GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 .224 Weatherby
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ambrose

2370 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  7:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody here ever have one? What did you think of it?

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shot one a long time back. Ammo and brass was hard to fund back before the internet. I prefer cartridges I can make/form from something else. I like Roy's big brass stuff like the 460 WM. My buddy's had a single set on that cannon.
Go to Top of Page

62fuelie

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  9:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has capabilities in the midst of the high velocity .224 pack. As mentioned, brass and loaded rounds are hard to find and pricey when you do find them. The miniature Mk V is an attractive rifle, but I would rather have something I can walk into a local gun shop in Back-of-Beyond, Idaho and buy off the shelf. For this power range I would suggest the 22-250. It is not quite as common as the .223, but has established itself as the top dog in the higher velocity tier and most shops will have some on the shelf.

B
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9998 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  04:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ambrose,

The .224 Weatherby s a unique, proprietary cartridge produced by Roy Weatherby after two previous failed attempts to enter the .22 caliber varmint/hunting market. Case capacity is reasonable although not at the top end of what we expect nowadays. It is often compared to the .22-250 although it lacks a little of the upper end velocity range. It is a superb varmint cartridge and can be pressed into service for hunting smaller species of large game when loaded with proper bullets. Shot placement is mandatory, of course.

I have one of the older Weatherby rifles chambered for the .224 Weatherby when the rifles were produced in Germany. It is petite by my standards, with a pencil thin barrel suited to just a couple of shots before needing to be cooled down. The twist rate is 1:14" so that it is a dedicated varmint hunter and not necessarily useful for small deer unless you load with the 55 grain spitzers.

I have never found the ammunition or the brass to be difficult to find, although it probably won't be on the shelf of your backwoods local gun shop. But neither will many of the other current cartridges either. I don't rely on out-of-the-way stores to supply my needs for hunting and shooting. As with most of what I shoot and load for, I take responsibility to keep my supply of brass and components on hand for my needs. That way, I can shoot and enjoy the experience without the induced stress of trying to find ammunition on a shelf somewhere.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

10331 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  08:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you like the "style", buy it for the rifle not the cartridge.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page