GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 My wife is resigning her job
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beneteau
Advanced Member

7849 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  10:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

She's been with this company 10 months as a Material Planner. She has not been a Material Planner since the day she started. Does nothing but expedite incoming materials. This company changes production schedules on a daily basis. There is no way to obtain needed materials with the daily production schedule changes. Very hostile working environment.

Every day she wants to "throw up" knowing she's going back to that hell-hole. In 10 months, she has had 3 different supervisors. Constant pressure to accomplish impossible tasks.

She received a rant from a supervisor because he couldn't understand why one of her vendors couldn't get a part from China in 3 days.

Last week she was written up for part shortage and the part was the responsibility of another Material Planner.

No end to upper management's stupidity.

We talked it over last night so Monday morning they will get her resignation.

We should be OK until she can land another job. The house is "paid off" so we'll have a roof over our heads.

Heavy Chevy

USA
724 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  10:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for her! When the job starts to make her sick, it's time to go!
Go to Top of Page

84Bravo1
Advanced Member

8860 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  10:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life is too short to be miserable in the Job you have. Especially with the situation you describe.

Best of luck to your Wife on landing a new Gig.

Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

7670 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  10:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think I would file harrassment charges before leaving, or threat of such for an apology before going...
Go to Top of Page

84Bravo1
Advanced Member

8860 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  10:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbille

think I would file harrassment charges before leaving, or threat of such for an apology before going...

Negative. "Hostile Work Environment." Get it on record when you file your resignation.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7744 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  11:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not good and not healthy.

Being forced to deal with such a situation is stressful and a heavy burden

For what it's worth I hope that better days are ahead for you and yours.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

nutfinn
Advanced Member

10297 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TNN=The New Norm
Go to Top of Page

buddyb
Advanced Member

3124 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  11:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for her and good for you.It is hell living with a woman that hates her job.
Go to Top of Page

asphalt cowboy
Advanced Member

7396 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  11:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for her.
Ain't no paycheck worth sacrificing her own dignity and self respect over.

I might curse because roses have thorns, or I might rejoice because thorns have roses.
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

26726 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And no reason to make money for anyone who treats you like crap.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page

Old-Colts
Advanced Member

USA
22533 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  11:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the circumstances and work environment that you describe; you and your wife came to the right decision. Best of luck to both of you!
Go to Top of Page

4205raymond

799 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  12:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She sounds like a smart cookie. I am sure her next employer will appreciate her talent.
Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
30972 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She COULD make them suffer ... stick around and let them fire her. Then she can collect unemployment on their dime.

However, being in a hostile work enviornment is not good; been there a few times & resigned from a few positions.

Last time in such a situation, I just bought the business and ran it successfully until retirement.

The old saying; "Nothing is impossible for those who do NOT have to do it" is so true.

My employees were always treated respectfully...the way I expected to be treated & never fired anyone.
When some departed for other jobs, I always wished them well.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ 1966-1968 USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968

Edited by - us55840 on 02/10/2018 12:13:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
25870 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  3:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She didn't ask for my advice but I'll give it anyway.

If at all possible she should leave on friendly terms; at least on paper. It is hard to resist the temptation to slam them but it's usually best.

Go to Top of Page

abrickrock
Starting Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  3:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds exactly like where I used to work. Material planner is probably the toughest job these days, every company lies about delivery time. I wasn’t in that department but I felt for those people.
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7514 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  4:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to move on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

Wrangler
Advanced Member

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  4:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Life is too short to be stressed out all of the time. I wish her well. Plenty of other jobs out there.
Go to Top of Page

fordsix
Advanced Member

8298 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  5:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eat a can o beans night before HR visit
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
40537 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad she caught it early and you are in a place that gives her time to find a new job. Stress is a killer.
Go to Top of Page

Idahobound
Advanced Member

USA
8164 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  5:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any thought on keeping that job until she finds a new one. Employed people are more employable.
Go to Top of Page

andrewsw16
Advanced Member

USA
11057 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  5:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamesRK

If at all possible she should leave on friendly terms; at least on paper. It is hard to resist the temptation to slam them but it's usually best.

Agree. Leave on friendly terms. Just grit your teeth and do it. These are the people who will be contacted by her next prospective employer. Don't want comments about "disgruntled employee" or "troublemaker" being mentioned to the new job interviewer. Just leave for "personal reasons" and "wanting to explore new career opportunities".
Go to Top of Page

asop
Advanced Member

5168 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  6:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you have to walk away sometimes you have to run.
Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

7670 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  9:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrewsw16

quote:
Originally posted by JamesRK

Agree. Leave on friendly terms. Just grit your teeth and do it. These are the people who will be contacted by her next prospective employer. Don't want comments about "disgruntled employee" or "troublemaker" being mentioned to the new job interviewer. Just leave for "personal reasons" and "wanting to explore new career opportunities".

while I agree totally, most companies like the one mentioned, will get mad when she quits, and I doubt they would give a good reference no matter what she says when she leaves. sounds like the management is just wanting to push blame on anyone they can to keep themselves looking good, much as I hate to say it, but that seems to be the norm with most companies today, all upper management wants are yes men, and they will blame anyone under them to keep themselves looking as good as possible. best of luck to her and you, as others have said piece of mind is way better than living with the daily stress.
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
16150 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2018 :  9:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she hates it there that much, it's time for change. but she's not to make sure she leaves on good terms. As JamesRK said...

Even if they don't give a good recommendation because they feel jilted, if she leave on bad terms, they can give a horrible recommendation
Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
31747 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  09:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remingtonoaks

If she hates it there that much, it's time for change. but she's not to make sure she leaves on good terms. As JamesRK said...

Even if they don't give a good recommendation because they feel jilted, if she leave on bad terms, they can give a horrible recommendation

AND...get a great big fat lawsuit on their asses in return too!!!

Most companies anymore won't even let supervisors talk to companies looking for references, they have their HR departments do it. All they'll say is the person worked for the company, and 'click'. In the firm I work for taking a reference call without referring it to HR is grounds for termination (even as a senior program level engineer/manager).

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Go to Top of Page

Warbirds
Advanced Member

USA
13415 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

quote:

Most companies anymore won't even let supervisors talk to companies looking for references, they have their HR departments do it. All they'll say is the person worked for the company, and 'click'. In the firm I work for taking a reference call without referring it to HR is grounds for termination (even as a senior program level engineer/manager).

Well the HR folks can phrase it differently

Yes I can verify Ms. Jones was a material planner here from August -2004 until February of 218.

OR

Ms. Jones was employed with Global Corp from August 2004 until February of 2018 but our legal department will not allow me to provide any other details.

Both of which are accurate but they send very different messages to prospective employers.

"I couldn't possibly care less. Im actually trying to care less and just can't get there." - Kevd18
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15674 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  11:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They may be setting her up for "termination with cause", so that she won't get workmans compensation that would be charged against the company. I would suggest that she try to document every unreasonable action that they take against her. Even record conversations & interviews on her cellphone (if legally permitted by the state).

Neal
Go to Top of Page

asphalt cowboy
Advanced Member

7396 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Resigning this soon after a written reprimand they're going to know why and will be scrambling to cover their collective asses. There's no way she's going to be able to sugar Toxic Environment as a reason for resigning.

Given the toxic environment they created and the bogus write up there's no reason to believe they won't scheme some bogus means of getting unemployment benefits denied.

I might curse because roses have thorns, or I might rejoice because thorns have roses.
Go to Top of Page

grumpygy
Advanced Member

USA
40537 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  12:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

quote:

Yep all they will say is if the person did work there. Nothing else.
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

16140 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  05:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not there (YET) but I can't wait to QUIT!!!
Go to Top of Page

44pinshooter

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  06:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for her.
Any job that make you sick, just fills you with stress and stress can and does lead to health issues. You and her, don't need that.
Just me, but becareful on how she leaves. Better to leave on "frendly" terms. The management can and will say all kinds of things about her to any inquiries from a new employer.
Last year, my day job, fired a manager. I worked next to him for 11 years and other than he had a habbit of being late, a lot, some times a bit moody, but seemed to always get his work done. I do not know why he was fired, but the company line is, "He was terminated in October 2017 and is barred from coming on company property." Maybe he did something that I don't know about or maybe he stepped on the wrong toes?
If you were looking at hiring him, would that line make you step back?
Have her put in her 2 week notice, then take her for a nice weekend some where and treat her like a queen.

Exposure to the Son, will pervent burning.
Go to Top of Page

Cubslover
Advanced Member

USA
16558 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife hated her job when she quit 8 years ago. I've not asked her to go back yet, a stay-at-home mom is more beneficial for me/us.

Happiness > additional wealth in some instances.

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50934 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one is allowed to treat me like that. Glad she is leaving. I wouldn't give them the courtesy of any notice. Just leave.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

mogley98
Advanced Member

USA
14337 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was with my previous employer for 20 years. Loyal all day every day.

They kept adding responsibility, and extra departments even after I said it was too much. They added money too, but I told them I didn't want the money or the added stress.

Finally I quit, best move I ever made. Started my own business and now I get to charge them every time they need something :)
Go to Top of Page

shilowar
Advanced Member

USA
36905 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  6:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife hates her job, but she likes to spend money and she can't have both. We all gotta make choices.
Go to Top of Page

Horse Plains Drifter
Advanced Member

Botswana
30849 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  08:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

No one is allowed to treat me like that. Glad she is leaving. I wouldn't give them the courtesy of any notice. Just leave.

Yep, that's me. Nobody gets even close to treating me like that.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad

CA #8....3%

Go to Top of Page

penguin
troll

466 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  10:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page