GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380 reliability
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GlockColtandSig
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  1:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I searched but did not find any threads recently regarding the reliability of the Smith and Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380. I am looking for a small caliber semi-automatic for my wife. She has fired my Keltec P3AT and I have never had a problem with either of the two I own or any problems with my Sig P238 but I was just curious about the Bodyguard. Older forums from another site in 2012 suggested some issues with the M&P and I am looking at one with the laser (maybe they all come with lasers?). Any feedback or suggestions of what else to look at? She wants a semi-auto with a laser.

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5557 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  2:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sis has the M&P Shield 9 with a laser. Her daughter carries the one in 380. We were at the range the other day with her daughter and grand daughter. With some difficulty, they could all make it function. Loading the magazine with ammo, they used some sort tool. Racking the action was hard for them, me too as it's small. They all shoot reasonably good groups.

I didn't get to shoot it as no powder round lodged a bullet in the barrel. I bought a 1' 5/16" brass rod off ebay. I cut it in half and put it in her carry case and sent the other on home with the niece. I took the pistol apart for cleaning and lubing. Hard to see the little yellow takedown lever in the magazine zone.

I showed them that the follower could stick in the magazine. I deburred the followers with a light pass of a file. Then I wrapped some sandpaper on the file and deburred the witness holes inside the magazine. Silky smooth now.

I need to get some action proving dummies for training.
Go to Top of Page

Ricci Wright
Advanced Member

USA
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  6:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have sold a bunch and they run well. DO NOT buy the laser equipped gun. I have had several brought to me from our indoor range locked up where the tiny screw holding the laser battery cap on inside the frame has backed out. I would never carry this pistol with the laser and do not stock them. As I recall LAPD allowed the guns for their officers but without the laser.

"Fight like the third monkey on the ramp of Noah's Ark"
Go to Top of Page

diver-rig
Advanced Member

USA
5108 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  11:56:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had and carried one for a couple years, without the laser.

It went bang every time, and after probably 400-500 rounds, never had a fail to feed, or fail to extract.

But I quit using it for ccw, and had Kasey from the forums sell it with a lot of other guns for me.

I wish I knew who got it, I've since found an additional magazine for it I would give them.
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
9787 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  1:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I Know It's not good to mention other sites (Hint); there is an unbeatable offering of the Sig938 on one of them for Half price.
If you reload, your choices are overwhelming.
My suggestion would be to have her try slide-racking at your LGS, and if it's "rackable" & reloadable; get that gun.

A 9mm 124gr isn't very "spanky", but still feeds itself at 960fps.
The 357Sig is fun with round nose lead bullets around 1,100fps, and approximates factory 9mm.

Autos "can" jam at inappropriate moments, adding stress to an already stressful situation.
I've always been a proponent of wheelguns for ladies because they worked for over a hundred years, come in a variety of calibers & capacities (5,6,7 or 8), and there's no recoil spring to overcome.
And it's hard to grab most semi's correctly, according to a recent (10 min. ago) informal poll amongst some gals I've dragged off for a day of Shooting In The Mesa.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33763 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  8:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bersa has some small dependable 380 semi auto...i have the cc model and the thunder..well made and easy on the price
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page