GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Federal Small Pistol Primers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redpete

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  5:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen a Federal small pistol primer (non match and non mag) for sale in quite some time.

Is Federal using them all for production loaded ammo?

Any other ideas on why they are not available?

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17938 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  7:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same thing here. They have been my favorite over the years. One of the local stores, had some in the magnum flavor. I used those, but dropped my loads down by 1/3 of a grain.

Go to Top of Page

spirits

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  7:50:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought 1000s of Federal Gold Match SP and LP primers about 20 years ago when there was a "Primer Panic". I still reload with them - they're stored in their packages inside a sealed ammo can - a life-time supply - hahaha.
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5557 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  7:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere that they are selling loaded ammo because it pays them better than just selling primers. So I would guess they are using them.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

10017 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  08:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
redpete,

Federal has adopted a new financial/manufacturing model which is also gaining traction in other industries as well.

When the shortages first became apparent to the general public, it was the 'Match' primers which were missing from the shelves. But there was a ton of small and large pistol primers which were languishing on those very same shelves. Now we can find and buy those Match primers and other rifle flavors but the pistol primers are either in short supply or not in stock at all. The manufacturers have chosen this route to keep the supply lines tighter and their profit margins higher on components. And yes, they know that they can make more money from loaded ammunition than components but they are beginning to realize that the reloaders carry some clout. So the manufacturers have raised the prices of components to an extreme level in order to maintain their desired levels of profitability. Federal and CCI are great examples of overpriced primers in today's market.

The pendulum will swing back but you have to keep your eyes open and continually check other resources for the primers you need. I noticed that one of my suppliers announced they had just gotten a huge stock of H-4350 powder in 8 lb. jugs which has been absent for several months now. Their entire inventory was sold in less than 24 hours and at a significant increase in the market price. So wait your turn and expect a price increase yet again, especially from Federal.

My suggestion is to switch primers and go about your reloading happily. There is more than one way to beat a manufacturer when they try a move such as this.

Best.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page