GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 reloading question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

47studebaker

USA
1986 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  7:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Helped Dad reload many years ago and got myself into it a few years ago with a mentor to bring me up to date. I load or will be loading 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 7mm TCU, 308, 30-06, and 7mm Mag.

I have a Sierra 3rd and 10th, Hornady 7th, Speer 10th, and Lyman 46th.

Are there any I don't have that I should get?

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15764 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  8:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ABCs of Reloading is a great reference-not only for new folks, but one you will keep around. Check on line at alibris.com as well as amazon. A copy from a couple of years back is dirt cheap.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17864 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  8:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My go to is "Modern Reloading", by Richard Lee. Be sure and get the first edition, if possible. Circa 2001. Unfortunately the latter editions, have been neutered by the lawyers.

Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2018 :  9:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's sort of a trade off new powders are found in new books, but new books often drop old or odd ball cartridges like the Hornet. There are some free online data places.

Youtube has tons of vids, some are good and you might even learn something new and useful.
Go to Top of Page

varian

426 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have acquired many reloading books over the years. the book Modern Reloading by richard lee is very good and very comprehensive. i have read it several times and still find things to learn in it. i also like my Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook quite well.
Go to Top of Page

varian

426 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  3:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by the way my CZ hornet shoots very well with 12.4gr Lil Gun with either a 40 or 45 gr sierra. slightly compressed load
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17364 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  3:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like HORNET and K hornet i have found that both Shoot smaller groups if one use the small pistol primers rather than small rifle primers I have both love them for ground HOGS
Go to Top of Page

spirits

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  7:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are new to reloading, I'd look at Youtube videos and learn about different techniques. There's a lot there and you can specify the cartridge you're interested in reloading and watch the video. Most of my reloading I learned from books which I still use after 60 years of reloading - obviously newer edition books with the old ones. I've since evolved into basically a hunter who reloads his cartridges every season like a precision match/bench-rest shooter-reloader.
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4131 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2018 :  7:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manuals are good to tell you HOW to reload, you don't have to have the latest edition.

There is a lot of good information on youtube. There is a lot of crap. I think you should confirm Bubba's Blasting Bullets video with reputably published instructional material.

Current powders and loads are available in FREE literature or the WWW.
Go to Top of Page

47studebaker

USA
1986 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  8:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. !!
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5533 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  9:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The biggest thing I find with the reloading mauals is the START point. Not all rifles will make it to the max with the powder loads they give. Some rifles will go well beyond what they list as a maximum.

But, you need to know your rifle and what is going on with the cartridge during the firing process.

A good example is RE-17. It uses a different method than most older powders to integrate the burn retardant. Often times people use the "look for signs of pressure" with it. In the case of RE-17 and IMR 8208 XBR stay within the book limits.

If you start to see erratic velocities you are already over the limit. You will see those velocities before you see pressure signs on your case.

Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.
Go to Top of Page

Oakie
Advanced Member

25910 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2018 :  8:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perry shooter

I really like HORNET and K hornet i have found that both Shoot smaller groups if one use the small pistol primers rather than small rifle primers I have both love them for ground HOGS

Definitely the small pistol primers. You told me about this a few years back, when I was having trouble reloading for the Hornet. Now it is my favorite caliber to reload and shoot. Great advice Perry. Oak
Go to Top of Page

pulsarnc

USA
2367 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  9:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy a chronograph ,some of the best money you will ever spend if you want to load to the calibers full potential in your individual gun.Load development is much easier when you can see in real terms just what each additional grain or two of powder does in regard to speed . welcome back to the addiction

don't pick a fight with an old man ,if he is to old to fight he will just shoot you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page