GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Arizona
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11978 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  5:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my sons was married in Arizona right after Christmas. I had previously not had the opportunity to visit that state. I didn't get to see much of it but enjoyed what I did see.

The wedding was in Queen Creek, which is just east of Mesa. Weather there was dry, clear, with lows in the 40's and highs in the low to mid 70's. That was nice as it was cold back here.

I scheduled a couple of extra days after the wedding to drive up and see the Grand Canyon with my 11 year old son. I watched the sun set on the canyon and was up early the next morning to see the sun rise over it, quite amazing (it was 20 degrees that morning). Seen 3 bunches of elk while there, a new sight for my son. Of course there is a lot of canyon we didn't see but we enjoyed our brief time.

Driving through the cactus country was good as well, it was new to us. I really liked the ponderosa pine forest south of Flagstaff. I think I could spend some time there and really enjoy it, I've been thinking of it since getting back home. Definitely an area I want to visit again.

I can see myself spending some winter time in the state during retirement. There is a lot of public ground of different types to bird hunt and hike. I would love to horseback through those pines. I need to get to the western part of the state and visit one of my sisters who lives in Fort Mohave, hopefully next winter.

I've been in some of the North West, it's awesome. While I've been in northern Colorado this was my first trip to the south west, it's awesome too.

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
11043 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  7:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lived in Chandler and Mesa a few years. I like NC better. Not a big fan of rocks. lol

However up north in Arizona is really nice.

Glad you had a good time.
Go to Top of Page

Mercury
Advanced Member

7670 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  7:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arizona is a horrible place to live! Way too hot, too many illegals, and rattlesnakes EVERYWHERE!

Please don't move here! It is horrible! Pass the word!

Merc (from the horrible city of Tucson!)

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11978 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  8:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mercury

Arizona is a horrible place to live! Way too hot, too many illegals, and rattlesnakes EVERYWHERE!

I'll have to get down to Tucson, just to see such a bad place. Hope you got cold beer,
Go to Top of Page

Mercury
Advanced Member

7670 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  12:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, no cold beer here! We don't even have electricity! Make sure to tell everyone not to move here!

Merc

quote:
Originally posted by SCOUT5

quote:
Originally posted by Mercury

I'll have to get down to Tucson, just to see such a bad place. Hope you got cold beer,

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Go to Top of Page

Aztngundoc22

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  02:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK :

I always liked Az. ! lived out there for 4 years :

Bought some property there a few years back ???

Thanks !!!

The More People I Meet : The More I like My Dog !!!
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
3931 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  03:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there just once. Got off the plane in Tucson in mid August a few years ago. Leaving the cool airport to the rented car, I thought I had just stepped foot into Hell!

Had to spend a week there and did do a bit of driving around. The outdoor temps were brutal at nearly 116 degrees every day. The landscape seemed dismal with little green mostly the color of reddish clay.

If not for air conditioning, a person would either have to be acclimated slowly or die in such a place!
Go to Top of Page

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
15334 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  03:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldest son has been theu a few times likes it and besides

Well, I'm a standing on a corner
in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed
Ford slowin' down to take a look at me

he has a photograph of the place a tourist stop
Go to Top of Page

mnrivrat48

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  04:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a brother in northern AZ and my oldest brother used to live in Prescott (RIP Bob). I spent some time out there for a few winter months and was going to move out there until my health took a serious dive.

Not a bad place to visit or live depending on your style of living. I particularly liked being called "honey" by the female store check out ladies, and didn't mind open carry in an area that you didn't get a second glance for doing so.

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORD ORDER - RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - YOU WILL ASSIMILATE
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

12051 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  05:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a few Snowbirds from Idaho spend their winters near Quartsite.

They can ride the ATVs all year round that way. They are working on the Centennial Trail system (about 750 miles of connected trails).

Your mileage may vary.
“Every time a system is made foolproof - a new class of fool emerges.”
Prod Harris

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."

"Profanity is the linguistics of the inarticulate."

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

In a follow-up story, local police are considering charging Mr. Lapointe with felony stupid. The usual additional charge of Ignorant in a Smart Zone will not be applied, due to the rural location of the incident, according to a police spokesman.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and Always win." Clint Smith

I come from a State that raises corn and cotton and cock-leburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me.
- Willard D. Vandiver

The burden of proof lies on the plaintiff.
- Legal maxim
"The trouble with Communism is that eventually you run out of other people's money?"
Margaret Thatcher 1976

To what level of stupidity do you want to address?

"This democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
~Ayn Rand, from her book Atlas Shrugged
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
36760 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  06:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spent a vacation as a kid in Arizona. It was quite nice, though I suspect it was during the spring break so not likely that hot yet. We stayed at Rancho De Los Caballeros. That was the first time I ever shot a gun and rode a horse. They took us trap shooting. I guess I was probably 10 years old them.
Go to Top of Page

Hunter Mag
Advanced Member

USA
7009 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  06:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arizona is nice visually I was there in '67 camping when I was very young, but what about New Mexico? You don't hear much about that and it's all desert also. Carlsbad caverns are awesome. A must see. I was there in '67 also and again in 2015 when I visited my son at Fort Bliss in El Paso.

Remember this quote... "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
45257 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live next door, and visit AZ not infrequently. Even went shooting one afternoon with Mercury, who told me how bad, hot, primitive it is and to be sure and not move there. He has been trying to get out for 35 years with no success. My favorite part of AZ is the SE. I am especially fond of the Chiricahua Mountains and often stay there for birding or javelina hunting across the line in NM.

That said I should mention I like rattlesnakes, grow cactus, and come with my own water bottle and batteries.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
45257 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Mag

Arizona is nice visually I was there in '67 camping when I was very young, but what about New Mexico? You don't hear much about that and it's all desert also. Carlsbad caverns are awesome. A must see. I was there in '67 also and again in 2015 when I visited my son at Fort Bliss in El Paso.

If you get this way again, I will buy the tacos.

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
45257 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Had to spend a week there and did do a bit of driving around. The outdoor temps were brutal at nearly 116 degrees every day.

But it's a dry heat...

True story: I was doing field work south of Tucson one summer when temps were over 100F. Starting home we stopped in Tucson to gas up. Radio and Bank thermometer said 113. I gassed up and went into the station for a soda, and the guy said, "hot enough for you?" I said well it was warm, but I was kind of used to it. He said, "It's not so much the heat as the damn humidity, it's up to 20% today." I said, where I live 90 degrees and 90% is common."

He said, "Only a damn fish could live in a place like that."

Go to Top of Page

Smitty500mag
Advanced Member

USA
9921 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  11:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never understood the fascination with the Grand Canyon? It's the worst case of erosion I've ever seen and if it were here in the south we'd be trying to come up with a way to fill it in.

Go to Top of Page

Aztngundoc22

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  11:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK :

and : When I lived out there : those people had a 'melt-down' if the humidity
got over 10% ???

I also grew up in 90 degree 90 % humm. weather !!!

But : I still like it there : and property @ Sun Valley Area where I bought property is still reasonable ! ( Near Winslow , just off I40 ) !!!

Thanks !!!

Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33750 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  1:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep ..i know that humidity thing ...lot less at home and when we get to the lake place in eastern kansas it is a lot higher....big difference
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11978 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  7:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smitty500mag

I never understood the fascination with the Grand Canyon? It's the worst case of erosion I've ever seen and if it were here in the south we'd be trying to come up with a way to fill it in.

Find you a rock, sit there and watch the sun come up and shine it's light on the canyon. While you're doing that think of all the millions of years it took the river to carve out that canyon. Think about just how brief of time you and even mankind have actually been here on earth with our petty worries.

Do that, then get back with us.

Go to Top of Page

Hunter Mag
Advanced Member

USA
7009 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  8:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Hunter Mag

If you get this way again, I will buy the tacos.

OK you have a deal!! I'd love to visit there again.

Remember this quote... "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
45257 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  8:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, you could get a lot of junk yards and old tire piles in there.

Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11978 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  8:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I wonder how many feet you would have to take off the top of Georgia to fill the Grand Canyon.

Edited by - SCOUT5 on 01/12/2018 8:28:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Oakie
Advanced Member

26025 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  08:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother in law , goes out there a few times a year. He loves it out there. Showed us a lot of pictures. That state looks beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
45257 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  09:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SCOUT5

quote:

quote:

I wonder how many feet you would have to take off the top of Georgia to fill the Grand Canyon.

Not enough?

Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17415 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  10:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
while working for IBM years ago I needed to get trained on a rather rare piece of equipment that was put together in TUCSON this was a 2 week training so I could pick when I was going I picked APRIL it ran 3 shifts a day so I picked second shift. there were lots of things to do
somethings that sticks to me today ARE
#1 if you don't water the only color is Brown
#2 mount Lemon is only a hour or so away and you will go from 80 degrees in Tucson to snow on the ground at ski slope at mount LEMON
#3 huge many many acres of airplane scrap/storage both civilian & Military
#4 great aircraft museum again both military as well as civilian

# 5 In Va. I have never figured how some one could get lost you just walk a few miles until you cross running water go down stream until you get to paved road but on the trip to Mount Lemon there is one place you can see a dirt road in one straight line for 75 or more miles if you were on that road everything looks the same in every direction
^ an Aiary about one acre in size with an air lock type door
birds would land on your arm, and animal enclosure with wild animals

#7 place called PINNACLE PEAK this was restaurant that was set up as a small town had country store /Gun Shop store for westernware and one for Cowboy boots and another for coyboy hats price on both boots and hats could go for over $1,000
the restaurant itself only served steak
and only in 4 different size you took a number and they called your number they had about 5or 6 dinning rooms and if you got there and were about one hundred behind the number they just called you would have less than a 10 minute wait I fell in love with the place ate there every other night

#8 biggest let down was the reason I picked the dates to go was
I had for years seen ads for Tuson Gun show and pick that time to go
WORST GUN SHOW I have ever been to many many tables but nothing I would buy and very little I would have taken if it was given to me

Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
30802 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  10:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Used to have to travel to Arizona for business....Phoenix, Tucson and Yuma.

It was HOT in the winter months and HORRIBLY HOT the rest of the year.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

Aztngundoc22

USA
962 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  11:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK :

Yes indeed : I really like & almost miss Tucson : and PINNACLE PEAK is a great place !!! Ate there once a week for three years !!!

Thanks !!!

Go to Top of Page

Irish 8802
Get off my Lawn

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  1:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lived in Tucson for 5 years."THE X" still resides there in a Belfry. If anyone spots her,do not look at her eyes. You will be turned to stone.BTDT!
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
45257 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  1:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perry Shooter, the aviary you mentioned was probably at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.

Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
15725 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  2:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure to pick up some salsa Rojas de chiltepin. Wife’s cousin sends it to me from Tucson. Mmmm!
Go to Top of Page

allen griggs
Advanced Member

USA
31864 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  2:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My aunt and uncle used to live in Prescott. My brother and I went out there to visit them in August on our BMW motorcycles.
Middle of a heat wave even for Prescott, high of 117.

Hot, but low humidity I must say.
Very pretty state quite different from what I am used to in the southeast.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page