GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 House Passed it
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

select-fire
Advanced Member

54426 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  8:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
National Conceal carry

Alpine
Advanced Member

11884 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  8:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The devil is in the details. Is there a copy online for us common folk to read?

Your mileage may vary.
“Every time a system is made foolproof - a new class of fool emerges.”
Prod Harris

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."

"Profanity is the linguistics of the inarticulate."

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

In a follow-up story, local police are considering charging Mr. Lapointe with felony stupid. The usual additional charge of Ignorant in a Smart Zone will not be applied, due to the rural location of the incident, according to a police spokesman.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and Always win." Clint Smith

I come from a State that raises corn and cotton and cock-leburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me.
- Willard D. Vandiver

The burden of proof lies on the plaintiff.
- Legal maxim
"The trouble with Communism is that eventually you run out of other people's money?"
Margaret Thatcher 1976

To what level of stupidity do you want to address?
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

54426 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  8:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On to the Senate...
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29597 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  8:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a federal law that requires every state to honor another states' drivers license?

Just wondering.....

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29597 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  8:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine

The devil is in the details. Is there a copy online for us common folk to read?

Here: https://judiciary.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/HR-38-ANS.pdf

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

USA
26039 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  8:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by us55840

Is there a federal law that requires every state to honor another states' drivers license?

Just wondering.....

Except for commercial vehicles and commercial licensing, there is very little federal legislation on driver’s licenses, and the post-9/11 legislation requiring “enhanced identification” has been unpopular and has yet to be adopted by several states.

Recipracality of drivers licenses dates all the way back to 1933 when the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators drew up the Driver License Agreement, which is an interstate compact by which the states honor licenses issued by other member states. Every state is a member of the compact, which is in no way regulated by the federal government.

A little known compact was the Machinegun Compact, which began in an effort by several states to self regulate machineguns in a effort to stave off federal legislation regulating the sales and use of machineguns by private citizens. It was too little, too late and the National Firearms Act of 1934 rendered the compact null and void.
Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
45733 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by select-fire

National Conceal carry

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
25491 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just wondering.....

ARTICLE IV.

SECTION 1. Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State, And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
11609 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes they passed it but it has that garbage “Fix NICS” bill attached to it. The Senate probably won’t pass it and then the NRA can start calling for more money to fight for gun rights again while stabbing us in the back. These two bills combined are just like when the NRA was shaking our hands with FOPA and stabbing us with the ‘86 machine gun ban at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

jerrywh818

USA
1883 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  01:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All states must honor other states drivers licensees because of the interstate commerce clause in the constitution. I can not see where this would apply to firearms. If it did I could legally sell a pistol to a man from another state without going through another FFl

ant dancer
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

54426 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  04:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruger41

Yes they passed it but it has that garbage “Fix NICS” bill attached to it. The Senate probably won’t pass it and then the NRA can start calling for more money to fight for gun rights again while stabbing us in the back. These two bills combined are just like when the NRA was shaking our hands with FOPA and stabbing us with the ‘86 machine gun ban at the same time.

The NICS attachment will hopefully get it thru the Senate. Just a way to satisfy Joe Citizen to thinking the govt. has a solution to keep from having guns in the wrong hands. Nothing will most likely change.
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
3040 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  04:25:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the laws regarding acceptance of all states drivers license's are often overruled by various localities.

I was once stopped by a cop for speeding in Sumter SC. I was only 5 over the speed limit and was driving a car with SC plates.

The officer was quite friendly and cordial and was just about to let me go until he looked closely at my Michigan drivers license and saying now just where are you from?............
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

15166 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  04:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. I can now pack more than a lunch in California .
Go to Top of Page

Spider7115

USA
27538 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  07:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This article says the bill is doomed in the Senate. I hope it's wrong.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/joannaallhands/2017/12/06/concealed-carry-bill-national-reciprocity-fail/926631001/

-"SPIDER"

ALLAH KA-BAR!

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Edited by - Spider7115 on 12/07/2017 07:47:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29597 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  09:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Huh? I read they attached the concealed carry as an amendment to the 'FIX NICS' bill to push it thru but some places just say the 'combined' the two.

"A Victory For Gun Rights As The House Passes The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
Posted at 5:45 pm on December 6, 2017 by Brandon Morse

Gun rights supporters scored a victory today as House Republicans passed the national reciprocity bill that would allow gun owners to legally conceal carry their firearms across state lines if they have a license to do so.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act passed 231-198 with all Republicans voting yes, and only six Democrats voting alongside, according to Fox News.

“For the millions of law-abiding citizens who lawfully carry concealed to protect themselves, for conservatives who want to strengthen our Second Amendment rights, and for the overwhelming majority of Americans who support concealed carry reciprocity, Christmas came early,” said Rep. Richard Hudson, (R-N.C.), the bill’s sponsor.

But now the bill will move onto the senate where it will merge with the controversial “Fix NICS” bill, which has been a point of contention between Republican politicians. “Fix NICS” was introduced by Texas Republican Sen. John Cornyn, and co-sponsored by well known gun-control advocates Diane Feinstein and Chuck Schumer.

This inclusion of the bill raised alarm from politicians such as Kentucky Representative Thomas Massie, who made a video warning his colleagues against pairing “Fix NICS” with the reciprocity bill. Massie said that the bill includes almost $1 billion in order to expand NICS, and also pressures government agencies to include thousands of people into the database in order to deny them their rights.

The National Rifle Association, however, disagrees with this assessment, and says the bill merely forces government agencies to report names that should already be included into the database by way of punishment if they don’t.

How Republicans will tackle the bill with Fix NICS included is yet to be seen, but internal conflicts aren’t the only thing that will plague reciprocity. According to Fox News, gun-control advocates are receiving some $25 million from ex-New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, through his Everytown for Gun Safety group in order to help fight the reciprocity bill from going through."

With this congress, it's highly likely NOTHING will get done.

Abraham Lincoln

Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  09:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hope and prayer along with emails to reps on NRA emails is for passage...

Agree that this do nothing Senate leaves small hope of fruition for this dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

rong
Advanced Member

USA
6316 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  09:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not very good anymore of comprehending a long article/law.(My mind keeps wandering)
If this passes will I (living in NH with pistol permit)
be able to carry in Massachusetts going down to visit my cousin.
Go to Top of Page

SG
Advanced Member

USA
6039 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  09:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful what you wish for. This NICSfix bill that's attached to it is nothing more than a gun registry. It's so broad in it's language that it makes it real easy for them to deem anyone they choose, unfit to own a firearm. My God,this added bill is sponsored by Schumer and Fienstein! Does this not raise a flag with any of you?
Go to Top of Page

rong
Advanced Member

USA
6316 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good ole "We have to pass it so we can read it".
Go to Top of Page

JIM STARK

1712 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SG

Be careful what you wish for. This NICSfix bill that's attached to it is nothing more than a gun registry. It's so broad in it's language that it makes it real easy for them to deem anyone they choose, unfit to own a firearm. My God,this added bill is sponsored by Schumer and Fienstein! Does this not raise a flag with any of you?

This article is interesting....Don't know about accuracy???

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/report-national-reciprocity-bill-trojan-horse-gun-contro l-provision

JIM............
Go to Top of Page

SG
Advanced Member

USA
6039 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  11:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As usual, the NRA and a majority of rinos, support this compromise of your 2nd amendment rights. What is so hard about understanding, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!
Go to Top of Page

SG
Advanced Member

USA
6039 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  11:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you're wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by Spider7115

This article says the bill is doomed in the Senate. I hope it's wrong.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/joannaallhands/2017/12/06/concealed-carry-bill-national-reciprocity-fail/926631001/

Go to Top of Page

Don McManus
Advanced Member

USA
25089 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark christian

quote:

Just wondering.....

Except for commercial vehicles and commercial licensing, there is very little federal legislation on driver’s licenses, and the post-9/11 legislation requiring “enhanced identification” has been unpopular and has yet to be adopted by several states.

Recipracality of drivers licenses dates all the way back to 1933 when the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators drew up the Driver License Agreement, which is an interstate compact by which the states honor licenses issued by other member states. Every state is a member of the compact, which is in no way regulated by the federal government.

A little known compact was the Machinegun Compact, which began in an effort by several states to self regulate machineguns in a effort to stave off federal legislation regulating the sales and use of machineguns by private citizens. It was too little, too late and the National Firearms Act of 1934 rendered the compact null and void.

This is an excellent example, and thank you, Mark.

A federal reciprocity law will do exactly what is noted above when the Feds decided to get involved with Driver Licenses. Absent a clear statement that the law does not and shall never be used to establish conditions for individual state CCW laws, we will devolve into a nation of permitted carry dictated and directed by those who would place as many restrictions or conditions as they feel they can get away with.

'Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.'
Brad Steele.

'The Constitution that was actually enacted and formally amended creates islands of government powers in a sea of liberty. The judicially redacted constitution creates islands of liberty rights in a sea of governmental powers.'
Randy E. Barnett

CA #3

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44512 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we are in favor of federal law overriding states rights now? Not me.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

49582 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  1:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

So we are in favor of federal law overriding states rights now? Not me.

Same. I understand why the NRA supports it as they have always pushed for laws that allow the government to decide who is worthy to have a gun. But this is nothing but bad law, particularly because of the NCIS fix nonsense.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

49582 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a few reasons why the NICS fix portion is bad.
https://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2017/12/06/thomas-massie-cant-vote-reciprocity-democrat-co-sponsored-fix-nics-bill/

Massie is on record saying he doesn't really like the recirprocity aspect too but views it as a good compromise.

Problem is, it doesn't address things like "what if your state has Constitutional carry and doesn't require a permission slip to exercise your rights?" (among other things)

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

G1

Edited by - Mr. Perfect on 12/07/2017 1:17:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

casper1947

USA
1129 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  4:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it were to pass the Senate, which I doubt, the Constitutional Carry issue will be one of the first legal challenges to the bill.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/12/07/gohmert-fix-nics-gun-control-expansion-cannot-support/

I have never understood the States Right claim for ignoring the 2nd amendment. My copy does not say - shall not be infringed except by State law or local ordnance. This is no more a states right than any of the first amendment, 5th, or any other. When the States joined the union (OK except for the CW) these were the rules, if you don't like it change it, don't ignore it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms (we think they need), shall not be infringed. (ID and background check required)

"The success of campaign lies depends ultimately on how willing the public is to be stampeded without bothering to stop and think." Thomas Sowell

Go to Top of Page

Oakie
Advanced Member

25684 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  5:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gonna be a uphill battle in the senate. If it does pass, you will see many gun free zones pop up all over our communist state of NJ. They already plan on doing this in most restaurants, mall, movie theaters and so on. God I hate this F'in state.
Go to Top of Page

TrinityScrimshaw
Advanced Member

USA
8986 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  9:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it will allow a “qualified” individual to carry across state lines.

But, what will they consider “qualified”? If you can pass a NICS check? That’s the standard in many States.

I hope this does pass just to tick off NY& CA. I wonder what under handed rules they will dredge up to try and make it too complicated for someone from out of State to try and carry in their State?...

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
11609 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  11:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw

But, what will they consider “qualified”? If you can pass a NICS check? That’s the standard in many States.

I hope this does pass just to tick off NY& CA. I wonder what under handed rules they will dredge up to try and make it too complicated for someone from out of State to try and carry in their State?...

Trinity +++

IF this ever passes the Senate, I bet The “qualified” part will be that you took an NRA certified ccw class even if your State has no requirements for class if you want to cross State lines...The NRA would love to get their hands into everything.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

49582 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  3:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw

Trinity +++

IF this ever passes the Senate, I bet The “qualified” part will be that you took an NRA certified ccw class even if your State has no requirements for class if you want to cross State lines...The NRA would love to get their hands into everything.

Yep. This is going to be a huge unconstitutional mess if it passes.

G1
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
39446 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  4:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at my Topic on this please add to it questions you may have. While I like it I see a huge mess trying to implement it. May even hurt drivers licenses.
Go to Top of Page

gruntled
Advanced Member

10252 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  4:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by casper1947

If it were to pass the Senate, which I doubt, the Constitutional Carry issue will be one of the first legal challenges to the bill.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/12/07/gohmert-fix-nics-gun-control-expansion-cannot-support/

I have never understood the States Right claim for ignoring the 2nd amendment. My copy does not say - shall not be infringed except by State law or local ordnance. This is no more a states right than any of the first amendment, 5th, or any other. When the States joined the union (OK except for the CW) these were the rules, if you don't like it change it, don't ignore it.

Not really. Those rights didn't apply to the states until the (13th, 14th, 15th?) amendment(s). Not sure which without looking them up.
Before that they only applied to the Federal Government.
Go to Top of Page

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
25491 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2017 :  6:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I thought there was one chance in hell this would be the only negative consequence I could support this bill. There is no doubt in my mind this bill (future law) will be the federal camel's nose in the tent. I can see the gun grabbers rubbing their hands together and yelling Whoopee Whoopee. They probably can't believe their luck. We are doing everything we can to pass their unconstitutional bill.

This isn't even a matter for the legislature. The entire subject is covered in the Constitution. The legislature's role in this should be to approve judges who have actually read, understood and agree with the Constitution.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page