GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Oil change complications
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  2:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I went for my first car oil change in 55 years.
Iím too old to be climbing under the car anymore

This car wash advertised
FREE car wash with oil change.

When i got there they wanted to put synthetic oil in my 2017 Cadillac

I asked, do i ~(.)-(.)~like i was born yesterday.

I told them i wanted an oil filter and top off the remaining oil

The manger was called and i said Iím willing to pay 15.00 because I donít have any grease fitting and I checked under the hood and everything is alright

After hassling for 30 min, we agreed on 30.00 plus tax and no free car wash

I wonít be going back there again.

Cartoon News<<<< we do not lie

I have never changed oil just added oil and filter.
I have never ever had engine problems with some cars going over 100,000 miles

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
16150 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  2:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having only "SOME CARS" go over a hundred thousand miles is nothing to brag about, that's just poor

But then again I guess it would be a lot of miles if you never change the oil
Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  2:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The year was 1988 and a team of 5 went to Tampa Fla. to the Mid- Winter Nationals

We departed in a new conversion van from PA.
This guy stopped and got his oil changed twice before we hit Fla.

I asked him, if i could take that used oil back home with me.

He just ~(.)-(.) at me

Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
6132 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  3:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oil Change Addict,, yep, seen em' all.
Go to Top of Page

Cubslover
Advanced Member

USA
16558 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  4:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Having only "SOME CARS" go over a hundred thousand miles is nothing to brag about, that's just poor

But then again I guess it would be a lot of miles if you never change the oil

Today's cars aren't "broken in" until the 100k mark.

200k is nothing anymore.

I worked at a dealership way back when, we had a very poor lady who had an OLD Volvo 8 series wagon, it had 800k miles on it. Our shop and done the service on this car religiously for years.

One year before thanksgiving she needed an oil change and couldn't get in to the shop. She went to walmart, they cross threaded her drain plug and cracked her oil pan. A new pan was more expensive than her car altogether.

Sad.

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7514 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  4:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overchoice is everywhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
15875 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  4:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I could afford a new Cadillac, I wouldnít worry about oil changes, either.
Nice looking race guns, by the way.

But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

10536 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  4:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an employee who did the "change the filter and add a quart" program for many years. He ran Chevy 4.3 V-6 motors into the 1/4 million mile country. He wasn't using high quality oil, either and seldom even the same brand.
I heard the story of an older guy who bought a new 1960 Biscayne and after the first oil change only changed filter and added oil. After 25 years the old engine started making a funny noise. The mechanic pulled the drain plug and nothing came out so he shoved a screwdriver through the drain hole. Still nothing. He took the pan off and found the pan filled with clotted up crud except there the crank turned and a bit of space around the oil pump inlet.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

6133 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  8:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are burning a quart a week there is no point in changing it. Lol

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

mlincoln
Advanced Member

5077 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:57:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You hear those stories of draining the oil, filling it with kerosene or diesel, and then over the course of a week running it for 5 minutes a day and then letting it sit. I've heard that the sludge that comes out can be just astounding.

Can't believe people would not do relatively cheap routine maintenance on a very valuable piece of equipment.

Go to Top of Page

Cubslover
Advanced Member

USA
16558 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mlincoln

You hear those stories of draining the oil, filling it with kerosene or diesel, and then over the course of a week running it for 5 minutes a day and then letting it sit. I've heard that the sludge that comes out can be just astounding.

Can't believe people would not do relatively cheap routine maintenance on a very valuable piece of equipment.

Same with Seafoam. Add a can to your crankcase, run for 10-15 min, drain and change the oil. Change your oil the second time around at 1/2 the interval (a bit of residual seafoam).

"Half of the lies they tell about me aren't true"

Click here to put a bid on my Yugo monster.

"Some people are alive, only because it's illegal to kill them"
Go to Top of Page

Sperry
Advanced Member

5273 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  8:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I unscrew my oil filter LS small block 4.8 V8 will oil come pouring out?

Or just a little, and I can change the filter only and add about ĺ of a quart?

The oil in there smells fine, looks fine, feels fine. Lots of highway miles.

American Toolbox
Go to Top of Page

bpost
Advanced Member

Azerbaijan
37577 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  9:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
over 475,200 miles and at one time she went 80,000 with no oil change. The FS2500 bypass filter helps a lot. I run at least 20,000 now before changing oil.

I am a practicing Curmudgeon, someone that hates hypocrisy and pretense and has the temerity to say so.

Go to Top of Page

tommyjoe

USA
1340 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  08:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought a 2017 Suburu Outback recently. Went checking out everything under the hood and cant find the auto trans dipstick. Called the dealership service dept. They say it doesnt have one. The trans is sealed?????
Tom
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

26726 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  08:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cubslover

quote:
Originally posted by mlincoln

Same with Seafoam. Add a can to your crankcase, run for 10-15 min, drain and change the oil. Change your oil the second time around at 1/2 the interval (a bit of residual seafoam).

Seafoam makes a specific transmission flush.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Unglšubigen und Greulichen und Totschlšger und Hurer und Zauberer und AbgŲttischen und aller LŁgner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page

GUNFUNCO
Advanced Member

2655 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  11:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Highest mileage vehicle I ever personally saw, came into our dealership about 8 years ago.

It was an 2003 (I think) Chevy 2500 Cargo van with a 4.8 L V-8 with a 4 speed trans. It had 819000 miles and change. The guy was a cartage carrier and told me the engine or trans had never had any service done other than normal maintenance.

The man came in to purchase another with same engine. Said he had replaced a couple of starters/alternators but never anything in the internals of engine or trans. Did mostly highway driving and might be hauling anything from a 1 lb envelope to about a ton in the back of the vehicle. He also did regular oil changes but I honestly don't recall what interval he used. I think it may have been about 5000 miles but I'm not sure about that.

My boss wasn't sure what to appraise it at because there was nothing on the books with mileage that high so I think he just appraised it at $1000 because it was still running and driving good

Go to Top of Page

serf
Anti Gun Lib

6750 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  5:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

No zinc or phosphates in modern oil so if you have flat tappets in your old car or truck beware.

serf

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0803sr-modern-engine-oil/
Go to Top of Page

callktulu
Advanced Member

USA
3175 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  5:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tommyjoe

Bought a 2017 Suburu Outback recently. Went checking out everything under the hood and cant find the auto trans dipstick. Called the dealership service dept. They say it doesnt have one. The trans is sealed?????
Tom

My wife's 2009 F-150 is the same... No way to check/access the ATF.

Oddly enough, I have the same problem with my 2015 Subaru WRX w/6-speed manual transmission...

Romans 8:35-39

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans%208:35-39&version=NIV
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50934 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still trying to figure out why someone wouldn't want to run synthetic in a 2017 vehicle.

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
16150 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  6:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wallie... Have you ever tried to use muriatic acid in your crankcase to thin down your oil during the winter time?
Go to Top of Page

Krony

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  8:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by callktulu

quote:

Tom

Oddly enough, I have the same problem with my 2015 Subaru WRX w/6-speed manual transmission...

My wife's 2014 Nissan Pathfinder has a CVT trans with no dipstick. Personally I'd rather have a conventional auto.
Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  8:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

I'm still trying to figure out why someone wouldn't want to run synthetic in a 2017 vehicle.

It is very simple but if you have been living under a rock it will be hard to comprehend

Now read this slowly and move that rock a little further away from ur hole.

First- I hate appointments
Second- I buy a new car/van/truck every 100,000 miles
Third- then I sell my vehicle to some one like u telling them a little old lady drove this vehicle.

Edited by - wallie on 02/14/2018 8:10:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
16150 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  01:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wallie

quote:

It is very simple but if you have been living under a rock it will be hard to comprehend

Third- then I sell my vehicle to some one like u telling them a little old lady drove this vehicle.

Well I'm glad I live under a rock, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror living the way you do.

But at least you're telling the truth about all three reasons. Especially number three. Sounds like to me it was driven by a lady. A man with Integrity would never do such a thing

I have always wondered if you were a man or a woman, at least now we know that you're a woman
Go to Top of Page

Beeramid

USA
8464 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  03:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Tom

There is a dipstick, if you crawl under there is a steel cap on the passenger side of the transmission. Remove it with a 19mm wrench, and there is a yellow dipstick.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  11:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by remingtonoaks

quote:

quote:

Well I'm glad I live under a rock, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror living the way you do.

But at least you're telling the truth about all three reasons. Especially number three. Sounds like to me it was driven by a lady. A man with Integrity would never do such a thing

I have always wondered if you were a man or a woman, at least now we know that you're a woman

Letís check you out-Case 1234-5

1-Were u a bullie in school
YES

2-Are u a Veteran
NO

3-Do u carry a B-Stinger
YES

4-Will u respond to this test
YES

5-Do u lie
NO

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50934 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  11:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I see. So, it's a person with no integrity, who does not concern themselves with reliability, takes no pride in their personal possessions, and spends money frivolously. Got it.

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

G1
Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I see. So, it's a person with no integrity, who does not concern themselves with reliability, takes no pride in their personal possessions, and spends money frivolously. Got it.

Just as I thought

Case 1234-5 CLOSED
Case 1234-6 CLOSED

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50934 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just as I thought

Case 1234-5 CLOSED
Case 1234-6 CLOSED

You should know, too, those vehicles are easy to spot and I never buy them.

G1
Go to Top of Page

callktulu
Advanced Member

USA
3175 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  09:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang on a tick... I'm not understanding how you can just replace the filter and then "top off" the oil? I imagine you lose quite a bit from pulling the filter out and trying to get the new one in. Not to mention the mess it makes!

Why bother? It's not like oil is *that* expensive.

Go to Top of Page

NeoBlackdog
Advanced Member

USA
10361 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  09:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hang on a tick... I'm not understanding how you can just replace the filter and then "top off" the oil? I imagine you lose quite a bit from pulling the filter out and trying to get the new one in. Not to mention the mess it makes!

Why bother? It's not like oil is *that* expensive.

Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.
Go to Top of Page

RugerNiner
Advanced Member

12153 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  10:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.

Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  11:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geee! I got to teach u young one ones everything.

But Iíll try my best to enlighten u

First, I hate appointments

Oil change/hair cuts/dentist/ doctors// ///////etc.

Which brings me to my #1 barroom quiz

Wallie, what did u do for a living?

I work 24 hrís a day 365 days a yr. and Iím working right now.

Now, if i donít get the right answer, Iím not going to explain how oil runs up hill and how u step over a dollar to pickup a dime to buy a Cadillac.
Go to Top of Page

callktulu
Advanced Member

USA
3175 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  12:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Geee! I got to teach u young one ones everything.

But Iíll try my best to enlighten u

First, I hate appointments

Oil change/hair cuts/dentist/ doctors// ///////etc.

Which brings me to my #1 barroom quiz

Wallie, what did u do for a living?

I work 24 hrís a day 365 days a yr. and Iím working right now.

Now, if i donít get the right answer, Iím not going to explain how oil runs up hill and how u step over a dollar to pickup a dime to buy a Cadillac.

I guess I'm under a rock and too young to understand your cryptic enlightenment. Why can't you just deliver a straight answer?

Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  5:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - wallie on 02/17/2018 11:56:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

callktulu
Advanced Member

USA
3175 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  6:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never mind, you're not worth my time.

Go to Top of Page

callktulu
Advanced Member

USA
3175 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  10:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
However, I still don't understand how you replace a (usually hanging down) oil filter without losing most of your oil and making a terrible mess.

On a related note, I noticed my sons' Buick Rendezvous leaving some oil in the driveway. After jacking it up and crawling underneath, I'm 99% sure the leak was coming from the oil filter because it wasn't in tight enough. I was able to easily tighten it up by hand.

Guess who the idiot was who did the last oil change?

Go to Top of Page

wallie
Advanced Member

USA
8469 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  12:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

callktulu
Advanced Member

USA
3175 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  1:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, gotcha.

Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
30972 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  2:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tom

I read some of the new GM vehicles have a 'sealed auto transmission' too...I think it was cadillac
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page