GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Types of Home Security Alarm Systems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43978 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  1:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David's thread to Captain Fun and Others hits on a subject that I am back to considering once again.

A few days ago a neighbor's home alarm went off for what seemed like about three to five minutes. It was the loud type. Loud enough to wake up the neighborhood and certainly run off any would be intruders in a heartbeat. Many of the homes in our sub-division have systems monitored by companies like ADT and Protect America, however, there is at least one home on our cul-de-sac to have a very loud alarm, only. This latter type of alarm has me to wondering if this is the better way to go?

Comments appreciated:

What's next

A couple of favorite quotes:

"What goes around comes around."

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

ni hao

715 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  2:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know much about the loud outside alarms. My neighbor had one and every time we had a thunder storm or strong wind the alarm would go off. Many times with them not at home and it was LOUD! Sometimes it was hours before they came home and reset it. The neighborhood got to where no one would pay attention when it went off, so if it was a thief that tripped it, he would have had free reign. The loud alarm would save you a bundle over a few years in monitoring fees.
I had ADT for years with no complaints until I moved to another house. ADT's monitoring fee went from $29.99 to $50.99 a month. Needless to say I changed to Simply Safe and $15.00 a month monitoring. It is transmitted via cell phone towers so no wires. So far no complaints but I have only had it about 4 months.
There are pros and cons with every system and hard to recommend a company to anyone. We all have different needs and expectations.
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22094 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  2:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our system is monitored and also has the very loud siren in the attic. The siren is to, hopefully, scare away anyone attempting to break in. We haven't had any false alarms.
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43978 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  2:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ni hao, thanks. I was on the SimpliSafe site when I saw your post. https://simplisafe.com/build-my-system And, they even have a loud indoor/outdoor alarm as well for 60 bucks. It's the "Extra 105dB Siren".

I like the idea of outside cameras too.

What's next

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43978 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  2:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old-Colts

Our system is monitored and also has the very loud siren in the attic. The siren is to, hopefully, scare away anyone attempting to break in. We haven't had any false alarms.

Sounds like you are double covered, Bill! I think these systems beat the expensive insurance premiums for collectibles.

What's next

Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
11609 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  3:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have ADT and I like the service. And easy to activate or check the status from my phone anywhere. I just installed motion sensors outside and I’m buying some ARLO wireless cameras which I can also view with my cell phone anytime.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

49582 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  3:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very loud alarm. Never had any problems though.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43978 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  3:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruger41

We have ADT and I like the service. And easy to activate or check the status from my phone anywhere. I just installed motion sensors outside and I’m buying some ARLO wireless cameras which I can also view with my cell phone anytime.

Looks like you are putting together a nice monitored system that you can view anytime you wish. I'm looking for a less expensive one than ADT offers.

What's next

Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22094 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kimi

quote:

Sounds like you are double covered, Bill! I think these systems beat the expensive insurance premiums for collectibles.
Also, I have NEST Security Cameras at strategic points inside our house, one NEST Security Camera that monitors our driveway and north side of the house, and a RING Floodlight Camera that monitors the backside and back porch of our house. The cameras aren't tied into our security system, but I get immediate alerts on my iPhone and iPad and my wife's iPhone if they detect any motion. I can then instantly view the video of the motion to see what it was and take any necessary actions if required.

Edit to add: I've also replaced all of our Smoke Detectors with NEST Protect Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors; which are monitored with the same iPhone/iPad NEST App as the Cameras.

Edited by - Old-Colts on 12/07/2017 5:48:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

bigoutside
Advanced Member

South Sandwich Islands
18224 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  4:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have SimpliSafe and Arlo Plus.
Very pleased.

Ring requires too much upload speed for my ISP plan. Had to send everything back. Good idea. Just not executable.

Arlo gives me more cameras for less $.
Go to Top of Page

TooBig
Advanced Member

USA
24899 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  4:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have simple safe plus I just put 2 outdoor Blink cameras up

NO COUNTRY CAN SURVIVE OPEN BORDERS AND WELFARE XXXXXXXXX It's time for the Democraps use their brain and the Republicans to grow a Pair. Tell Congress it's time to Read the Bills First
Go to Top of Page

beneteau
Advanced Member

7658 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have the SimpliSafe system. Haven't added monitoring yet, but will.

Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15365 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  5:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear a lot of ADT owners complain about their system; they bought based primarily on price.....

While Simplisafe equipment works well, they can't see your house & tell you, based on crime in your neighborhood, all the things that you need to know. Local law enforcement may tell you what's popular among crooks where you live. You also need to know where you need glass breaks, controls, traps, etc.

If you want it monitored, a phone line may not be best. State of the art is a Satlink transmitter, although a dedicated cell phone should be OK.

The newest systems are programmable. You can set the length of time your siren sounds, & the reset time. Some locals require a specific reset time.

Remember, you can easily add smoke & heat sensors, even a water sensor in case your water heater leaks.

My preference is the Claymore system, but replacements are difficult to find.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

cbxjeff
Advanced Member

USA
13190 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  5:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a system - yet. I had a bud who was a customer of ADT and his system could monitor smoke/fire. His house burned to the ground while he was out of town and ADT never notified anyone. Not only that, they continued to bill him monthly per his contract.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
5203 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  6:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a old hard wired system for years that needs upgrading but works. Interesting how folks act nicer when they notice the camera by the front door. When they come calling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

BT99

1114 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our security system consists of three cameras that you can't see and
two Rottweilers that you can see.
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22094 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nmyers

If you want it monitored, a phone line may not be best. State of the art is a Satlink transmitter, although a dedicated cell phone should be OK.
I agree!!! We plan to upgrade our landline monitored security system soon and will go with a Cellular or Sat connected system!!!!
Go to Top of Page

jltrent
Advanced Member

USA
10132 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These work pretty good, but can be loud.

Edited by - jltrent on 12/07/2017 8:26:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

10186 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 way cross mongrel. His alarm runs for hours if necessary.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24645 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a local security system,that has a loud alarm for fire as well as a break -in..also cameras for recording any intrusion,and most of all lights all over the place...alarm has went off when the house has been struck by lightning...
Go to Top of Page

TrinityScrimshaw
Advanced Member

USA
8986 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been looking into one of those video door alarms, but actually they are not alarms.

They send a live video to your phone to see who is at your door.

The reviews I have read are not very great. Seems they are very senistive to cars traveling up & down the street, and it can’t be mounted facing East, or the Sun rising can send false alerts.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
Go to Top of Page

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
16390 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2017 :  10:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other sensors that I highly recommend. Carbon Monoxide, Glass Break and water leak.

I have a water leak sensor in the overflow pan next to my condensate pump. When (not if) the line plugs up or the pump motor fails the float switch kills the AC and the alarm sounds the main alarm system.

I want to add auto shutoff valves on the water heater and the washer.

GunBroker.com Admin

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43978 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  07:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thanks to everyone for their response.

What's next

Go to Top of Page

mjrfd99

USA
2073 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptFun

Other sensors that I highly recommend. Carbon Monoxide, Glass Break and water leak.

I have a water leak sensor in the overflow pan next to my condensate pump. When (not if) the line plugs up or the pump motor fails the float switch kills the AC and the alarm sounds the main alarm system.

I want to add auto shutoff valves on the water heater and the washer.

Good recommendations, especially the CO alarm. CO kills.
Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43978 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  12:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruger41

Erik, my son just mentioned that a lot of the Arlo cameras are being returned to the stores they were bought from. You might want to double check any reviews or consumer reports about them.

What's next

Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
43978 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  12:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Also, I have NEST Security Cameras at strategic points inside our house, one NEST Security Camera that monitors our driveway and north side of the house, and a RING Floodlight Camera that monitors the backside and back porch of our house. The cameras aren't tied into our security system, but I get immediate alerts on my iPhone and iPad and my wife's iPhone if they detect any motion. I can then instantly view the video of the motion to see what it was and take any necessary actions if required.

Edit to add: I've also replaced all of our Smoke Detectors with NEST Protect Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors; which are monitored with the same iPhone/iPad NEST App as the Cameras.

Bill. I might try the NEST cameras and RING Floodlight Camera set up that you have. I was looking at the NEST Camera yesterday about the time that you posted. I might change out the smoke alarms on down the road with the NEST-CO alarms, but for now, I'll probably just buy a couple of separate Carbon Monoxide Detectors.

What's next

Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22094 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bill. I might try the NEST cameras and RING Floodlight Camera set up that you have. I was looking at the NEST Camera yesterday about the time that you posted. I might change out the smoke alarms on down the road with the NEST-CO alarms, but for now, I'll probably just buy a couple of separate Carbon Monoxide Detectors.

James, regarding the Smoke/CO Detectors; the detectors in our home were the house powered with battery backup units and they were interlinked. We had one in each bedroom, one outside the master bedroom, and one in the hallway outside the guest bedrooms. I replaced the ones that were outside the master and guest bedrooms with wired/battery backup NEST Protects and it was an easy change out without disturbing the interlinking of the old units. Since there wasn't one in my room (The Boonies), I installed a battery operated NEST Protect out there. Eventually I replaced the ones in the bedrooms with wired NEST Protects. The NEST Protects also have a nightlight feature that you can activate or deactivate; when you walk in a dark room that has one that is activated it will turn on an internal light that provides enough illumination to see where you're going. You might consider trying one instead of a dedicated CO detector.
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
9096 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  1:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cheapest Ring floodlight camera was $450, so I built an Arduino-based glass break, PIR, 850 lumen floodlight system that triggers an old cellphone to record video to a 64Gb SD card. Cost all of $65.

Costco had a 4 camera system with face recognition, auto zoom, motion following & a 2Tb DVR for around $850, and it had 8 channels, so you can add more cameras.

I had ADT for 15 years, and when the price hikes never stopped; I dumped the whole shebang.
ADT & others are lousy; your valuables are gone before the "monitor" makes the call to the dispatcher. Then you only have to wait an hour or so for LEOs to show up. If you add the "verification" call time, it could be MUCH longer.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22094 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  2:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gunnut505

The cheapest Ring floodlight camera was $450
I paid $229 for mine when they first came out. You can buy them for $200-$249.

That's an interesting kluge you put together, good job!
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
9096 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gunnut505

The cheapest Ring floodlight camera was $450
I paid $229 for mine when they first came out. You can buy them for $200-$249.

That's an interesting kluge you put together, good job!

I got a book called,"The Ultimate Arduino Cookbook" about 6 months ago. GREAT STUFF!!
A utube video or two on rigging cellphones to become video cameras helped with the teensy tiny circuitry hack.
Arduino, for those that don't know, is an open source code for programming microcontrollers like the Uno R3 Micro to do things for you.
If you're curious, look at arduino.cc.en for freeware, info & highly informative blog. There are literally thousands of "scripts" ( the program code that tells your Arduino what to do) online for your perusal.

My next effort involves a WiFi shield (a plug-in device), a microwave proximity sensor, and a solar panel

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page