GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 929 Ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rsnyder55
Advanced Member

2829 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  4:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know what ammo anyone else shooting this S&W 9mm revolver is using.

Aluminum cased is definitely a not because the crimp isn't strong enough to hold the bullets in cases. By the 6th round, the remaining rounds are definitely longer and a couple have fallen our of the cases entirely.

Thank you.

EDIT: I called Federal thinking I had a bad batch and evidently they have received many calls about this. I think maybe the aluminum doesn't grip the bullet as well as brass does.

NRA Endowment Member

Edited by - rsnyder55 on 01/06/2018 5:17:15 PM

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5412 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  5:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read about lots of accuracy issues with them but you are the first with bullet pull problem.

When the 30 carbine Black Hawk came out, it shot factory military ammo just fine (sealed in bullets). Reloads were a PIA as there wasn't a crimp die made back then. IIRC we faced off a seating die a little.

If you want to keep shooting the cheap aluminium case ammo, you could get a Lee hand press and a taper crimp die and process the ammo first.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2014/09/gun-review-smith-wesson-pc-model-929/
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17797 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  6:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been having similar problems. Loading for a Limely, S & W, Victory Model, chambered for 38 S & W. Using cut down, 38 Special brass.

The best/tightest crimp, was with a Lee 9mm, Factory Crimp die. As the case length of 9mm and 38 S & W are similar. All dies made for 9mm, work fine, for my 38 S & W.

.357 bullets, are plenty accurate in my Smith. If your loading for a barrel with the old .361 groove diameter. 9mm dies, might not work for you?

Go to Top of Page

rsnyder55
Advanced Member

2829 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2018 :  7:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fortunately, I reload 9mm so I have the die already and I have a Lee Handloader. I guess I will just run all the ammunition I plan on shooting in my revolver through this die before using it.

NRA Endowment Member
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17797 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  12:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rsnyder55

Fortunately, I reload 9mm so I have the die already and I have a Lee Handloader. I guess I will just run all the ammunition I plan on shooting in my revolver through this die before using it.

Pull one of the 9 mm bullets. And measure it's diameter with a dial caliper. Some of the various ones I've measured, have been undersized. By as much as a couple of thousand. Specially the military ones.

If the ones your trying to shoot, in your revolver. Are undersized? Might be the root cause of of your problem(s)?

Long as you have 9 mm reloading dies. Might have a go, with.357 diameter bullets. Cinched down, with the Lee factory crimp die.

Go to Top of Page

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
13383 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  12:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 929 shoots well with 115 gr and 124 gr FMJ factory Win and Federal ammo.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page