GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Any Desert Eagle .440 Corbon owners out there???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  2:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and if so, do you have any problems with it??? I recently purchased one of my "wish list" guns, a Desert Eagle .440 Corbon and I was having some problems with it, so I sent it back to Magnum Research. The gunsmith there informed me that there was nothing they could do to fix the weapon and replaced the barrel with a .50AE. The gunsmith informed me that "for some unknown reason" some of the .440 barrels worked fine, while others were "lemons" and no one really knew why. Their guess is that b/c they used the .44 barrels for the .440's, the gas tube may not be large enough to handle the pressures generated by the .440. This still does not explain why some of them work fine and others do not. I was somewhat dissapointed to learn that I'd no longer have my .440. The .50 AE, while an awesome caliber, just does not stand up next to the .440. Anyway, the reason that I am asking is that the guy I purchased this pistol from was kind enough to purchase me a .44 10" barrel and I was planning on having it rechambered to the .440 Corbon. The gunsmith at Magnum Research has just recently advised me against this. He said that he knows of some guys that have done this and had great results...and others that have wasted a barrel. Does anyone here have any experience with rechambering the .44 to the .440? I'd really like to have this done, if anyone else has had any success with it, as the .440 Corbon is just one of those calibers that I have always wanted...well, at least since it was introduced anyway. I'd appreciate any helpful advice I can get on this. Thanks.

Eric

JustC

14964 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  10:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would see if you could keep sending the barrel back to MR until you got a good one. Some time invested,...but hey,.you get what you want. Keep in mind however that if you have future problems,..it starts all over again.

I have read the balistics tables,..and while I will agree your 440 corbon is badder on paper than my 50AE,...I doubt you can prove it on game. They will flip over in mid air,...with either bullet

The 50AE is easier to reload,..cheaper due to no neck,...and has no problmes. Now if you want a project,...have your gunsmith ream the 50AE barrel out to 500S&W,..then you walk the dog on the 440

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
Got Balistics?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  8:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you are right about that! The .440 barrel has been destroyed and I now have a .50...so I'm not going to bash the .50. I just have a thing for that .440, that's all. Let me ask you something. When I got the .50 back, it was still ejecting the brass back into my face and head. Does yours do this? I actually got a burn on my neck and a round circle on the side of my face from the brass beaming me in the face and kneck...not to mention quite a few marks and knicks. This thing has got me almost afraid to shoot it...which is not a good thing. The other thing that it's doing is gouging the brass about 1/4" up from the rim of the case...and dinging the mouth of the case. Both of these things have me somewhat concerned b/c I plan to reload them. I just sent it back in to Magnum Research for some more troubleshooting. Thanks for the feedback!

Eric

Eric
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14964 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  9:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that ejection thing,....and don't take this wrong as I may be way off,...sounds like a limp wrist situation. That pistol is gas operated and has a very heavy slide,...you have to grip it tightly and hold your wrists firm to get it to eject properly.

The case heads will be bruised,..as this is a symptom of the rolling bolt face,....which also does it to my cases. I don't think that will go away with anything.

See what MR says about the ejection,....because like I said,..I could be off on my assesment. Just give it a try while holding it stiff wristed. I put the 10" barrel on mine and had it magnaported 3 times on each side,...and it is a doll baby to shoot. very manageable and very mild in recoil. Give them a try if you want to calm it down a bit.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
Got Balistics?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

36304 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  06:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I considered that myself, so I had 3 other people shoot it with the same results. I actually paid specific attention to my form just to make sure it wasn't something that I was doing. I'm a pretty big guy too, so I really do not think that is the problem. It almost looks to me like the ejector is in the wrong place on the bolt. I think there would be less problems if it were a little more to the right side. I may try the porting too, when I get it back from magnum research. Thanks for the input.

Eric
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page