GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 30-30 crimp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geeguy

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  12:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First time reloading a 30-30. Used FN 170 gr. non-cannelure bullets.

Bullets keep sliding back when cycling with the tube magazine (Win 94). Normally use Lee final crimp die for other rifle rounds, but using Lyman dies (FL 2 die set) for this load. 1/3 turn down from brass lip, any more seems to effect the shoulder. Questions:
1. Do I need to use cannelure bullets?
2. Am I setting the tapered crimp to tight?
Recommendations: (if not I'll just buy a final crimp die)
Thanks

yonson

425 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  2:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question. Since the 30-30 brass is so thin, crimping can be iffy, esp. with no cannelure. I am not using taper crimp in this instance due to possibility of lip crushing as I am also using bullets w/o cannelure (180 gr. RN for a hunting load), so have been using the Lee factory crimp die. Seems to work for me. Monitor results with field testing to confirm OAL is not affected while crimp is not excessive, shortening brass life.
Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

7675 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  3:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an old set of lyman dies also. I only turn down 1/8-less 1/4 after a TIGHT touch of lip. wondering if the die may be worn??
Go to Top of Page

geeguy

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  3:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hill:
Maybe I'm crimping to hard, I'll try lighter and see if that helps. The die set is quite old but had never been used (old Lyman Black box).

Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5585 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  6:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never had issues when using a crimp grove in cast or a cannelure in jacketed.
Go to Top of Page

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

USA
8723 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  8:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 OPTIONS
A. USE CANANELURED BULLETS
B. LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE
Go to Top of Page

ENBLOC

229 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  02:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I load .30-30 with cannelure 170 gr. Hornady. Trick when using die set with built in crimp shoulder is to have ALL brass trimmed to exact same overall length. I would think you could use a Lee Factory crimp die for non-cannelure as they say it will crimp that hard into the bullet. I would guess results here would be better IF all brass is trimmed to same overall length before starting down either road...
Go to Top of Page

bpost
Advanced Member

Azerbaijan
37585 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  7:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbille

I have an old set of lyman dies also. I only turn down 1/8-less 1/4 after a TIGHT touch of lip. wondering if the die may be worn??

You would have to wear your shoulder out before the die would wear out but it could be out of spec and too loose.

I am a practicing Curmudgeon, someone that hates hypocrisy and pretense and has the temerity to say so.

Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
3374 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  11:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that a consistent case length is really important when crimping tube-mag rounds like the .30-30. I loaded up 20 using the Extreme 170 plated bullet and IMR 3031. One case mouth had a bulged crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp Die... because the case was a tad bit longer than the others. (Lesson learned!)

The Lee FCD is a great tool for these rounds, and even though it's not as necessary with my bolt action rounds I use them on others like .270, .243, 6.5x55 etc. for ignition consistency.

Stay safe!
Go to Top of Page

B17-P51

Vatican City
1742 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riomouse
The Lee factory crimp die cannot bulge a case neck because of a case length difference issue. The die is activated by the shellholder pushing up on the bottom of the die. This measurement is always the same.This feature is what makes the Lee FCD so popular,case length is not as important as with a roll crimp.
Go to Top of Page

Riomouse911
Advanced Member

USA
3374 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2018 :  11:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It bulged slightly on the neck right below the crimp, but only that one round out of twenty did. I can't figure out any other reason for this to happen on just this one round other than I had the case a bit longer than the others. I guessed that the the FCD held the top of the case in place as it was crimped, and the round was moved upwards just a fraction more by the ram causing the bulge in the neck.

I certainly may be wrong, but I can't think of what else may have caused such a weird bulge...and not a case-wrinkle below the bullet like I've done to so many other handgun rounds with roll-crimps over the years.

Go to Top of Page

pip5255
Advanced Member

USA
7524 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  7:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cannelure bullets work best, make sure case lengths are correct and set die for crimp correctly, I believe lyman recommends 1/4 turn maximum, too much depth weakens the crimp at the top where it makes the greatest contact.

tired not retired !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page