GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 410 Revolvers for self defense? part 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marv

57 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got locked out before I could thank everyone that responded. Beantownshootah (sp?)gets a special nod. You have confirmed what I pretty much already knew. The Governor is neat to play with, but it really doesn't serve much purpose. I have found a self defense load specifically designed for the Governor, the 45 Colt Judge/Governor 220gr Maximum Expansion Ammunition from Lehigh Defense. Pricey, but it may solve some of the guns problems brought about by the long cylinder.

I would like to add that slugs may be OK in a Taurus but not in the Smith. I fired a cylinder full of Remington 2 1/2" slugs through it and couldn't extract them. I had to get my range rod and push each one out individually. Some came out fairly easy but two had to be hammered out. I apparently hit the ejector rod hard enough to break one of the points off of the extractor. The best I can tell, the plastic of the case rolled out into the throat when fired and the slug pressed it into place. I sent it to Smith for repairs.(I would like to commend S&W for their warranty work. Quick, easy and free. What more could you ask.) It was returned within a week and they sent a note saying that I shouldn't shoot slugs in it. I re-read the manual and it doesn't say NOT to shoot slugs in it. It does only mention "shotshells" though. I don't know but I'll never shoot slugs in it again.

If I could get S&W to make the same basic gun with a shortened cylinder and frame that would take the 45 Colt and 45 acp only, I would buy two of them. Bulldogs rule. Thanks again.

NRA - Benefactor Member

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17864 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  7:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Never seen them before. Kind of impressive, if they actually work as described. Guaranteed to be a attitude adjuster for a bad guy.

Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5502 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  8:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLonprIWm4

$3.50 a pop

Gas checks in the 45-70, no wads. Unique or 700X.

I have a bunch of aluminum 3" 410 cases that were the military survival rounds. I'd bet they could work well in the long chambers.
Go to Top of Page

savage170
Advanced Member

24377 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  05:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can take a model 25 45 colt and send the cylinder to tkcustoms and they can machine the cylinder to accept 45 acp

All characters appearing in these jokes are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I've got to stop saying, "How stupid can you be?"
Too many people are taking it as a challenge.
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17864 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  1:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marv

I got locked out before I could thank everyone that responded. Beantownshootah (sp?)gets a special nod. You have confirmed what I pretty much already knew. The Governor is neat to play with, but it really doesn't serve much purpose. I have found a self defense load specifically designed for the Governor, the 45 Colt Judge/Governor 220gr Maximum Expansion Ammunition from Lehigh Defense. Pricey, but it may solve some of the guns problems brought about by the long cylinder.

I would like to add that slugs may be OK in a Taurus but not in the Smith. I fired a cylinder full of Remington 2 1/2" slugs through it and couldn't extract them. I had to get my range rod and push each one out individually. Some came out fairly easy but two had to be hammered out. I apparently hit the ejector rod hard enough to break one of the points off of the extractor. The best I can tell, the plastic of the case rolled out into the throat when fired and the slug pressed it into place. I sent it to Smith for repairs.(I would like to commend S&W for their warranty work. Quick, easy and free. What more could you ask.) It was returned within a week and they sent a note saying that I shouldn't shoot slugs in it. I re-read the manual and it doesn't say NOT to shoot slugs in it. It does only mention "shotshells" though. I don't know but I'll never shoot slugs in it again.

If I could get S&W to make the same basic gun with a shortened cylinder and frame that would take the 45 Colt and 45 acp only, I would buy two of them. Bulldogs rule. Thanks again.

According to the Smith web site. The Governor will function with the 45 ACP, using various types of "Moon clips". Over and above, the 45 LC and .410 shells.

Due to it's light weight alloy frame. It seems to be much lighter and handier, than the standard "N" frame revolvers. The overlong cylinder seems to be the only drawback.

The only question in my mind, would be the type of rifling in the barrel. The Taurus Judge I had, was terrible in this respect. Only was accurate, with .454 oversized lead bullets handloads. With a very light charge, of fast burning powder.

Go to Top of Page

Marv

57 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  4:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rufe - the rifling in my Governor is very sharp and clean but seems to be a little shallow. I could keep every "solid" I tried in 4" at 7 yards and it pretty much shot to point of aim. I've shot everything through it and keep it loaded with Cor-Bon's 45lc topped with the old Speer 200 grain flying ashtray. I do not like the 45 acp loads in the gun for an odd reason. They just don't sound right. After listening to it when I or my buddies shot it, it made a "bloop" sound when fired. Attributing it to the long jump to the rifling I did an experiment. I took the Governor, a 1911, a 1917 Colt, a Webley Mk VI that had been "shaved" and some friends to the range to compare the sound they made. I used the same Winchester 230 gr FMJ in all of them. They all sounded different and you could identify them by sound. The sounds ranged from the bang of the 1911, the pop of the Webley, the boom of the 1917 to the bloop of the Governor. I didn't chronograph them but may do that down the road. They may not be that far apart speed wise but,and it may just be me, I don't trust a load that goes bloop as a self defense load.

NRA - Benefactor Member
Go to Top of Page

tsr1965
Advanced Member

USA
7870 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  5:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, those revolvers are more of a conversation piece than practical. Neither one is reliable, Taurus especially, so why would anyone want to use it for defense?

S&W, and Ruger both make revolvers in 45 Colt, and 45 ACP. Ruger has one with interchangeable cylinders, and I think you can get a S&W in 45 Colt cut for moon clips and shoot 45 ACP too.

Take a look at these auctions on the otherside...
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/BrowseItems.aspx?IncludeSellers=484399

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=716063

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page