sharpener for finish work. I use it on cheap knives and have several grits.
Go to Top of Page

kenlguy

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  02:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use my Worksharp on everything from kitchen steak knives to my D2 steel hunting knives. It's just a matter of knowing what angle to set it at and what belts to use.
Replacing a slightly worn belt helps a lot too.

With enough practice, you can get a blade "scarey sharp"
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
2910 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  03:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Along with a good stone to get the edge sharp, I also like to strop my blades upon my old leather strop coated with fine jeweler's rouge.

It gives the edge a nice finish and takes out any micro burrs.
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
5032 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  2:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of the above. Best to finish on a fine big stone and take your time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

11419 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  2:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked into them and almost bought one.

My problem is I know how to sharpen a knife and I already have to tools to do it.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

guntech59
Advanced Member

Brunei
20971 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  4:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brookwood

Along with a good stone to get the edge sharp, I also like to strop my blades upon my old leather strop coated with fine jeweler's rouge.

It gives the edge a nice finish and takes out any micro burrs.

Finishing the edge is important. Stropping the edge smooth will help keep it sharper, longer.

US Army (Ret.)
1977-1998

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” — Jefferson`s “Commonplace Book,”

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”- Heraclitus.
Go to Top of Page

bigoutside
Advanced Member

South Sandwich Islands
18123 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  7:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some folk who swear by them.

I just don’t like the idea of possibility work hardening my knives by accident.
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

11419 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigoutside

I know some folk who swear by them.

I just don’t like the idea of possibility work hardening my knives by accident.

I thought the same thing plus what do I need it for? I am not using a knife or knives that much that I need one. If I ran a Salmon cannery or a butcher shop I would understand but to me I have the tools and the time to sharpen my knives.

Its like Krueige its a crutch. I make good coffee with a press and I can sharpen a knife.

YMMV

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11352 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  7:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worksharp makes some good systems. The field sharpener is great, I bought some as presents. I just got a larger model and it works great also.

The belt sharpener. I have one, it will sharpen knives quick and they are sharp. However, the edge does not hold. The knives dull quickly. That rounded edge just doesn't make the cut for hunting knives or pocket knives. It's great for serrated kitchen knives.

I sharpened my knives with the belt sharpener and went deer hunting. Field dressing went okay, skinning and quartering, not so well. The knives dulled quickly, and these are knives I've been using for years. I had to fix the bevel and sharpen them by hand.

Like I said, the filed sharpener and the table model are great products and I recommend them.

Edited by - SCOUT5 on 11/14/2017 7:46:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31020 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  08:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got the Ken Onion version. It works pretty good for general utility sharpening, but I wouldn't even think about putting one of the wife's Wustoff's or Henckel's on it. Those I do by hand on an oil stone and leather strop.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 11/15/2017 08:54:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page