GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 MIM parts in Taurus PT92
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

7.62x39Lover
Advanced Member

USA
4036 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  12:37:41 AM  Show Profile
I am looking at getting a PT92 pistol. Do you guys know if there are any plastic and or MIM parts in this pistol? I am inclined to think that the hammer is MIM for some reason. What do you guys generally think of this pistol?

Get Some!

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17938 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  01:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Owned one of the Taurus Judges, when they first came out. Unhappy with it, both function and reliability wise.

It's a buyers market for handguns nowadays. You can do a lot better, than buying any kind of Taurus, IMHO. Rather that buying the Taurus, which is just a knock-off Beretta. Get the real McCoy. I've noticed a bunch of ex Leos Beretta's, on the market recently.

Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

15951 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  03:39:36 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if it'll be cheaper to swap out all the Taurus bits with non MIM than to buy a Beretta?

What I think about Taurus? Great warranty .
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5557 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  05:07:55 AM  Show Profile
I vote No if you are betting your life. I like Brazil nuts but Rossi and Taurus not so much. The only 9mm I would consider owning is a real HiPower.
Go to Top of Page

M1A762
Advanced Member

Niger
3215 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  10:04:06 AM  Show Profile
If you like the 92 then sell the pretend tor-ass and get a real Beretta.

Better yet sell the tor-ass and do like Charlie says. Get a Browning Hi-Power if 9mm is your caliber.
Go to Top of Page

brier-49
Advanced Member

USA
5564 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  11:01:05 AM  Show Profile
Darn, this is like buying an Opal instead of the Mercedes & woorying if the steering wheel is cheap.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13628 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  11:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to disagree in tone with some of the above posters.

Taurus did put out a lot of junk, especially wheelguns. IMO Taurus judge is an embarrassment, that I really can't say enough BAD things about.

But PT92 is just a different story. This gun isn't just a "clone" of the Beretta 92, the original Taurus 92s were built on actual Beretta tooling left behind in Brasil in the early 80s after Beretta left its factory there.

Taurus has been making its variants of these for nearly 40 years now. Its a tried and true platform, and its built on a forged Al-alloy frame. I've shot one. . .nothing wrong with it at all. I'm not personally a big fan of the 92 platform in general, but if you like that platform, there is nothing wrong with this. I'd pick one up if the price were right.

As far as I know, the gun has no plastic, though the grips are now rubber. (Once upon a time they were beautiful Brasilian rosewood. . .though that hasn't been in maybe 20 years).

I don't know for sure whether the Taurus 92 has MIM parts, but for sure Taurus does make guns with MIM and I would assume the current production models of this *DO*. Still, I wouldn't really "sweat" that. Most of the major gun makers are using MIM parts, including Smith, Ruger, etc, and they hold up fine.
Go to Top of Page

7.62x39Lover
Advanced Member

USA
4036 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  12:00:58 PM  Show Profile
What kind of ammo runs through this platform well? I generally use 115 gr. FMJ for 9mm. Do the M9 style pistols like a heavier grain? Or do they eat anything and everything?

Get Some!
Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13628 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  12:47:24 PM  Show Profile
All the current military pistols are designed for NATO ammo, which is 124 grain.

But I know these run 115 grain ammo fine. In fact, I've never encountered any service-sized pistol that didn't run normal 115 grain ammo perfectly. Supposedly these run 147 grain ammo fine, too, though I've never tried it and personally generally don't buy that weight ammo.

You didn't ask, but these are rated for 9mm+P, so you can use that if you like.

Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4150 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  12:58:37 PM  Show Profile
I doubt it matters, I have not seen anybody to offer replacement parts for Taurus.

A guy here shoots a PT so as to not have to actually use his several high end guns. It does pretty well.
Go to Top of Page

7.62x39Lover
Advanced Member

USA
4036 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  3:14:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by yoshmyster

I wonder if it'll be cheaper to swap out all the Taurus bits with non MIM than to buy a Beretta?

What I think about Taurus? Great warranty .

The Yankee Marshall did a video of him swapping out quite a few plastic parts from a Beretta.

Get Some!
Go to Top of Page

brier-49
Advanced Member

USA
5564 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  3:58:10 PM  Show Profile
I have an old 92 Berretta that has no plastic.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page