GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 CMP 22 ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

otter6412

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  9:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CMP is advertising "Eley" 22 LR in bulk packs for sale, about 7 cents a round. Has anyone tried this stuff? I have some finicky semi-autos which may not like it.

Thanks for any info.

-

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17950 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  10:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During the Obama ammo famine. I bought any .22 ammo, I could get my hands on. Some of it, was "White Box", that I believe was from CMP? It shot OK. Didn't crono it, But subjectively it seemed to be the same as standard velocity ammo. That crono's around 900 FPS.

Most semi-autos, work fine with this standard velocity ammo. Although
i have run across some guns, that choke on it. And require high velocity 1000+ FPS .22's to function reliability.

Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5557 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  11:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I no longer buy bulk pack 22 ammo. It will work (feed and maybe even shoot fine in single shots, revolvers and perhaps even lever, pumps but autoloader's are another issue. I like CCI mini-mags and their CB Longs.

I still have bulked pack crap 22 ammo from Remington Federal American Eagle Winchester from the early 2000's and even before. Even when it was fresh it was bang, bang, plip, dud.

I took all my 22's out and tried some of every brand and type of ammo I could get. CCI's did the best hands down. I did need to polish the chamber in my 121 Remington pump to make it easy to extract. But the autoloaders all cycled fine with out FTF. Every round sounded the same and there were no duds.
Go to Top of Page

mjrfd99
Advanced Member

USA
2701 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  05:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have most brands on the shelf. We shoot a lot of .22. The only name brand that I've encountered a FTF or light loads has been Rem. golden bullet bulk packs. IMHO -powder charge incosistent.
Win, CCI, Federal, Armscore -all fire fine.
I do use Eley when tack driving. Fine .22
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

10492 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  05:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shot "military issue"22lr back in 1970. It was standard velocity and was pretty accurate in our match rifles. Most of what we used for practice ammo was 3-5 years old with the fresh stuff reserved for competition. A few years back, I received a case from CMP that was a couple of decades old and found it OK but not match grade by any stretch.
After the ammo famine, CMP may have some fresher hand-me-down ammo these days. If your score on the board or your reputation isn't at stake(logically you wouldn't be shooting stale ammo if either was), the CMP is good enough.

Mobuck<BR>
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

17417 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  07:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that after the 22lr Famine it looked like all brands of 22lr standard velocity became lacking in QC but along with this also problems in the type of handling AMMO was going through. I had shooters at our weekly matches save any rounds that had MISSFIRE
over 90 % of these failures had primers that were broken up and into the powder if one pulled the bullet out of the case I think ammo is being dropped in shipping breaking the priming and leaving voids in the primer where it should be in 360 degrees of the rim if you have miss fire carefully remove the bullet then pour the powder into your hand ans see if you have light green flakes" the priming compound mixed into the powder
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

USA
19740 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is typical shelf life of 22 ammo these days?
Go to Top of Page

kidthatsirish
Advanced Member

USA
6282 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  08:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 22 ammo about 25 years old that still works just fine.

I find that Remington golden bullets (not the thunder duds) along with federal automatch, and cci minimags really do well in the auto loaders.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have been told that ELEY is the stuff our Olympic athletes use...of course we did pretty poorly in the biathlon this year so...you be the judge.

“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return". -- Leonardo DaVinci 1452-1519

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Edited by - kidthatsirish on 04/21/2018 08:55:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

geeguy

USA
963 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  4:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many Bullseye shooters using it, works well in pistols. A little lighter then CCI Std.

As long as your rifles will use Std Vel. you should be fine. Some of my semi's won't shoot Std Vel, but most will.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page