GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Duck Bill 870 barrel?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bridgebuilder41

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is a duck bill shotgun barrel,and did Remington make a factory duck bill barrel, and are they rare.

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
44991 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  09:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DuckDuckGo is your friend. Here is part of your answer:
http://www.paradigmsrp.com/gator-shotgun-spreader/

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7432 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A duck bill bbl in general terms refers to a perfect round bore and muzzle being flattened out via pressure till its appearance resembles a ducks bill

If the bbl did not explode when fired through it would theoretically spend the shot pattern horizontally and reduce its vertical impact

You shot patter would not be near true circular or round but a flattened oval longer right to left than up and down

I cannot imagine a legal non military use for such a modification

If there is an actual legal bbl manufactured by Remington called a duck bill bbl that has a legitimate purpose I am unaware of it

Imagine if you fired a slug accidently through one

If I am wrong I look forward to correction and education

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)

Edited by - mrmike08075 on 02/03/2018 09:39:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

USA
26179 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe that there was ever a factory "duck bill" barrel made by Remington. Back in 1968 US Navy SEALs requested some sort of device which would allow for a horizontal shot pattern. A muzzle attachment was developed at China Lake which could be installed on either a Remington 870 or an Ithaca 37, both of which were in wide use in Vietnam. The device looked all the world like a duckbill, and the name stuck. Navy armorers installed the devices once they arrived "in country". It worked, but not without issues. It was developed and tested in China Lake around #4 buckshot, which is not a military load. 00 didn't pattern quite as well and it also tended to bend the fracture the lower "bill", which lead to eventual fractures and the devices were withdrawn from service when the last SEAL team left Vietnam in 1971. Originals are out there, but are highly collectible and are priced well beyond the means of a casual shooter.

With that said, the device lives on today, usually called a shot spreader. Priced at between $100-$200, they are designed to work with virtually any shot load and can be installed on any barrel threaded for choke tubes. Do a Google search and you'll find several types on offer.
Go to Top of Page

bridgebuilder41

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  2:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found one on eBay #202211821909 is it a real Remington factory barrel?
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17864 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  2:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bridgebuilder41

As I see it. The barrel is authentic. But the main question would be, if the modification was actually done at Remington. If you could substantiate, that it was made into duck bill at/by Remington. It would be worth big bucks. Aftermarket on the other hand, not so much.

Go to Top of Page

toad67
Advanced Member

USA
5845 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  1:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at pic 9. The part of the rib on top of the receiver is flattened to resemble a duckbill. I've never seen a factory Remington like that though..

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/744300989
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  2:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen military #4 buckshot. I have shot lots of issue OO, and IMHO it was all under powered.
Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8230 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  3:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

quote:
Originally posted by bridgebuilder41

As I see it. The barrel is authentic. But the main question would be, if the modification was actually done at Remington. If you could substantiate, that it was made into duck bill at/by Remington. It would be worth big bucks. Aftermarket on the other hand, not so much.

Weren't military shotgun barrels Parkerized?
Go to Top of Page

b0400879

Barbados
308 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A decent image of it right here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/038071986X/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page