GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Correct Leather Tie Down for Arvo Ojala Holster ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zvette

101 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  11:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where would I get the dimensions and description of the correct leather tie down (that ties around your leg) and the upper leather string that I am guessing loops over the revolver hammer? Other than that the holster is in great shape. Marking is ARVO OJALA, MAKER, HOLLYWOOD, PAT. PEND. on 4 lines on back. Thanks

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
6976 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  9:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Martin would know, you can find him on the Great Western website.
http://gwcollector.proboards.com/

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5351 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  1:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cowboys were very field expedient, whatever worked for them was correct.
Go to Top of Page

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
6778 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  6:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charliemeyer007

Cowboys were very field expedient, whatever worked for them was correct.

That's what I thought too, never heard of such measurements before but I'm willing to listen & learn
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
6976 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2017 :  11:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Martin worked with Arvo Ojala, teaching actors to be gunslingers. Arvo was an interesting guy, if there was one man that defined the Hollywood cowboy gunman, it was him. Google his name and read about some of the things you've seen in the movies and TV, and never knew it was him. He was the guy that Marshall Dillon shoots in the opening scene of the TV series, and made the holster rig for Paladin. There's a long list of actors he taught to fast draw too.
But like Charlie said, there were no real measurements. Jim can tell you the right way to tie it down, then you could trim the excess.
I've spent hours on the phone with Jim, he's a walking history book on Hollywood cowboys. This is him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NENL7cNVXnc

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

zvette

101 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The holster was my dad's and he was a stunt guy in Hollywood (mostly westerns in the late 1930's and 1940's) for a while, but about 8 years older than Arvo Ojala. My dad also worked on a ranch in Yakima Washington at one time. So I have some intriguing links that they may have crossed paths but don't know for sure. Yakima Canutt and his son were often mentioned by my dad. I remember a lot of characters from those days visiting with us. Holster is newer than my dad's stunt days but still I wonder ??

Edited by - zvette on 12/08/2017 11:58:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17744 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  3:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I worked for Lockheed Aircraft, in Burbank CA, back in the 60's. I went into Ojala's store a couple of times. It was in North Hollywood CA, (San Fernando Valley). Actually, miles from Hollywood.

I though it was kind of bizarre way to do business. As the guy who worked in the store, was a Latino who couldn't speak English.

Wanted to buy a 45 magazine belt pouch. Ojala made a nice open top one, that held the mags at 45 degree angle securely. Had to use sign language. To get to try to get the guy, to understand what I wanted.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page