GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Over under for sporting clays....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

82trooper

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  6:49:02 PM  Show Profile
So a couple times of year I go to charity sporting clay events...just for fun. I like to shoot, but am not "competitive" by any measure.
I use a Winchester 1200 (that was a gift to me 40 years ago for my 13th birthday!).
I watch with some level of envy, they guys shooting auto-loaders and over/unders, as they do not have to rack the second round.
I also know if I was better....I could hit more with my old pump!
However, I got a bonus and am thinking of treating myself to an new 12 ga. shotgun.
At a glance, I like the looks of the Browning CynergyField (28" bbl) or even the CZ Redhead Premier (30") bbl.
Any thoughts on either of these 2 shotguns? For casual sporting clays shooting?
Thanks for any input.
Mike

duckhunter
Advanced Member

8805 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  7:20:51 PM  Show Profile
Either one would do what you want. Only question would be <which one fits you the best ?

Edited by - duckhunter on 01/05/2018 7:21:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5412 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  8:24:51 PM  Show Profile
http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/cynergy/current-production/cynergy-field.html

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-redhead-premier-target-12-gauge-30-barrels/

I think it's just as easy to miss with a 5,000 dollar shotgun. Last time I shot sporting clays I got more birds with a factory plain jane 870 Express than the high $ boys got. They got there in better cars, dressed nicer and shot awesome looking guns poorly.

A new gun might help but I think you would be way better off shooting more. You can buy lots of birds/ammo to use in a cheap thrower for grand.

Go to Top of Page

coop359

66 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  10:21:10 PM  Show Profile
the browning looks great I shoot an older special sporting clays edition with 28 inch bbls works good for skeet also . its smoother not running the pump, I started out with a 870
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9979 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  08:27:29 AM  Show Profile
82trooper,

quote:
So a couple times of year I go to charity sporting clay events...just for fun. I like to shoot, but am not "competitive" by any measure.
I use a Winchester 1200 (that was a gift to me 40 years ago for my 13th birthday!).
I watch with some level of envy, they guys shooting auto-loaders and over/unders, as they do not have to rack the second round.
I also know if I was better....I could hit more with my old pump!

I think many of us started out shooting clay games with one of the generic brands of pump action shotguns. We either had one or could at least afford to buy one at the time.

The difference comes into play when you take those of us who shoot infrequently and then saddle us with a pump action. It's slow, it changes your sight picture and is generally cumbersome when compared to either an autoloader or a superposed. Swinging to follow a target and racking a pump is simply something which requires lots of practice to achieve the smoothness necessary to break targets consistently. I've seen those guys who are as fast as an autoloader but they shoot 10 or more rounds a week to stay in practice.

The Browning is not necessarily a 'target' shotgun although it could be that it would work in your situation. The CZ is a target shotgun and should be a good choice for the clay fields. The best shotgun though is the one that fits you and you can swing smoothly while staying with the targets. Hold, fondle, shoulder, swing any shotgun to see if feels just right. The longer barrels are better for your swing than the shorter barrels. I use 28" and 30" barrels on my clay shotguns.

Enjoy!

Best.

Go to Top of Page

82trooper

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  09:11:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks or the food for thought.....especially the no nonsense advice to "Hold, fondle, shoulder, swing any shotgun to see if feels just right."
Sounds like a good excuse to make a couple trips to the shop and test handle a few.
Thanks again.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
5779 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  12:46:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 82trooper

Thanks or the food for thought.....especially the no nonsense advice to "Hold, fondle, shoulder, swing any shotgun to see if feels just right."
Sounds like a good excuse to make a couple trips to the shop and test handle a few.
Thanks again.
Mike

Go out to your local range and see what the people like. There will be people out there who are above and below your skill level. See what they're shooting and see what they do and don't like about their guns. I shoot quite a bit, and would be more than happy to let almost anyone who wants to try my guns out to see what they think of them. At your LGS you will get a sales POV, at the range it will be where the rubber meets the road. As for the question about the guns though, it's hard to beat a Browning product. If you don't like it, there will always be a demand for their products.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

11601 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Browning yes, I have a Winchester Sporting and it is the cats meow. I just don't use it much. So if you find one of those, check it out.
Go to Top of Page

rsnyder55
Advanced Member

2829 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  5:14:07 PM  Show Profile
I shot Browning Citori skeet and trap grade O/U shotguns for years and they served me well. Now that I no longer shoot trap and skeet that often, I use a Winchester 101 Lightweight.

One advantage I've found with an O/U is if it accommodates interchangeable chokes, it can be an advantage. Especially in conditions where one clay is shot close and the other further out.

NRA Endowment Member
Go to Top of Page

asphalt cowboy
Advanced Member

7259 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  6:21:13 PM  Show Profile
JMO but, I'd call the ranges within reasonable driving distance to see if they have rentals and then shoot a few before plunking down money on a gun that may not fit properly.

I am Dyslexic of Borge.
Resistance is futile.
Your ass will be laminated.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page