GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Walther P38 and P1 Interchangeably?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hermiem

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  01:38:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to know if the P38 steel frame can replace the P1's aluminium one? Also, can the receiver parts be interchanged? I've been trying to find P38 steel lowers but haven't had much luck. Anybody know where I possibly could locate one?

TIAFYC

hermiem

nmyers
Advanced Member

15365 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  08:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you should be able to put a P1 slide on a P38 frame, & it will function well.

Most small parts on the frame will interchange, but not all. Certainly not the hex nut in late P1 frames. Although we have no statistics, some early P1 frames cracked, due to poor metallurgy (&, possibly, more powerful European 9mm ammo). Walther fixed the problem by embedding a hardened steel hex nut in the frame of later P1's. That probably explains why you can buy all the P1 slides you could want for $25.

All steel P38 frames were German wartime production, with all other parts made from steel. It's pretty uncommon for one of them to fail, so I wouldn't expect to see steel lowers offered for sale.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

hermiem

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  12:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea where I can purchase a P38 lower?

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by nmyers

Yes, you should be able to put a P1 slide on a P38 frame, & it will function well.

Most small parts on the frame will interchange, but not all. Certainly not the hex nut in late P1 frames. Although we have no statistics, some early P1 frames cracked, due to poor metallurgy (&, possibly, more powerful European 9mm ammo). Walther fixed the problem by embedding a hardened steel hex nut in the frame of later P1's. That probably explains why you can buy all the P1 slides you could want for $25.

All steel P38 frames were German wartime production, with all other parts made from steel. It's pretty uncommon for one of them to fail, so I wouldn't expect to see steel lowers offered for sale.

Neal

hermiem
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page