GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Commercial Stove????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31018 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  07:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone installed a commercial stove in their home? Not a commercial 'style' stove, but an actual commercial restaurant grade stove.

I want to put a commercial stove in for our upcoming kitchen remodel project. The wife found some 'scare' articles (likely written by residential stove manufacturers) and now she's concerned.

A couple notes...I very much DO intend on venting the stove properly, with the required CFM for the stove BTU's, so we will have a proper hood system (with grease recovery and all the trimmings). I will probably stop short of putting an ANSUL system in because it's not going to be a commercial kitchen. But other than that it will go in with all the correct plumbing and HVAC.

Some of the reasons she's been given to scare her are:

- They will void your homeowners insurance (I seriously doubt this if everything is done to Code).
- They're a fire hazard (again, I doubt it if all done per Code which it will be).

Like to get your thoughts.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
9893 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  07:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister-in-law has a 48" Wolf commercial stove in her house. It's great to cook on, but it uses pilot lights instead of electronic igniters so it is constantly giving off heat. In the summer they usually shut off the gas to it and cook strictly outdoors due to this. It just puts out too much heat all the time.
Obviously, if you can find one that uses electronic igniters you will avoid this issue.
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31018 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  07:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a pilot light gives off that much heat?

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Go to Top of Page

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
9893 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  08:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

6 of 'em! And they're pretty big! There's one for each burner (4), one for the griddle, and one for the oven. The dang thing will about run you out of the kitchen in the summer, even when you're not using it!
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31018 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  08:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

quote:

6 of 'em! And they're pretty big! There's one for each burner (4), one for the griddle, and one for the oven. The dang thing will about run you out of the kitchen in the summer, even when you're not using it!

Huh...I'll keep this in mind!

Thanks!

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4980 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2nd on the pilot lights,,the wife used to manage a large seafood place,,they had 2 large vikings, one had 6 the other 7 pilot lights,,would warm the kitchen even in the winter,,2nd is your gas line supply has to be large with enough pressure to supply that big bugger or your burners will not operate correctly,
Go to Top of Page

1911a1-fan
Advanced Member

43792 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  1:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh...I'll keep this in mind!

Thanks!

there is a screw adjustment between the dials for the pilot light, no need to turn off the gas, you can easily adjust the pilot to nothing or up to the flame of 2 full bic lighters

keep them clean and there is absolutely no fire hazard beyond any residential stove, in all my years of cooking on one at work and at home was actually last week when a 24 burner double oven wolf caught fire, there is a bought and 8" void between the 2 ovens that collected grease over the years, and one of the ovens was not utilized for that long, and both where turned on at 500 degrees and ignited the grease and lint build up, that particular stove has a horrible design flaw with this void that slowly catches grease and is not accessible unless you pull it out and unscrew a back panel, i found a gap that leaked into this void that most ovens do not have

my personal wolf was a 4 burner 1/2 grill with full sheet pan oven, i turned the grill pilot off and the stove top pilots down, they are designed kind of like turbo pilot lights to stay on during the updraft of commercial hoods , just line the grease trays with foil and keep them clean

and yes i was the only one that kept a cool head and knew about the rear access and was able to pull it out and put a fire extinguisher in a vent hole to put it out while everyone was in a panic, these stoves are very simple to maintain and work on compared to residential stoves

Go to Top of Page

1911a1-fan
Advanced Member

43792 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  1:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some have a slot between the dials like the one pictured, others require you to remove the grate to access the pilot adjustment screw

Go to Top of Page

evileye fleagal
Advanced Member

USA
3833 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  3:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the Vulcans, they had good stuff 30 years ago for high end homes.

dont whine,it makes you look stupid an me want to kick you
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15313 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  9:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your wife really doesn't want to do this. (She may not know it yet, but she will --- after you have finished the job.)

Residential hoods won't meet the manufacturers' requirements for a commercial stove. One of my commercial customers had to run a new supply line TO THE STREET, & that alone cost him $30,000. You will need a lot more room around the range to allow for clearance to combustibles, as well as a complete custom hood system down to the floor. That big fan on the roof may not make your wife or the neighbors happy. At this point, you may as well go for the ANSUL system.

Allow for another HVAC to cool the kitchen; commercial stoves put out a lot of heat, & wives don't like to sweat unless they are working out in the health club. The oven doors are heavier than residential stoves, so she may not have the strength to open/close them.

Take her to a custom kitchen showroom; she might be happy with the faux commercial Vulcan. It doesn't cook any better than a residential stove, but at least she can get her custom tile back splash, with the articulating arm faucet.

Neal

Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

12982 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  11:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of cooking are you planning that Wolf or Vulcan can't handle?

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

mlincoln
Advanced Member

4904 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  01:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister had a big ass stove installed at her weekend place. Six or eight big gas burners, looked like stove enough for three homes.

I'm always amused because she, and a lot of other people I know, seem to buy these huge stoves and then never have time to cook. Monster stove, and she's always getting delivered Chinese or Indian food.

Funny!
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
2899 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  05:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kind of go the other way when it comes to a kitchen cooking stove.

I always liked the big wood burning stove that my grandmother had when I was growing up. She could make meals on that thing that engrained my tasted buds forever!

I have seen a few modern equivalent's that appear to be made like brick poop houses and copy the design and overall style of the old stoves. Don't really know if they are any good but such a simple set up and nothing like the rocket science of today, seems logical.

Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31018 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gearheaddad

What kind of cooking are you planning that Wolf or Vulcan can't handle?

None. Wolf and Vulcan are two that I am looking at, among others. Just commercial ones though, not the residential versions.

Viking is another.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 11/15/2017 07:15:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31018 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nmyers

Your wife really doesn't want to do this. (She may not know it yet, but she will --- after you have finished the job.)

Residential hoods won't meet the manufacturers' requirements for a commercial stove. One of my commercial customers had to run a new supply line TO THE STREET, & that alone cost him $30,000. You will need a lot more room around the range to allow for clearance to combustibles, as well as a complete custom hood system down to the floor. That big fan on the roof may not make your wife or the neighbors happy. At this point, you may as well go for the ANSUL system.

Allow for another HVAC to cool the kitchen; commercial stoves put out a lot of heat, & wives don't like to sweat unless they are working out in the health club. The oven doors are heavier than residential stoves, so she may not have the strength to open/close them.

Take her to a custom kitchen showroom; she might be happy with the faux commercial Vulcan. It doesn't cook any better than a residential stove, but at least she can get her custom tile back splash, with the articulating arm faucet.

Neal

Ummm...the wife is a licensed and classically trained "Chef". She is a Baltimore Culinary Institute graduate and worked as a professional chef for many years. She's fully aware of how they operate and how heavy duty they are. This is one of the principle reasons we're even looking into doing this...she just got spooked about putting one in a house.

And yes, I am aware of the HVAC requirements and the fact that a regular residential hood will not work. We will be putting in a commercial hood (with makeup air).

Gas line to the house is fine, but we will have to increase the size of the lateral off of the main.

edit...I'll check with her though...when she comes back inside. Right now she's outside stacking 50lb bags of feed for the cattle...in the dark. (She really is pretty tough).

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 11/15/2017 07:27:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

gjshaw
Advanced Member

8954 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be nosy or anything but what are the advantages of a commercial over a residential stove? Higher heat or what else?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31018 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Higher heat, more heat (as in BTU's), faster temperature variation, WAY more durable, more functionality, larger cooking surface, larger ovens. Double oven arrangements (which is what we're looking for).

We're looking for a 60"-72" stove, so they're one hell of a lot bigger. They're also deeper too, 36" vs. 30" (which means a deeper space is required, but we've figured that into the design already).

edit...oh, and to be honest...cool factor. Additionally, we both love to cook, and cook all kinds of exotic stuff. We are constantly running into limitations of other stoves so we just decided to go balls-out on the stove / oven arrangement.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Edited by - Flying Clay Disk on 11/15/2017 07:57:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

12982 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!
I didn't realize your wife was a professional chef. Now, I get it! My Niece is a pro and she has a commercial looking stove with a "french"(?) burner
Another friend is a professional chef and he has a very cool professional looking oven.
Let us know what you decide! We did a complete remake of our kitchen a few years ago, and couldn't be happier! Cost a small fortune, but worth every penny!

My Grandpa always said "sounds like too much thinking, why don't you try aiming!"
Go to Top of Page

1911a1-fan
Advanced Member

43792 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  11:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Higher heat, more heat (as in BTU's), faster temperature variation, WAY more durable, more functionality, larger cooking surface, larger ovens. Double oven arrangements (which is what we're looking for).

We're looking for a 60"-72" stove, so they're one hell of a lot bigger. They're also deeper too, 36" vs. 30" (which means a deeper space is required, but we've figured that into the design already).

edit...oh, and to be honest...cool factor. Additionally, we both love to cook, and cook all kinds of exotic stuff. We are constantly running into limitations of other stoves so we just decided to go balls-out on the stove / oven arrangement.

+ heavy duty and will last several lifetimes, easy moving large heavy pots from burner to burner, ovens can handle full sheet pans and have a better constant temperature, while 90% of daily cooking could be achieved on any stove its great to have the versatility when needed, and if you get one with a grill its the bees knees

as far as ansul systems go, have any of you priced them ?

while anyone could install one in a home commercial systems cannot, my 72" system in my bar was 5,500 installed with a 1,500 annual inspection fee 1,500 dollar recharge fee, only one licensed company in my county that could qualify for inspection, and never in my many years did i ever see one needed, ive seen fires but never needed more than a hand held

Go to Top of Page

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
9893 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  11:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I will be building our retirement home in about four years and we're starting to pull some ideas together. A couple of things I want are a nice 6 burner, electronic ignition cooktop and a set of large convection double ovens. doesn't have to be full-on professional, but would like to get something durable serviceable. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, FCD, and for any input you might have, 1911. I've looked at some of the Zline stuff and they talk it up petty good and it seems to have reasonaable pricing. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

1911a1-fan
Advanced Member

43792 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  11:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My wife and I will be building our retirement home in about four years and we're starting to pull some ideas together. A couple of things I want are a nice 6 burner, electronic ignition cooktop and a set of large convection double ovens. doesn't have to be full-on professional, but would like to get something durable serviceable. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, FCD, and for any input you might have, 1911. I've looked at some of the Zline stuff and they talk it up petty good and it seems to have reasonaable pricing. Any thoughts?

sorry i do not, nor fisher and paykel that both look very nice

American is my personal favorite followed by wolf sub-zero, then Vulcan, some Vulcans have backwards knobs and drives me crazy

when looking into one make sure you see it in person, some are built like tanks and the steel is thicker than a 57 chevy, some of the newer models are thin skinned and look like you can dent them as easy as a newer car

Duke is one of them, my wife worked there in accounting and most of their stuff is from china with their name on it, i suspect others are maybe doing this with lower in models, they do manufacture some equipment in saint louis its a crap shoot, we just got one of their convection ovens and it looks like a china made frail piece of work, i give it about 1-2 years

Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31018 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  2:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not planning on installing an Ansul system. Don't think it's required in residential. I have installed several though (not me personally but on several of my projects ) Built two very large commercial kitchens for colleges. Those systems started at about $50k and went up for there.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Go to Top of Page

HandLoad
Advanced Member

14920 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  3:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife and I both wish that the scale of Our Kitchen would accommodate a Commercial Range and Ovens!

I would bet that Our present Kitchen does not have a Stout enough Floor design to support such Wonders anyways....

Laudate Nomen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page