GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Colt .38 Police Positive with Mexican Eagle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

martys3860
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  9:41:07 PM  Show Profile
Need some help with ID....recently acquire Colt .38 Police Positive ( # 174993, probably 1927 year production). This revolver has Mexican Eagle on a grip cap instead of regular Colt pony sign. Seems like factory production. I know that Colt supply Mexican Police force so could it be Mexican Police Order or just some Pequano Model made with parts? Or maybe somebody just replaced a grip cap? Could not find much info on internet.. Thanks in advance! Martyn S.

S.M.

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17951 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  11:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Your post isn't clear? Does your revolver have the Colt pony on the side plate, similar to this one?

I have seen grips with Mexican Eagles, many times over the years. Don't recall ever seeing one, mounted on a separate grip cap. Anything is possible, from something that has come up. From south of the Rio Grande though.

Go to Top of Page

martys3860
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  04:49:20 AM  Show Profile
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/martys3860/IMG_4427_zpsjbaqeoif.jpg
It does have Colt pony on side plate. Sorry I have trouble inserting picture - check link above... S.M.

quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

Your post isn't clear? Does your revolver have the Colt pony on the side plate, similar to this one?

I have seen grips with Mexican Eagles, many times over the years. Don't recall ever seeing one, mounted on a separate grip cap. Anything is possible, from something that has come up. From south of the Rio Grande though.

S.M.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

15633 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  07:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Ah, that photo is a big help.

You have a well-used 90+ year old pistol, but the stock shown has nearly perfect diamonds; the original stocks would be worn smooth, if not broken. The excellent condition of the stocks indicate a recent commercial replacement.

Yes, they are factory, but not the Colt factory. You could probably get your choice of emblem inserts.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17951 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  08:45:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nmyers

You have a well-used 90+ year old pistol, but the stock shown has nearly perfect diamonds; the original stocks would be worn smooth, if not broken. The excellent condition of the stocks indicate a recent commercial replacement.

Yes, they are factory, but not the Colt factory. You could probably get your choice of emblem inserts.

Neal

+1,

Agree, recent production. I'm sure with a GOOGLE search, you could find similar ones for sale on the net.

Go to Top of Page

JohnStimson

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  11:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Looks like a Franzite eagle logo.

John Stimson, Jr.
www.histandard.info
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17951 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  12:01:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JohnStimson

John nailed it! They are Franzites,I believe? Below photo shows Franzite's logo, on a pair of plastic grips. The Mexican Eagle, on the other hand. From their coat of arms, has a snake in it's mouth.

The original Franzite plastic grips, want out of production in the 60's. Not sure if the wooden grips, on the OP's Colt. Are that old, or not? Don't recall at this time. If the original Franzite company, also made wooden grips?

Go to Top of Page

tommyjoe

USA
1337 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  6:10:11 PM  Show Profile
SILE also used a spread eagle on their inserts.
Tom
Go to Top of Page

Bill DeShivs

USA
1257 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  7:02:51 PM  Show Profile
That's an escutcheon, not a grip cap. Totally different things!

Bill DeShivs
Go to Top of Page

martys3860
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  8:21:32 PM  Show Profile
Good point! Thanks a lot! I will see if I can find similar emblem inserts on web... Martyn.

quote:

Neal

S.M.
Go to Top of Page

martys3860
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  8:23:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Neal

+1,

Agree, recent production. I'm sure with a GOOGLE search, you could find similar ones for sale on the net.

I actually could not find much on GOOGLE search - but I am agree it could be just custom grip - I just never seen like this before. I guess I will keep looking. S.M.

S.M.
Go to Top of Page

martys3860
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  8:25:24 PM  Show Profile
It looks similar but better than in a pictures. I am not familiar with Franzites - I will check it out! Thanks a lot for your help! S.M.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JohnStimson

John nailed it! They are Franzites,I believe? Below photo shows Franzite's logo, on a pair of plastic grips. The Mexican Eagle, on the other hand. From their coat of arms, has a snake in it's mouth.

The original Franzite plastic grips, want out of production in the 60's. Not sure if the wooden grips, on the OP's Colt. Are that old, or not? Don't recall at this time. If the original Franzite company, also made wooden grips?

S.M.
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

USA
28902 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2018 :  9:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Since you are a new member, and to clear up any possible issues before they start, this forum has a ten post limit. If you wish to continue the discussion on this subject, please start a new thread.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page