GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Origin of rifle stock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hoekster73@yahoo.com
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  09:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently picked up a nice sporterized m1903 on GunBroker. It was assembled by Golden State Arms, “back in the day.” It is what they call their “Mk 1 model 12013.”
What I am curious about is the origin of this rifle’s stock. It may or may not be the stock that GSA put on it, but judging from the quality of the inletting work, I am inclined to think that it was added by an earlier owner. It is a monte carlo style stock with a thin, flat-bottomed and rather angular forearm. Inside the inletting, it is stamped KODIAK along with the number 82. I am thinking that the name refers to model or stock design, while the number is probably a code for the m1903 action. I have not seen this stock in some of the older Fajen or Bishop catalogs I have looked through, but my research has not been all that thorough. I am wondering if any of you may know where this stock came from. Thanks!

Harris Hoekwater

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17743 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  12:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a Kodiak Company in Conn. back in the mid 60's. For a short period of time. They did produce a semi-auto 22 mag rifle, and bolt action center fires. After 50+ years, they are very uncommon.

Although their earlier rifles, were made as a subcontractor for Colt. And were sold under the Colt name. They would be more commonly encountered. Than the Kodiak's.

Go to Top of Page

hoekster73@yahoo.com
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  4:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rufe-snow, I am familiar with the folks you speak of, but I am pretty sure they are not connected to the GSA stock that I have. I suspect it is a product of one of the many companies that used to produce 95% inletted rifle stocks in the 50s and 60s. Thanks for the input!

Harris Hoekwater
Go to Top of Page

amparts

172 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the conversion and repair work done by Golden State Arms was done in Puerto Rico because of labor costs. Many parts were mad by Toyo in Japan. Think that the stocks would have been made here, shipping too expensive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page