GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Help Requested: Identify This Mysterious Shotgun!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SkyWatcher

USA
1485 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  11:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother-in-law asked me to help her identify a shotgun she has in her possession. It was inherited from an uncle who died in 1986. She has no clue how old it is, but family lore has it that this uncle built guns WAY back in the day. I don't know if this is a manufactured weapon or a hand-built weapon. There are no manufacturer markings of any type.

It's a bolt action, magazine fed shotgun. Gauge unknown, but interior diameter of the bore is approximately 11/16" ... so it's something like a 14 or 15 gauge? The family immigrated from Italy, so it's possible this was manufactured or built overseas.

Here is a link to photos of the weapon:

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

Edited by - SkyWatcher on 02/13/2018 12:10:57 PM

35 Whelen
Advanced Member

USA
13642 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a Mossberg to me, but not entirely sure what model. 85B, maybe?

Edited by - 35 Whelen on 02/13/2018 12:06:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

SkyWatcher

USA
1485 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a look at a few photos, it does look like a Mossberg 85B. But shouldn't there be a manufacturer marking/stamp/number somewhere? There is nothing at all on the weapon and no indication that any markings were removed.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
5072 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats close to a 16 gauge but would need better measurements to be sure. A 16 is 16.8 millimeters or .055 inches,,thats close to 11/16 on a tape measure. I would guess a model 190 mossberg.
Go to Top of Page

EVILDR235
Advanced Member

4032 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once had a German Remo bolt action shotgun. The bolt was about as round as a quarter. It held two rounds in 12 gauge.

?

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Go to Top of Page

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
15192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  01:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There should have a serial number and a manufacturer and model number on it, have you took off the stock and checked the underside to see if there's any markings that are covered up be the stock?

It is unusual that they put it on the underside so that the stock covers it up, but I have seen it done

Another thought would be that it might be a custom-made gun that nobody wanted the markings on it... There are gunsmiths that will do that for the right price

Edited by - remingtonoaks on 02/13/2018 01:10:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55296 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  01:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.6875 11/16 would be a 14 gauge.

https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/scales/shotguns.html

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/746450098

Edited by - select-fire on 02/13/2018 01:53:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15764 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  02:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
POSSIBLE Mossberg 195K-A. Many shotguns (including Mossbergs) were not serially numbered until the 1968 Gun Control Act required it. Makers name was on barrel, could have been wiped out in refinishing metal.

Gauge cannot be determined with a ruler- have a gunsmith use a bore gauge on it.

FWIW- the Mossberg bolt action shotguns were not sexy, but they were durable, reliable, and inexpensive. They were the gun of the working stiff- farmer, mechanic, storekeeper, young shooters. They kept many a family fed in hard times, and will pop a bunny or a dove just as well as a $2000 shotgun- they just don't look as pretty while doing it.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7065 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  03:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.6875 measured at the muzzle would be an Extra Full choke on a 12ga.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

26303 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  08:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SkyWatcher

My mother-in-law asked me to help her identify a shotgun she has in her possession. It was inherited from an uncle who died in 1986. She has no clue how old it is, but family lore has it that this uncle built guns WAY back in the day. I don't know if this is a manufactured weapon or a hand-built weapon. There are no manufacturer markings of any type.

It's a bolt action, magazine fed shotgun. Gauge unknown, but interior diameter of the bore is approximately 11/16" ... so it's something like a 14 or 15 gauge? The family immigrated from Italy, so it's possible this was manufactured or built overseas.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o5Ai8c8qqff5fkyt2

Will a dime pass through the bore of barrel ?

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Edited by - Barzillia on 02/13/2018 08:56:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55296 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  09:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAP55

True but I highly doubt it has screw in chokes. Not seen any shotguns non screw in with that dia.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Perfect
Advanced Member

50200 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there a link?

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." -Jesus

"Also he [David] bade them teach the children of Judah [the use of] the bow" -Samuel

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

G1
Go to Top of Page

tazzer
Advanced Member

USA
8022 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Was there a link?

I was wondering the same thing

We have room for but one flag, the American flag...
Go to Top of Page

Brookwood
Advanced Member

USA
3540 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  1:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is an Oscar Meyer wiener mobile.
Go to Top of Page

TRAP55
Advanced Member

USA
7065 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  3:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by select-fire

quote:
Originally posted by TRAP55

True but I highly doubt it has screw in chokes. Not seen any shotguns non screw in with that dia.

Fixed chokes will vary quite a bit between manufacturers. Older guns tend to have tighter chokes if they haven't been blown out over the years. Mossberg and Marlin both had some pretty tight chokes on their single shots and bolt guns. What was marked FULL then, is an Extra Full now.
There was a link to the pics, I was looking at them last night. SkyWatcher, Check the barrel near the receiver for any markings, especially under the wood. If the uncle didn't build it with a barrel blank, it will have proof marks at the very least.

"Aim small, Miss small"
www.mausercentral.net
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55296 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He had link..it is gone.
Go to Top of Page

diver-rig
Advanced Member

USA
5010 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  6:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

He had link..it is gone.

Did you read the whole thread?

Barzillia Posted - 02/13/2018 : 08:40:04 AM
quote:

Go to Top of Page

diver-rig
Advanced Member

USA
5010 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  6:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading comprehension 101
Go to Top of Page

Ambrose

2370 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  7:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That plastic finger-groove trigger guard screams "Mossberg"! I have several heirlooms like that.

Edited by - Ambrose on 02/13/2018 7:17:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

MFI
Advanced Member

7018 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  9:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MOSSBERG !

Proud owner of Marino Firearms Inc. Hancock, NY. Cancer survivor.. Now entering our 95th year in family business !http://GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=37494

https://www.facebook.com/Marinos-Outdoor-World-103268856414614/

GunBroker MEMBER SINCE 1999 !!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

notnow

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  10:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marsberglin!
Go to Top of Page

Barzillia
Advanced Member

26303 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  08:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diver-rig

quote:

He had link..it is gone.

Did you read the whole thread?

Barzillia Posted - 02/13/2018 : 08:40:04 AM
quote:

I was concerned with the accuracy/precision of the measurement provided, and gave a pretty sure means of assessing a pretty well unknown value.

Dime won't chamber ?

Not 12 ga.

Dime passes through ?

At least 12 ga, open choke.

Dime chambers, passes nearly through the barrel but stops an inch or so before the muzzle ?

12 ga, , choke unknown.

Thanks for dropping by.

"Most people fancy themselves innocent of those crimes of which they cannot be convicted." Seneca

"Hope has two children: anger, and courage." Augustine, Confessions

Der Verzagten aber und Ungläubigen und Greulichen und Totschläger und Hurer und Zauberer und Abgöttischen und aller Lügner, deren Teil wird sein in dem Pfuhl, der mit Feuer und Schwefel brennt; das ist der andere Tod.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page