GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Japanese type 38
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfen1949
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  3:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone every made a good safety for a Jap rifle ? That big button one is a pain to use.

336marlin

202 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  5:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Timney's trigger for the Arisaka's has a side safety on it. Will require some stock inletting; assuming you are sporterizing it or it is already sportered.

"It is going to be fun to watch and see how long the meek can keep the earth after they inherit it" Kin Hubbard
Go to Top of Page

wolfen1949
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  6:38:06 PM  Show Profile
I have a good trigger just wanted to know if anyone made their own safety or something ?
Go to Top of Page

Hawk Carse
Advanced Member

4206 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  8:12:20 PM  Show Profile
I saw one with a crossbolt safety in the trigger guard like a pump shotgun. A lot of work when gunsmiths worked cheap.
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3700 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  7:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Only alternative safety I know of is the Timney. Digging around in the back of my memory bank I'm thinking that Traister (sp?) used to make a trigger for the Arisaka's. Don't recall if it had a safety. The Timneys were offered both with and without safety.
That said, I've found that the original safety, while unconventional, is easy to operate and get used to. It can be moved to the fire position quietly in a smooth motion of the thumb while shouldering the rifle.
Good luck.

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

navc130

699 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  7:47:08 PM  Show Profile
I had a sporter Type 99 with a side mounted safety that looked home made. Sorry, I don't remember how it worked internally.
When I was hunting with a 7.7 Jap and I wanted to make it safe, I just raised the bolt handle a little.
The only real problem with the Jap safeties is when a scope is mounted on the rifle. Then you only have room for your thumb to press and turn the safety and limited turn radius.

Edited by - navc130 on 02/10/2018 07:47:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

wolfen1949
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  7:47:22 PM  Show Profile
TY, I have a good trigger was just wondering if anyone made a trigger saftey for the 38, even home made one
Go to Top of Page

spirits

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  8:13:38 PM  Show Profile
I have a 38 Arisaka military rifle. I would keep the thumb push safety if it works properly. You might have to disassemble the bolt and clean/oil it first. All the sporterized 38s I've seen retain its safety.
Go to Top of Page

pulsarnc
Advanced Member

USA
2632 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  9:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Ariskas get little respect but they are really a well built rifle ,except for the late war models.If memory serves one of the more prominent gun writers about 20 years ago did a series of destruction tests on ariskas ,mauser 98 s and a few more types . he used ever increasing loads of powder until he blew them up.The ariska was the strongest action tested ,working with loads that had trashed everything else .May have been in rifle magazine got to dig around and see if I can find it

don't pick a fight with an old man ,if he is to old to fight he will just shoot you
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5757 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  9:25:27 PM  Show Profile
I think it's a palm safety. PO Ackley did some tests, IIRC he blew the barrels of the action with like a full case of 2400 the bolt didn't fail.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
8695 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  08:49:44 AM  Show Profile
I have 3 type 99 arisaka bolt action rifles (naval infantry variant) that are intact and retain there as issued military configuration (with the exception of the mums being ground off)

I have both a single sporterized type 99 and a single sporterized type 38 (both while altered in other ways retain their original back of the bolt body cap style rotating safety knobs)

Both were done by Jeager in jenkintown PA in the 60's

I also have one type 99 sniper rifle that is fully intact and in original configuration

If your rifle is in its original configuration / intact and unaltered as issued altering the gun by modifying or changing the safety will greatly detract from the value and desirability

If your rifle has been sporterized and or altered than no harm / no foul

The manual bolt safety system on these rifles are bullet proof and while different from what you may be familiar with the design is safe and reliable

As referenced above these rifles are well designed and have the strongest action of its day - P.O. ackley was unable to cause a major failure during extensive destructive comparative testing.

Hatcher and others tested them as well and had the same results - the conclusion being that the arisaka design was superior and the steel strength of the action was superior.

And FYI in case you were unaware the bbl's had chrome lined bores

While I am certain that someone - at sometime manufactured and sold a replacement or upgrade safety in the European / American type and or style post war I have never seen or handled a rifle with one installed (online at auction or hands on)

And unless it's a drop in unit easily installed and requiring little skill most folk will require a trained and experienced gunsmith (requiring time and money assuming he can do the work

Your posts don't fully explain the circumstances

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3700 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  5:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Flaigs of Millvale , PA did some fine sporterizing work on the Arisakas as well as Enfields, Springfields and other military rifles.
I think they might have been more popular except for the unique (?) feature of cocking on the close, and not the opening of the bolt as with most other M. 98's, Remingtons, Winchesters, Springfields, etc.
I do recall that it was (is?) possible to modify the action so it also cocks on openning, but I have no experience with this particular mod.
I was given an Arisaka once with a live round stuck in the chamber.
Long story short, I ended up tying it to a tree and pulling the trigger with a long string from behind another tree. Not sure, but finally concluded that someone had rechambered a 6.5 to .308 without openning the bore. Had to use a 2X4 to pound open the bolt and the case head was melted, primer pocket roughly twice original size the rim unrecognizable.

Rob
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

wolfen1949
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  6:07:01 PM  Show Profile
Rifle has already been messed with, It has a bent bolt and scope. With the scope on the safety is very hard to engage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page