GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Help with used Remington 870
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Big Red One
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  12:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all. I bought a well used Remington 870 at a gun show. The slide action was a slick as glass. It cycled very smoothly and almost effortlessly. Then I disassembled it and thoroughly cleaned it. It was filthy. Now the action is tight, almost binding. I lubed everything adequately but not profusely. It still cycles normally but it requires much more effort. Did I do something wrong? Under lubricated? Why does it feel remarkably different than before? I have disassembled and reassembled it several times to ensure all parts are where they need to be. Everything looks good to me.
Thanks for any comments.

Trevor K Summers

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24776 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  1:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You probably put something together wrong. Take it back down to as far as you originally did and put it back together while looking at each part and visualizing what it does and how it functions.

Putting the trigger guard assembly is where most people screw up.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

11912 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  2:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Action bars not quite right, as above, I have taken some down 3-4 times before I realized where my mess up was.
Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

7628 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  3:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grasshopper

Action bars not quite right, as above, I have taken some down 3-4 times before I realized where my mess up was.

+1 sometimes you almost need 3 hands to keep them in place. easy mistake
Go to Top of Page

pip5255
Advanced Member

USA
7505 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see above you missed something...................

tired not retired !
Go to Top of Page

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
13550 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  11:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure the action bars are snug in the forend. There is a special wrench for it that I believe is available from Brownells.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"
Go to Top of Page

navc130

568 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2018 :  10:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the NRA Firearms Assembly book. The numbers are the pictured part - Assemble slide to action bars (28) and (29), together with breech bolt assembly. Assemble fore-end tube (30) over magazine tube and insert rear end of action bars (with slide and breech bolt assembly on them)into receiver grooves A and B. Move assembly gently rearward until it contacts the right end of the right shell latch (34). Press in on right shell latch to clear action bar and slide fore-end gently rearward again until it contacts the left shell latch (33). Press in left shell latch and push fore-end rearward until it is stopped by the action bar lock (56).
The trigger group: Lift rear end of trigger plate from receiver (A). Then, slide unit rearward (B), turning it clockwise to clear action bar lock (56). When reassembling trigger plate assembly, rear end of action bar lock must go below end of left connector (46) for gun to function properly.
The GUN DIGEST DISASSEMBLY / ASSEMBLY - SHOTGUNS has excellent photographs of the procedures.

Edited by - navc130 on 04/07/2018 5:46:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5557 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  3:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look on youtube while you still can for a good vid on the full take down - reassembly of the 870. Watch it several times and look at a schematic while paused at each step. While you have it down examine every part for fresh marks where something is rubbing/dragging.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page