GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 What is best material for Kitchen cutting board?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
25614 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  02:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plastic, bamboo, other wood, etc.

Ditch-Runner
Advanced Member

USA
14642 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  03:05:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all you listed are out there
we have hard plastic / nylon maybe , ones about 3/8" to 1/2" thick from 12" to about 20" square also I think wood one floating around . and what I would call throw away plastic ones ( we have about 4 or 5 of them ) they look like just heavy plastic sheet that are cut resistant ( trust me I have seen my wife slice thru them ) pushing way to hard on the box knife she was using not what they were made for but I learned never try and tell my wife how to do anything
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
3335 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  03:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, IMO it really depends upon what you are going to be cutting.

For meat, I use a plastic c\board.
For veggies, hardwood

I have a few different kinds of plastic boards. The cheap thin ones are fine as after they start getting riddled up with blade grooves, I toss em.
Go to Top of Page

westernMDhunter
Advanced Member

Iceland
3236 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  03:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HDPE. Buy a 48"x48" sheet and cut your boards to whichever size you like or order the size you want.

Go to Top of Page

asphalt cowboy
Advanced Member

7259 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  03:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westernMDhunter

HDPE. Buy a 48"x48" sheet and cut your boards to whichever size you like or order the size you want.

+1
https://www.amazon.com/Polyethylene-Off-White-Tolerance-D4976-245-Thickness/dp/B00CPRDN3W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515745509&sr=8-3&keywords=hdpe+sheet

I am Dyslexic of Borge.
Resistance is futile.
Your ass will be laminated.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29849 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  07:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

We use a hardwood maple butcher block and works great plus doesn't dull a knife edge like some materials will.

Here is a great article on wood/plastic/bamboo:
http://kitchenknifeguru.com/cutting-boards/cutting-boards-wood-and-plastic/

Commercial kitchens ONLY use plastic cutting boards:
https://www.thespruce.com/cutting-boards-and-food-safety-995484

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7194 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  07:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer an end grain heat treated bamboo laminate...

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

mogley98
Advanced Member

USA
13619 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  08:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess all the news regarding germs left on cutting boards has made wooden ones no longer acceptable.

Funny thing is they were used for umpteen years before we knew they were so dangerous :)

Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15672 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  08:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cutting meat or seafood- PLASTIC. It does not absorb blood or fluids, AND it can be washed to sterilize it (which is why restaurants use them) Run it thru the dishwasher.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

tneff1969
Advanced Member

USA
5213 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  08:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a customer that does custom counter tops, he brought me 4 marble cut outs from where they make the holes for sinks. Have 2 round, and 2 square with rounded corners. They throw the cut outs away, didn't cost me anything.
Go to Top of Page

john carr

1409 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used a 24" section of a 2"X12" pine board for the last 27 years, just wash it with the other accouterments. Never a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

26014 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  08:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesRK

Plastic, bamboo, other wood, etc.

Use what you want, when it can no longer be reliably sanitized, toss it or re-surface.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7194 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  09:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The food industry now uses color coded plastic boards for everything

One for poultry and one for pork and one for seafood and one for beef and one for veggies and one for fruit and so on...

Primus gfs and sqf and aib rules and audit schemes mandate it

They also get a limited shelf life before replacement under the guidelines

And atp testing is almost ubiquitous and omnipresent now on a daily basis

Your dishwashers have heat sensors and get data logged to ensure proper water temp and cycle time

You can't use the same broom or mop or squeegee inside and outside

They to are now color coded and task specific

You cannot have wood anything now except for the pallet exemption and that will end eventually and they will all be plastic

No wood no handles or knife handles etc...

It's all codified and rigidly complied too and under a testing and monitoring and inspection regimen

Look at my profile for more related acronym agencies and rules

But personally I like the heat treated end grain pressure treated bamboo as it is damn near indestructible and impermeable and sustainable and eco friendly and attractive

I have a bunch of the color coded plastic ones but I prefer the bamboo and I almost never cook chicken or seafood so I think it's all good

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

11990 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  09:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like wooden cutting boards.

Keep them clean and they are fine.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11711 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plastic disinfects better as the meat juices and the sugars from fruit and vegetables do not soak in. I also think it's easier on your knife edges.

The wood ones are better looking and if thick enough are more stable.

I have plastic one large on and one small one. For small amounts of whatever I use the small one just because it's easier to wash.
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24268 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wood is the best from a health standpoint, plastic the worst.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

15337 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  9:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While shopping at Target I saw me some Olive Wood cutting boards. I like the streaks and I'm looking forward in to getting some slabs off the stump I got saved.
Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
5191 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  9:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like plastic for meats and items that would stain hardwood / bamboo.

Throw them away after a while,, but could last years. Get a little "funky" looking, let them sit in the sink covered with bleach (top only) and viola,,(in a few hours) like new, almost.

Set of 3 for $6.00 ($2.00 each). They have some cheaper, think $1.28 with cutout for handle and "raised edges".

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Norpro-Icon-Cut-N-Slice-Flexible-Cutting-Boards-Mats-Kitchen-11-5x15-Set-Of-3/174167049

Have Plastic, bamboo and hardwood "butcher block" overseas. Keep 4 in the kitchen, again, depends on what you're cutting and what effect it might have on the board.

Personally don't cut "stuff" overseas, that's womans work but I approve of this message.
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24981 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Starboard"...you can buy it at a marine store, I have a 1/2 sheet under my house(basement)I bought a 4x8 sheet when I replaced some boards on one of my boats...if you were here, I would give it to you..
Go to Top of Page

pwillie
Advanced Member

USA
24981 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrmike08075

The food industry now uses color coded plastic boards for everything

One for poultry and one for pork and one for seafood and one for beef and one for veggies and one for fruit and so on...

Primus gfs and sqf and aib rules and audit schemes mandate it

They also get a limited shelf life before replacement under the guidelines

And atp testing is almost ubiquitous and omnipresent now on a daily basis

Your dishwashers have heat sensors and get data logged to ensure proper water temp and cycle time

You can't use the same broom or mop or squeegee inside and outside

They to are now color coded and task specific

You cannot have wood anything now except for the pallet exemption and that will end eventually and they will all be plastic

No wood no handles or knife handles etc...

It's all codified and rigidly complied too and under a testing and monitoring and inspection regimen

Look at my profile for more related acronym agencies and rules

But personally I like the heat treated end grain pressure treated bamboo as it is damn near indestructible and impermeable and sustainable and eco friendly and attractive

I have a bunch of the color coded plastic ones but I prefer the bamboo and I almost never cook chicken or seafood so I think it's all good

Mike

WE comply with the above standards..USDC GRADE A....
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24268 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wood is the best, plastic is the worst.
This research has been repeated and duplicated by several groups and can be found on the web.

https://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/cutting-boards-and-bacteria

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
15140 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  11:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandma used a homemade wooden one. She and all of her 11 kids lived a long and healthy life.
Go to Top of Page

mag00
Advanced Member

2508 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  12:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by p3skyking

This research has been repeated and duplicated by several groups and can be found on the web.

This is not the first time I have heard this either.

I use a fresh paper plate and that saves the blade and makes cleanup a breeze.

If anything can go right, it will go right and at the best possible time.
Go to Top of Page

Oakie
Advanced Member

25789 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  07:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brookwood

For veggies, hardwood

I have a few different kinds of plastic boards. The cheap thin ones are fine as after they start getting riddled up with blade grooves, I toss em.

Agree with this 100%
Go to Top of Page

armilite
Advanced Member

Mozambique
40099 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got one of them built in kitchen cabinet boards that was probably been in the house since it was built. The two cnter pieces of wood slide back and forth from opening & closing as there is a half inch gap between the front and back. I need to get a new piece of wood or fix the gap problem. If I don't adjust the gap before cutting the knife sometimes ends up in the gap, not good.

Kill the Head and the Body Will Follow.
New Orleans Saints Defensive Coordinator

They made penicillin from moldy bread so there is hope for you.

There is no situation that you can not get yourself out of with the proper amount of explosives.

G19

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=190228">My Stuff for Sale at GunBroker.com

Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
5191 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  1:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oakie

quote:
Originally posted by Brookwood

For veggies, hardwood

Agree with this 100%

The primary purpose of a cutting board is not NOT harm counters tops or dull your nice sharp kitchen knife.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
29849 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by p3skyking

Near 3/4 a century ago, feeding 8 at home plus guests, my Mother used wood cutting boards .. we butchered several turkeys, deer, pheasants and about 100 chickens a year and a cow.

No one got sick from food preparation or slicing after cooking.

I've always used a wood cutting board & no one got sick.

IMO, plastic will dull a knife far quicker than wood....besides I like a wood cutting board.

Use whatever you are comfortable with and so will I.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968

Edited by - us55840 on 01/14/2018 1:45:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
9299 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  2:43:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the top of the washing machine.
It's right there.
Next to the sink.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

woodshed87
Advanced Member

USA
15617 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  5:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maple And Have used it for 25 Years never Got Sick from It Yet
Wash it when Done ......................

"I will cling to the Old Rugged Cross, and exchange it some day for a Crown"

"OL' WOODSHED'S TURKEY CALLS"
Available Here At GunBroker.Com

If there Is Not One Up on the Auction Site Please Ask For Me "Woody"
And I Will see that One Or More Are put Up Special For You!!

Woodsheds Turkey Calls
549 Pitcher Hill Road
Pitcher,New York

For Demo See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFD6CWcDEI&feature=player_profilepage

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control,mud slides, flooding,
severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another,
and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks,
are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the
Pledge of Allegiance?"
Jay Leno

Go to Top of Page

asop
Advanced Member

4842 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using a full 2" thick piece of maple 18" X 24" for years. Guy gave me this as a scrap from his mill work shop. I routed a perimeter blood trough and other than the weight no problems
Go to Top of Page

truthful

247 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read somewhere awhile ago that tests have shown wood cutting boards to have lower bacteria counts than plastic. I have used a laminated maple butcher block for cutting everything, same one for at least 30 years. I just keep it clean it and salt it after cutting meat.
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
5669 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  7:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something you and your family is not allergic to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
14542 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  7:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the flexible plastic ones, that way when you finish shopping with your chopping you can pick it up fold it in half and dump it in a smaller area in your pots or on your plates

I stay away from the wood or bamboo ones
Go to Top of Page

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
25614 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  8:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for ALL the replies. I've finally decided what to do. Of all the decisions I knew I had to make I never thought getting a cutting board would be one of the hard ones.

When I was in high school I must have made dozens of butcher blocks. Mister Cates said never make a butcher block out of oak or pine and a few others I don't remember. The reason for pine is obvious, but I wonder why he didn't like oak and the others. Maybe the grain isn't tight enough.

My wife never used a cutting board. She always used a large platter, which is what I've been using. It works well but is inconvenient and then some. You might say a pain in the butt.

I was leaning toward bamboo, but it looks like bamboo requires a lot of maintenance even when you aren't using it, and they tend to splinter and split.

Anyway, I found an 18 x 12 x 1 plastic board on amazon that looks like it will work for me.

Thanks again for all the input.

Go to Top of Page

kimi
Advanced Member

USA
44081 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  9:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use mostly wood (3 diff sizes), and one hard plastic:

What's next

A couple of favorite quotes:

"What goes around comes around."

“Abe, climb down from Mt. Rushmore, and vacate the penny. Your days in the pantheon are over, thanks to the scholarship and courage of Thomas J. DiLorenzo.” — Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.

Edited by - kimi on 01/14/2018 9:35:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

CaptFun
Administrator

USA
16651 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2018 :  9:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer color coded HDPE. Easy to sanitize and easy for anyone else helping in the kitchen know which board is for what.

That said I have a few bamboo boards I like for fine knife work plant matter only... And I have one really cool board made from a slice of acacia . It is for presentation only no cutting... Wood is too pretty.

GunBroker.com Admin

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44762 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  09:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you double down Kimi.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page