GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Rem. model seven
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hawkshaw

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  3:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone out there that has any hands on experience with this gun in the "Predator" model. Probably .243 cal. I assume that it is the basic model 7 under the camo. THX GUYS

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7842 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  4:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Model 7 FS from the 1987 era. It is in 308 Winchester chambering. They were well made rifles then, and not much has changed to now. I am sure they have tried to cut out some expense in manufacturing, and the new trigger is an abomination of an abortion.

EDIT 1

The Model 7 FS I have, was a very limited edition, that was supposed to be produced in 1987-1989. They were made in 1987, and the remaining two years, the stocks were fixed on warranty. It came factory with a Brown Precision stock, and with the 18 1/2" barrel, it was cataloged, and still does hold the title of Remingtons Lightest Production rifle ever! I have a 3-9 Compact Leupold on it, and with 5 rounds of ammo, and the sling, it tips in at 6 pounds, 2 ounces.

As Mr. Nononsense says, give it a good pillar bedding(I also relieve the pressure point in the stock 2" behind the forend tip), and trigger adjustment(this one had one of the older style 700 triggers, that are awesome. With the abortion they use for a trigger today, I would just trade it our for a Timney), and some barrel break in, it will do anything that needs doing out to about 400 yards...that is where 9x will take you to.

Take a look at these auctions on the otherside...
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/BrowseItems.aspx?IncludeSellers=484399

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=716063

Edited by - tsr1965 on 12/06/2017 06:33:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
3722 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  4:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always liked the 7 and thought if I was a hunter here in SE NC it would likely be my choice. If I was looking I personally would absolutely want an older gun when Remington remembered how to make a decent rifle.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5520 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  6:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best model 7 I ever saw was a custom that had a 6mm Dasher barrel on it. The inherent "shorterness" lends itself well to the short cartridge crowd...IMO.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9963 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  2:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkshaw

Anyone out there that has any hands on experience with this gun in the "Predator" model. Probably .243 cal. I assume that it is the basic model 7 under the camo. THX GUYS

Yes, it is. The camo and the synthetic stock allow Remington to give it yet another in long list of names as variation.

A little smoothing of the action, a break in on the barrel and a good bedding job often results in a very nice handling, accurate rifle.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

Tflogger
Advanced Member

3037 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  7:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ricci Wright

I always liked the 7 and thought if I was a hunter here in SE NC it would likely be my choice. If I was looking I personally would absolutely want an older gun when Remington remembered how to make a decent rifle.

I have a first year model seven in 308, walnut and blue.
I looked at a newer one in 260 with a plastic stock and did not want it.
ymmv.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7102 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  10:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remington model 7 bolt action rifle
Chambered in .223
Black synthetic Kevlar and nylon stock
Flat stainless Steel bbl and action
Jeweled bolt - trigger shoe
Bbl is short and round lightweight profile
Leopold flat stainless compact 2-7x scope
It's the latest generation / iteration / model variant I believe
Post 2000 production
Per Remington letter / inquiry response the gun went through the custom shop prior to being shipped (action was blueprinted and trigger was worked on as was the muzzle crown profile)

The previous owner had it special ordered to meet his individual specification - he died shortly after it was delivered

His brother from Florida was settling / handling the estate and he brought it into the gunship I was working at - I could not match the gun to any specific variant in the catalog or my reference library

It was similar to one being offered to dealers through Davidson's (wholesaler / distributor) so I offered to buy it what my cost would be if I ordered the one in the sales flier from the distributor

The seller was going back home to Florida and did not want to take the gun with him - so he sold it to me as noted above

The gun with scope mounted weighs at a little over 5 lbs and definitely qualifies as a factory lightweight rifle

Remington was able to tell me that the invoice from the custom shop was $1495.00 (they were willing to provide a factory letter and a copy of the detailed custom shop invoice for an exorbitantly high cost so I passed)

The gun is super light and it's weight makes it easy to carry all day long but it's weight also has a negative effect on accuracy - it requires practice and familiarity / a special learned skill set in order to print good groups under field conditions

Stabilized in a sled brace bench rest device it prints super tight and small groups so I know it can shoot well but I cannot duplicate those groups under field conditions

I have had no problems with the gun so far

Probably an ideal gun to carry in the field all day as its light and compact from a design standpoint

I am certain that with practice I could get the gun to shoot smaller groups

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page