GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Colt Lightning 22
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dodge69

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  7:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran across a Colt Lightning 22 that has been totally rebuilt, blued, wood looks perfect. The barrel and receiver looks about like the old Winchester blue only brand new only they were the same color. It had colts name on it but it looked so good it appeared to be new. Has there been a remake of this old gun?
I would guess it would be worth as much as any gun that has been totally restored, what ever you can get it for, cheap. Or if it is a replica less. I just do not run into the colts that often.

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7065 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  8:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uberti makes a mid frame repro in .45 Colt and .357, but no has made a .22 small frame repro to my knowledge.
I did a "how to" on the Small Frame disassembly/re-assembly if you need it.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582380

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17864 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  8:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Uberti and Taurus have made modern replicas. But in centerfire calibers, as far as I know?

Haven't heard anything, about .22 Lightning's replicas being made. But anything is possible? The lever action Winchester's coming out of Japan, are really nice. If they wanted to make a .22 Lightning replicas, I'm sure they would be really high quality.

Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15483 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  9:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turnbull Restoration has done Colt Lightnings:

https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/colt-large-frame-lighting-rifle/

Neal
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33068 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  05:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have a colt 22 lightning ..all but the slide cover.. a common item absent from them
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  05:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got shoot a 22 Lighting from the gunshop's inventory. IIRC it was in poor shape maybe 30% with a very poor bore.

My dad had an 1890 22 Short he got when he was a kid in the early 30's. It looked like it was made yesterday. He took it to a few shows, most 'experts' insisted it was redone. It was new when he bought it and well cared for. He didn't tell me where it went or what he got for it - just don't look for it. Point is there are sleepers out there.
Go to Top of Page

dodge69

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  08:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kind of doubt this is a replica but I wouldn't think a Lightning would have the same color barrel and receiver that looks like the real bright Remington color. At any rate it is a heck of a pretty gun but the guy has no idea what it is worth. It was picked up in a sale and was included in a lot of guns he purchased.
I have only seen a few Lightnings but they were bigger center fire guns. Only seen one 22 in Tulsa last year. If I remember correctly it was a rust Blue/black gun. May somebody just wanted a pretty gun.
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7065 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2018 :  6:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Medium Frame (pistol calibers) and Large Frame (rifle calibers) Lightnings are mechanically identical, The LF is just bigger/longer. The small frame .22 Lightning is completely different inside, and complex. I would think a repro wouldn't be cost effective to produce. Slick little pump action though, I would rate it a notch above a Win 1890.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page