GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Strange .22 caliber cartridge.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
30192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Digging thru a box of old rifle and shotgun shells, found 6 .22 cartridges, .22 shorts.

The bullet is lead but the case is copper colored. There is no head stamp.

I've never seen any like that before so wondering, has anyone else?

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968

Smitty500mag
Advanced Member

USA
9840 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a guess, it's probably a black powder .22 cartridge made by Union Metallic Cartridge (UMC) which later became Peters.

Go to Top of Page

us55840
Advanced Member

USA
30192 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  2:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smitty500mag

Just a guess, it's probably a black powder .22 cartridge made by Union Metallic Cartridge (UMC) which later became Peters.

Interesting .. didn't know there was a black powder .22 cartridge.

The government has no rights. Only the PEOPLE have rights that empower the government.

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
Abraham Lincoln

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It is they way it is. The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference.

All comments posted here are my opinion as expressed via the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.

United States Army ~ USARSUPTHAI 1967-1968
Go to Top of Page

navc130

547 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  3:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The .22 Short was introduced in 1857 for the S&W Revolver. The .22 Long introduced in 1871. Both were black powder cartridges.
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Cancer Fighter

USA
7432 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  3:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rollin white is credited for developing the bored through revolver cylinder for use with the self contained one piece copper cased rimfire ignition soft lead projectile black powder cartridge.

He was working for Colt at the time whom turned down - passed on the patent concept

White began manufacturing his own pistols in Lowell Massachusetts

Smith and Wesson took notice of the guns and the ammo and brought white on board - with a generous compensatory package - the catch being that white would be obligated to defend the patent and any clone like infringement brought to market

Thus began the patent infringement wars.

I have a pair of revolvers marked Rollin white with the Lowell Massachusetts addy and one transitional model with white and s&w as well as one that has S&W markings exclusively.

I have fired all of these variants.

It's a fascinating story - the patent infringement war and attempts to circumvent the law and the designs

Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens is purported to have owned and used one of these revolvers in his river boat days.

Mike

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.

Nothing gold can stay. Nature's first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs flower. But only so an hour. Than leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank to grief. So dawn goes down today. Nothing gold can stay. (Robert Frost)
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11837 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might also be an old CB cap.
Go to Top of Page

SCOUT5
Advanced Member

11837 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put one in an old single shot and see if it fires.
Go to Top of Page

Rocky Raab
Advanced Member

USA
8061 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CB Cap was my first thought, also. Used to shoot grundles of them when I was a kid. They used a heavier than usual amount of priming, but no other powder. A bit more powerful than my Benjamin pump-up .22 airgun, but not much louder. Nice little pest loading, actually.
Go to Top of Page

dakotashooter2
Advanced Member

5907 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  4:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gallery cartridges ???????

For those who believe Obama is the Messiah remember, prophecy tells use the antichrist will proceed the TRUE Messiah.
Go to Top of Page

Rocky Raab
Advanced Member

USA
8061 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  5:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also a good guess. Gallery rounds and CB caps were very similar.

There was an even smaller/shorter one called the BB Cap. It used a round lead ball and a tiny priming charge. Possibly used in gallery rifles as well. I wish I had kept a few samples of each from back then, but a kid being a kid, I shot them all up.
Go to Top of Page

35 Whelen
Advanced Member

USA
13642 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  5:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have a round or two similar to what you're talking about, us55840, only mine are headstamped either U or H. Sounds close, anyway; copper case and lead bullet.
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

55296 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  5:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BB or CB cap
Go to Top of Page

fideau
Advanced Member

USA
11830 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  8:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flobert. ?

Jim

"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."
Go to Top of Page

EVILDR235
Advanced Member

4032 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Spenser 56 caliber rimfire cartridge a friend gave me for my collection. It also has a copper case. He also has the rifle and a almost full box of cartridges.

EvilDr235

Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
15764 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My collection has copper cased specimens of 22 BB cap, CB cap, short long and extra long. 22 rimfires started in black powder, changed to "brown powder" (Branded as Lesmoke) and finally to the current high velocity brass cased. There are 22 rounds that have iron bullets, copper bullets, plastic bullets, wadcutters, spitzers, tracers, shot loads.

You can have a really impressive cartridge collection with nothing in it but 22 rimfires.

"Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page