GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Best recoil spring for 1911 .45 ACP
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

7.62x39Lover
Advanced Member

USA
4014 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Guys!

I always get good advice on things in here so I am going to try my luck again!

I am breaking in an RIA 1911 G.I. in .45 ACP and it seems to be going very well. Only 3 failures in ~350 rounds. All failures to feed. Ball ammo getting stuck on the ramp. Very easily corrected. I am using a stock 16 lb. recoil spring. What springs do you guys figure to be the best. What level of resistance? 20 lb.? I don't know. You guys tell me.

Get Some!

Edited by - 7.62x39Lover on 12/15/2017 10:28:07 PM

Bill DeShivs

USA
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:26:11 PM  Show Profile
The one that's in it.

Bill DeShivs
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17315 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:54:04 PM  Show Profile
hello recoil springs come in many weights ammo is loaded in many different loads and shooters come in many size and strength I have been shooting 1911 in matches 1964-2005 there is a simple test and a bit of suggestion to your question. get a spring assortment to avoid trouble. now you can try a spring and one Brand and type of ammo and run this test load a magazine with more than 2 rounds shoot these rounds and see if the slide locks back after the lase round is shot If the slide stays back than one part of you test passes your ammo has enough power to fully cycle the slide and the spring is light enough However if the slide does not lock after the last round is fired than the spring is too heavy or the ammo is too weak or you the shooter in not gripping the pistol hard enough so bottom line you want the slide to fully cycle but not have the pistol beat itself up because of too

HOT of a Load or too light weight of the spring
so slide not locking back decrease spring go lighter spring or hotter
load remember each type and weight of bullet or amount of power can change results of test. find out what works for you
and stick with that remember the ammo that works for you might have fee problems when someone else shoots the pistol the two of you might grip different

Edited by - perry shooter on 12/15/2017 10:59:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

truthful

247 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  10:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Back when the department carried 1911s, we installed 18 pound springs and polished the feed ramps. Failure to feed was almost nonexistant regardless of brand of gun, ammo, or shooter. Make sure you are not using a recoil buffer as that reduces spring compression as well as stroke.
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4117 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  11:59:21 AM  Show Profile
The Internet Standard 1911 recoil spring is 16 lbs. Colt standard is somewhat less.

If you need a stronger spring to cram hardball into the chamber, there is something out of spec.
"Stuck on the ramp" takes a very rough ramp. A short steep ramp can be pretty smooth and still stop the feed.
It might be at the other end of the round. Misfit extractors are a common problem.
The magazine might be feeding at a funny angle.

RIA is said to have "good customer service." I would inquire with them before doing anything drastic or settling for a bandaid like an overload spring.
Go to Top of Page

forgemonkey
Advanced Member

USA
18536 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  12:41:46 PM  Show Profile
I've had several RIAs on my bench with similar feed problems.

Being the curious fellow I am,,,,,,,,Lets try this for 'grins and giggles',,,,

The below images are from my 'cutout' RIA. The first shows the cutout magazine with the removable baseplate(presuming yours is the same).

Remove the baseplate,,,,,,note that I have inserted a dummy round 'UNDER' the spring,,,,,then the baseplate is replaced. This will give you more upward force on the cartridges/follower. I've found most RIA mag. springs are somewhat weak. So, without first buying a new spring try the following. If one dummy round doesn't do it, try two with five rounds loaded in the mag.

With one dummy cartridge in place load 6 rounds and shoot the pistol to see if the 'feeding problem' goes away.

Remember, the more rounds loaded in the mag. the more gap you will have between the rounds(see below),,,,,,this causes a tendency for the first round or two to nosedive when trying to chamber. Thus, a proper recoil spring will facilitate feeding.

The bullet nose does not contact and then slide up the feed ramp,,,,,,,it hits the feed ramp and glances upward into the top of the chamber opening.

Diagnosis of any problem is a process of elimination,,,,,,,ONE STEP AT A TIME,,,,,,if you change several things at once and the gun 'runs' you have no idea what/where the problem originated,,,,,,if the increased upward force solves the feed problem then you can go to heavier factory spring,,,,,

When you find the correct recoil spring wt. for the load you shoot you will be okay as long as you don't deviate too much with bullet weight, power factor and release point of a magazine.

Please let us know when/how you solved the the feed problem,,,,,,,

Notice the increasing gap between the below cartridges as more are inserted in the magazine,,,,,illustrating the need for correct mag. and recoil spring.

The above mag. follower with the 'skirt' does help to prevent the follower from tipping when the breach face is pushing the last round out of the magazine.

BTW,,,,,you can buy mag. springs, followers, mag. extensions from Tripp Research, Inc

Edited by - forgemonkey on 12/16/2017 1:36:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

john carr

1409 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  2:59:13 PM  Show Profile
When I got my 1911 (made in 1918) I had been given quite an amount of GI ammo and the hammer bite was ferocious. So I reloaded some rounds using the minimum loading recipes in the Lyman manual which stove piped about four out of ten times. So ordered a 14 lb spring from the leading spring seller (mental block on name) and felt hammer bite seemed to diminish and no more stove pipes. Hope this helps if needed.
Go to Top of Page

62fuelie

USA
969 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  9:21:38 PM  Show Profile
When I carried one of several 1911's for duty I installed a Wolff 18.5 lb recoil spring for a little extra force in feeding the Hydra-Shok 230 JHP's we issued. If you go with an extra power recoil spring be sure to install the extra power firing pin return spring as well. This combination worked well in a mid-50's Gold Cup, a Series 70 and a Springfield commercial. The polishing of the feed ramp and the throat of the chamber is very important.

B
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5412 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  4:55:15 PM  Show Profile
I usually get heavier springs and cut them back to fit my load.
Go to Top of Page

7.62x39Lover
Advanced Member

USA
4014 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  04:25:32 AM  Show Profile
I just realized that I only get misfeeds after shooting about 100 rounds anyway. So to me it has become a non issue.

Get Some!
Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8119 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  09:24:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 7.62x39Lover

I just realized that I only get misfeeds after shooting about 100 rounds anyway. So to me it has become a non issue.

That points to the shooter NOT the firearm. It appears to be a classic example of 'limp wristing'.

The physiology of shooting a big bore handgun is amazing. It's all covered in the US Army's AMU pistol manual. Perryshooter gave several away a few years ago. You should try to find one and read it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page