GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Are You A Gun Snob
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
11518 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  9:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of guns more than some not as much as others. I am above average number i would say.

However my guns are middle ground not really expensive. I have a lot of 300 to 600 dollar guns. Only about 15 are over 800 dollars.

The most expensive gun i have is either a Winchester 1890 22lr or a Winchester 94 made around 1904. The other expensive gun i have is a Benelli Super Black Hawk Camo in 12 ga.

Other than a few more everything is just average. I do not have a gun that i do not shoot.

I lied i have a 12 gauge Damascus Double barrel shotgun that i have never shot. Im scared to shoot it. I have some paper shells but im saving them.

Idahobound
Advanced Member

USA
8648 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  10:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you might have the wrong bird for that Benelli
Go to Top of Page

Dads3040
Advanced Member

USA
13685 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  11:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone who has ever seen Elk Slayer, knows the answer is: Nope.

3 shots you can cover with a dime. Shoot elk 1 time. Elk dies. Every time.

Elk Slayer not pretty. Don't care.

The Object in Life is not to be with the Majority, but Rather to Avoid finding Oneself in the Ranks of the Insane. Marcus Aurelius
Go to Top of Page

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
13748 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Idahobound

I think you might have the wrong bird for that Benelli

Must be an Eagle. I have one in left hand. One of my most used guns. I have quite a few guns I have never shot. Many are cased commemoratives. Some are there to fill gaps in my Smith or Colt collections.

Many guns I have are multiples of guns I already have but with different barrel lengths or different finishes.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"

Edited by - Laredo Lefty on 02/13/2018 12:24:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
46496 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is having expensive guns what makes you a snob? Expensive to me is maybe $12,500 and up.

I have a number of guns over $1000, but most are USGI in fine condition, along with a few others of the WWII era also in fine condition.

Mostly I have Smiths, Colts, and plenty of Rugers.

~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets Founding Member ~
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
17641 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with He Dog, you got to get into the five figures before you start looking at a expensive gun.

I have some cheaper guns, and then I have some guns that are in the 7 to $8,000 range, but I don't think could of any of them as snob gun. They're just designed to do different things, and the more expensive ones that I use to shoot out to the one mile marker cost a lot more because it costs a lot more to build them. But that's what it takes to get out to the mile marker accurately

But all my guns I bought for function not fashion. Even though some have the price tag of fashion, I sure as heck wouldn't call them a snobby gun

I even have 10/22 that I'm into about $800 for the rifle, and another $1,500 for the scope. But I can also shoot accurately out 800 yards with it depending on how windy it is

Edited by - remingtonoaks on 02/13/2018 12:55:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Idahobound
Advanced Member

USA
8648 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am more of an optic snob
Go to Top of Page

gjshaw
Advanced Member

9384 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  01:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with He Dog as well. I only have one gun that is over 10,000 and quite a few from 1000 to 5000 and that doesnít make me a gun snob. I donít really know what makes a gun snob but I believe some on this forum are candidates for it.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Go to Top of Page

iceracerx
Advanced Member

USA
8782 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  01:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems there are plenty of opportunities to be a 'gun snob'. I'm a Colt M1911A1 or WW2 M1911A1 'snob'. I'm also an Armilite and/or Colt AR 15 snob, Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger and Dan Wesson revolver 'snob'. How about Anschutz 22lr match rifles? Yep, 'snob'.

When I see pics of plastic 'wonder 9s' and '40's and want to regurgitate, I know I'm a 'snob'. When someone posts about their prized Keltec, Taurus or $800 10/22, it's further reassurance that I'm a 'snob'.

As always, YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

yoshmyster
Advanced Member

17152 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  04:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a snob. But I know what I like and will buy.
Go to Top of Page

dav1965
Advanced Member

USA
11518 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL its a Eagle i had a blonde moment. It is by far the best shotgun i have ever shot.

I dont have any really great guns that would make you say wow. If i was still working i think it would be different.
Go to Top of Page

droptop
Advanced Member

USA
6959 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A better question might be: Do you know a gun snob? Don't think I've heard of such a person.

Snob:
a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.

Think gun and snob don't go together very well and don't hear the word snob used much,, maybe Libtards use the word snobs? or maybe you added the "n"?

More than likely there are "snobs" who happen to own guns.
Go to Top of Page

wpageabc
Advanced Member

USA
7767 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like wine snobs. It all depends on what matters to a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Go to Top of Page

47studebaker

USA
2058 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a cheap gun snob, all my guns are blue and wood except for a TC Encore ML in stainless. Most expensive is a 70's Colt Sauer in 7mm Mag that I bought for $800 with some dents and dings.
Go to Top of Page

cowboy77845

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might be a Colt 1911 snob. I believe if it is not a Colt, its only a pale imitation.
Go to Top of Page

truthful

411 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being a gun snob has nothing to do with how many you own or their value. It is solely someone who professes to be the world's leading expert on a specific category of gun and continually puts down others who dare to call his bluff.
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
4945 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  1:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really not sure if I am one of those but I do own a certain rifle that requires me to hold my left pinky finger up in the air when I shoot it.

I call it my Emily Post rifle, after a certain episode of the Three Stooges.
Go to Top of Page

Locust Fork

USA
29508 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  1:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have dealt with so many variants with gun owners that its hard to imagine that there is a scenario I haven't seen. Ultra expensive firearms, the cheapest garbage you've ever seen....to me there is a place for just about everything. If you have a ton of money and can have the best of the best....great! If you are swimming in debt and need "something" that will get the job done a $60 ugly as sin chunk of a revolver will fit the bill.

You can demand excellence all day every day and I will support you wholeheartedly......but a person who makes the inexpensive gun owner feel bad about his firearm is more than just a gun snob.

Click here to check out my auctions?..I double dog dare you to!!!

Go to Top of Page

mogley98
Advanced Member

USA
15014 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if owning Taurus, Rossi, and Hi-point makes me a Snob so be it :)
Go to Top of Page

Don McManus
Advanced Member

USA
26089 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  3:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, the price one pays for a firearm has nothing to do with being a gun snob.

If, however, you look down your nose at a firearm someone is using because of perceived value, you are a gun snob.

I happen to not like AKs. I happen to not like Glocks.

I happen to like a lot of people who shoot AKs and Glocks. If they enjoy them, I enjoy the fact that they enjoy them, though I wouldn't take either if even someone tried to give it to me.

'Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.'
Brad Steele.

'The Constitution that was actually enacted and formally amended creates islands of government powers in a sea of liberty. The judicially redacted constitution creates islands of liberty rights in a sea of governmental powers.'
Randy E. Barnett

CA #3

Go to Top of Page

wundudnee
Advanced Member

6223 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  5:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you would happen to be a gun snob in order to teach yourself humility you just need to attend the Tulsa gun show. There are forty feet of tables where the cheap ones on the table start at $10,000.00 and go up exponentially from there.

I really like what I have, but I realize I'm low rent compared to the big boys.

Quote from okkim ...
Make a mental note "do not get upset with dumbasses"

Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55751 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  5:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No
Go to Top of Page

mjrfd99
Advanced Member

USA
3399 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  06:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No but prefer wood and steel.
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

35521 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  3:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have one gun that only 375 were said to have been made...do u know what it is ?? aside from this, quoth the RAVEN "Nevermore"
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
8353 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  4:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had aspirations of attaining the status of gun snob

The problem is that where guns are concerned I have been unable to "just say no" when an opportunity presents itself

It's not a total failure as I have remained pure and am glock free

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

22188 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  4:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a tad. I have plenty of inexpensive shooters and knock around guns. I have a few that are valuable but I shoot everything I own.

I do tend to prefer the genuine item to a clone. Most of my 1911s are genuine Colts. So is my AR 15. The FAL is an FN made in Belgium and my HK 91 is the real deal. All of my SAAs are genuine Colts as well.

But I have owned Taurus revolvers and other medium priced guns.

Go to Top of Page

Krony

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  8:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc

Just a tad. I have plenty of inexpensive shooters and knock around guns. I have a few that are valuable but I shoot everything I own.

Similar here. Most of mine are 300-400 range. I stay with only USA made firearms, guess that could be snobbish. Have owned a couple of Rossi's (lever 357 and 38 snubbie) but have since sold them.

If I don't shoot it within a year or two it is usually put on {elsewhere}.
Go to Top of Page

TrinityScrimshaw
Advanced Member

USA
9242 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  9:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only when it comes to Glocks...

But, I am changing. I just developed a pattern for a Glock holster...

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7346 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  9:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If you want to be a shotgun snob, hold your pinky finger straight out while drinking your beer".
Kurt Sellers, aka bigdaddyjunior

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

KX500

601 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  09:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, by reading the other posts, I'd say I barely even qualify as a gun owner, let alone gun snob. I'm sure I could use a few more guns, but have enough of them now to not have an accurate count. I can't think of any that I gave more than $600 for. I have a couple Savage Muzzleoaders that are worth more than that, but that is about it. So for me, any gun beyond $600 or so is Expensive. I'm probably more of a cheap skate than gun snob.
Go to Top of Page

Warbirds
Advanced Member

USA
13609 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  09:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a reloading snob and gun whore.

"I couldn't possibly care less. Im actually trying to care less and just can't get there." - Kevd18
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
46496 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  10:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Doc, owning a Taurus negates any Snob status you might have otherwise earned.

Though the revolvers can be solid.

I wanted a Raging Bee, until I looked at the price of .218 Bee.

Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
10233 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  12:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

Sorry Doc, owning a Taurus negates any Snob status you might have otherwise earned.

Though the revolvers can be solid.

I wanted a Raging Bee, until I looked at the price of .218 Bee.

C'mon Dale, admit that you're a "too exotic a caliber to reload" snob.

I used to be a Smiff Snob, but then I realized that I have TWO of 'em! 35 S&W anyone?

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Italy
46496 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  2:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I just don't have time or space for one more hobby.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page