GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Odd Vintage Shot Shells
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fairlane66

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  5:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going through an old cigar box that's been in my shop for fifteen years and came across the following single cartridges that I need help identifying.

1. Remington-Peters, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", plastic hull, that appears to be factory loaded with white plastic shot (visible through the plastic hull). The round is very light and definitely factory, not a reload. Has the copper-colored brass that was common in the 70s. Can't find any on-line info, so can someone tell me what I have? Why plastic shot and what was it used for?

2. Twelve Gauge, 2 3/4", paper hull round with a head stamp Orbea on the upper and Victoria on the lower part of the brass. Can't find any on-line references, though some sites suggest made in Australia. Any help?

3. I'll try to post a picture of this one later, but it appears to be a handgun cartridge made of solid red plastic. It bears no headstamp and appears to be about the size of a 38 Special cartridge. There's no crimp, but the paper in the mouth of the cartridge is stamped "9" to indicate, I assume, #9 shot. I've never seen one of these before and it's definitely an intriguing round. Any idea who made them?

Thanks in advance for any help identifying these cartridges.

fordsix
Advanced Member

8187 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  5:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a box full,, police deterant shell
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7065 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  5:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#3 sounds like a 9mm shot shell. Maybe Speer indoor .38 ammo?

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1439 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  01:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fairlane66,

Photos would sure help.

#2 is an interesting cartridge. It maybe made by Cartuchería Orbea Argentina S.A., but I doubt it. Mostly Orbea sells or manufactures shotshells for sale by other countries in Latin America including Mexico, Peru, Cuba and others. However, it is also known that shotshells with the headstamp Orbea Vitoria (note: the headstamp probably sayes Vitoria not Victoria) were made in Vitoria which is the seat of government and the capital city of the Basque Autonomous Community in the north of Spain. These shells were probably assembled by a company (“Hijos de Orbea” (Sons of Orbea)) founded 1926, using Orbea NPEs and components. I don't know of anyone who knows its detailed history but it would be an interesting one.

#3 If it is a solid red plastic cartridge it is probably an Alcan pistol shotshell. I have several Alcan 45 Colt shotshells in my collection. The number on the paper shot card is the shot size, so you are correct, it is #9 shot. The shot card is held in place by a roll crimp. The dimensions for the 45 Colt are Rim Diameter: 0.510, OAL: 1.28, Base Diameter: 0.475. These were made circa mid-1960's. Photo below.

Hope this helps.

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7065 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  3:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heavyiron, I had forgotten about the Alcan rounds. I shot some a buddy had back in the late 60's. I remember them being a lot more potent than the CCI snake loads too.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15764 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  7:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the man said up there ^^^, #1 is a riot control load. See here: http://collectibleammunition.com/product.php?s=12-gauge-riot-control-remington-12-ga-peters

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

Fairlane66

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  10:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Gents. Very helpful info.
Go to Top of Page

mjrfd99

USA
2323 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2018 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 11b6r

As the man said up there ^^^, #1 is a riot control load. See here: http://collectibleammunition.com/product.php?s=12-gauge-riot-control-remington-12-ga-peters

Thanks for the link- I have a bunch of old/clasic ammo to get rid of.
Another shelf to sort
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page