GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Who has been to Portsmouth recently?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Don McManus
Advanced Member

USA
25304 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  3:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spending a golf week later this year in Scotland, and talked the wife into spending two days in Portsmouth.

Staying at the Royal Maritime Club, which is within walking distance to HMS Victory, HMS Warrior, Mary Rose, HMS M.33

Have any of you spent a day or two in Portsmouth?

Would hate to miss something interesting on what will probably be my last trip to the UK.

'Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.'
Brad Steele.

'The Constitution that was actually enacted and formally amended creates islands of government powers in a sea of liberty. The judicially redacted constitution creates islands of liberty rights in a sea of governmental powers.'
Randy E. Barnett

CA #3

Warbirds
Advanced Member

USA
13181 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  8:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would try to make your way into England and stay at Mond’s B&B. He will roll out the red carpet for you.

I can put you in touch if needed.

*updated for a critical “autocorrect” spelling error.

"I couldn't possibly care less. Im actually trying to care less and just can't get there." - Kevd18

Edited by - Warbirds on 02/13/2018 1:57:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Don McManus
Advanced Member

USA
25304 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This trip is limited, Warbirds.

If we do make another trip to the UK, there will be a couple of days at Farnborough. Have always been fascinated with the Lightning as a study in what brute force can do when mated with an airframe that can channel it.

If that day comes, I will take you up on your offer.

Thanks,

Don

'Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.'
Brad Steele.

'The Constitution that was actually enacted and formally amended creates islands of government powers in a sea of liberty. The judicially redacted constitution creates islands of liberty rights in a sea of governmental powers.'
Randy E. Barnett

CA #3

Go to Top of Page

bpost
Advanced Member

Azerbaijan
37153 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  9:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We flew to Portsmouth Ohio (KPMH) for dinner a few days ago, does that count?

I am a practicing Curmudgeon, someone that hates hypocrisy and pretense and has the temerity to say so.

Go to Top of Page

Wild Bill Kelso

69 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  9:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don,

What an amazing coincidence that you ask about Portsmouth (England).

My wife and I are planning a trip to England in the May-June time frame, one of the places I wanted to visit is Portsmouth - HMS Victory and all.

Tonight I shot a round of skeet with my English friend, and mentioned my thought and he (former Royal Navy) down played going to Portsmouth. He said he spent three months there while in the Navy and phrased it "you can go there if you want." But wouldn't recommend it.

He said London is much better, and the air show in Duxbridge (?) is well worth while - but costs $60.
Go to Top of Page

lew07

918 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  1:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don , The Victory is well worth a visit as is The Mary Rose.One of the only examples of an early purpose built warship.I see you only have a couple of days but the Royal armouries at Fort Nelson are worth a visit.They let rip with a Great War Howitzer at 13.00 hour. Be careful when You come out the pub after dark.The Royal Navy still use press gangs when their short staffed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page