GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Pex ????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
46925 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  11:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red and blue 'pex' with 'sharkbite' fittings.
Thumbs up or down????

GunBroker.com Moderator
The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

trc313
Advanced Member

Israel
2752 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  12:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 thumbs up...
Go to Top of Page

4205raymond

772 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  01:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you know how to solder good, copper is there forever and it will never leak. Of course wells can be hell on copper pipe.

I don't think anyone uses Quest any more. Too many problems.

Pex is good and some here say it won't split if frozen solid, but what happens to crimping rings. Will they expand and leak if frozen solid? You need that crimping tool and it better be adjusted right. Same thing if you make a repair, need that tool.

In the well house I like the old plastic black pipe. Hairdryer, stainless radiator clamps and good to go.To make a repair, utility knife or hairdryer.

As far as sharkbite fittings anyone know how long that internal O ring will last? You need that little tool to release them and sometimes they can be a pain.

Edited by - 4205raymond on 01/13/2018 01:33:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bosketti

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  07:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 4205raymond

If you know how to solder good, copper is there forever and it will never leak. Of course wells can be hell on copper pipe.

Pex is good and some here say it won't split if frozen solid, but what happens to crimping rings. Will they expand and leak if frozen solid? You need that crimping tool and it better be adjusted right. Same thing if you make a repair, need that tool.

In the well house I like the old plastic black pipe. Hairdryer, stainless radiator clamps and good to go.To make a repair, utility knife or hairdryer.

As far as sharkbite fittings anyone know how long that internal O ring will last? You need that little tool to release them and sometimes they can be a pain.

I have an older manufactued home with that crappy grey pipe. I have made many repairs over the years with sharkbite style fittings. If I was starting fresh I would crimp but I haven't had any issues with the other fittings. I've also found you can release them with an appropriate sized open end wrench. A half inch wrench is easier to find when fumbling around under a house than that release tool is.
Go to Top of Page

Oakie
Advanced Member

26025 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  07:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I did my whole house in the mountains with pex, as well as our three rental homes. Never a problem, as long as you have the correct tool to crimp the bands on. I prefer pex over copper, especially with well water. If you are redoing your plumbing. Go pex and have a professional do it. Oak
Go to Top of Page

bpost
Advanced Member

Azerbaijan
37430 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  07:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My motor home in Alaska had Pex in it back in the mid 1990's. It was frozen up every weekend for years and no leak ever developed. I would put water in it Friday morning and heat it until the pipes thawed out and use it all week end snow machining in Eureka Roadhouse area of AK. I would drain the water and water heater tanks on the drive back home and let the lines freeze again. We never had a leak.

I am a practicing Curmudgeon, someone that hates hypocrisy and pretense and has the temerity to say so.

Go to Top of Page

Knifecollector
Advanced Member

USA
3362 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  09:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a plumber with almost 3 decades of experience, I will tell you that Pex is the pipe you want to use. Sharkbites are good to use in exposed locations, but code won't allow them to be underground or covered with drywall, wood paneling ,etc. Polymer fittings with copper crimp rings are the best.
Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
5171 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  09:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
big thumbs UP.. about a year ago I had a water leak between the house and the meter,,tried everything to find it with no luck,,called a service company to see what it would cost to come find leak. I was shocked..I rented a ditch witch and laid all new pipe for 1/2 what they wanted to just find the leak,
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33750 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  12:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PEX is your friend and can be easily repaired WITHOUT fire...and will never be affected by electrolysis, lime..and take more shifting or settling in ground
Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
46925 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  12:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. Doing a laundry,and utility sink hook up in the basement.
Bringing pex off the copper mains,hot/cold.

GunBroker.com Moderator
Go to Top of Page

mogley98
Advanced Member

USA
14250 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  12:50:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell that to the folks with pin hole leaks in their copper plumbing.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

montanajoe

Trinidad and Tobago
46925 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  2:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done!! Looks good,works good,NO LEAKY!!!!!!!!!!!

GunBroker.com Moderator
Go to Top of Page

fideau
Advanced Member

USA
11894 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  3:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, copper is not forever. I have replaced about 1/4 of the copper pipes under my house. Hard water eats it up like acid. I could collapse copper with my fingers it was so thin, and pin hole leaks.
I love Pex, and SharkBite. I can solder copper fine. It's 2 times the cost or more of Pex now. And I can fix a leak in minutes. After I saw my plumber using SharkBites I started saving a lot of money doing it myself.

Jim

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."
Go to Top of Page

4205raymond

772 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2018 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, like I said would never use copper with well water. If copper sweats (cold water) you will get pin holes. Copper went in my house in 1941 and never a problem. If I am just adding on something just as easy to use up copper that I have left over from years ago. If I were starting from scratch Pex is the way to go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page