GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Danger Danger Bungee
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
3722 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  10:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my utility building tonight and as I was reaching to turn out the lights I noticed a bungiee cord hanging from a shelf. I moved my left hand to scoop it back onto the shelf when somewhere deep down a primal DNA induced scream stopped me. At face level six inches from my left hand was ten inches of eastern diamondback perfectly motionless hanging from my shelf. It shook me up a little and I backed away. I know I probably should have killed the damn snake but I didn't. Hope I don't regret that.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
10640 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  10:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the first year in 17 years at my house that i did not kill under 15 snakes. I only saw 1 that got away. Plus i found 2 rather long snake skins though.

I did not spend as much time outside as i usually do.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15365 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's why they make shotguns.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

TooBig
Advanced Member

USA
24899 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

NO COUNTRY CAN SURVIVE OPEN BORDERS AND WELFARE XXXXXXXXX It's time for the Democraps use their brain and the Republicans to grow a Pair. Tell Congress it's time to Read the Bills First
Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
14349 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lucky you
those little voices we hear do some good
the bite may not have killed you but still I would not want to suffer thru a bite and treatment
too small for a hat band anyway
what did you do with it toss it out or just let him go back to sleep
Go to Top of Page

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
3722 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2017 :  11:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know exactly how big he was but not very large. As I said there was about ten inches hanging down and the rest was wrapped around a jar on rhe shelf. I told him he was welcome to stay warm for the night but needed to move on soon.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"
Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
45733 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  12:13:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ida Dun pooped myself,,,,then killed a snake

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
3040 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  04:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where I live, poison snakes are rarer than pink pearls. The Michigan Rattler, Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus) is known to live here but in my long life I have only seen one and I do a lot of woods activity.

Two years ago, someone thinks they saw one in a public park near a walking bridge. The local park service put up stupid warning signs everywhere which made an eyesore out of a beautiful landscape.

Edited by - Brookwood on 12/07/2017 04:56:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8058 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  06:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brookwood

Where I live, poison snakes are rarer than pink pearls. The Michigan Rattler, Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus) is known to live here but in my long life I have only seen one and I do a lot of woods activity.

Two years ago, someone thinks they saw one in a public park near a walking bridge. The local park service put up stupid warning signs everywhere which made an eyesore out of a beautiful landscape.

Rattlers in Michigan are mostly nocturnal. They are occasional found at Scout Camps when there are 100s of people running around.

Back in the 60's, the ranger from Proud Lake Rec used to catch Mississaugas under the roller coaster @ Walled Lake.

There are a few Golf courses in Northern Oakland cty where one has to be careful when retrieving an errant shot.
Go to Top of Page

mlincoln
Advanced Member

4939 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  07:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A million years ago I was on a scout trip up the NE Coast headed to Maine. We stopped at some Revolutionary War (?) site in MA (?) to look around, and while looking at an old rock wall we noticed a little snake slithering along next to it. We all looked closely and noticed noticed the triangular head and tail and sort of all silently thought, "Wow, that's a rattlesnake!"

Then some woman, not in our group but touring the site, bent down to pet the snake. Really, she bent down to pet the snake like it was a golden retriever in somebody's family room. My scoutmaster said, "Ma'am, I wouldn't do that. That's one of the dangerous ones."

Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11516 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a general rule I give snakes a pass, even poisonous ones. However, in my shed it would have to go. To much chance of reaching for something and surprising the snake.

Raising kids, any poisonous snake in the yard had to go too. There's just to much danger of surprising one and getting bit. I don't have anything against snakes, but I like myself and my children a lot more. We have a few rattlers here in Indiana, but all I've ever seen are copperheads.

Go to Top of Page

M1A762
Advanced Member

Niger
3066 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife FREAKS out when she sees a snake! For the most part all we have here are grass snakes, a big one will be three feet long.

We had a half dozen or so hanging around last summer, of course my wife found each one.

I would hear the scream, and know she found another snake.....
Go to Top of Page

mogley98
Advanced Member

USA
13324 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  5:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't care for snakes, never gonna wear one around my shoulders like some folks do.

I try to wear snake boots in season when I am working in the woods, luckily I have only seen one Rattler on my land and that one will never reproduce.

I might have had to burn that shed if I lost that snake though!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page