GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Stevens 410 Double
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fugawe

1405 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 20 years ago I was given a Stevens double barrel .410 with a non-correct buttstock and barrels that appeared to have been painted gold. It didn't always cock one side on opening. Recently I pulled it out to see why and discovered that it wasn't a 311 like I assumed. It has no model number but the frame, barrels, forestock, forestock mounting piece and opening lever are all serial numbered and matching. What I thought was gold paint turned out to be yellowed varnish. It doesn't have internal hammers but linear spring driven strikers. Left side of the frame has STEVENS on it. The right side has J. STEVENS A---Y, the letters in between aren't there. The spacing between the A and Y look right for J STEVENS ARMS COMPANY, not J STEVENS ARMS AND TOOL COMPANY. This should put it in the 1920-1940 range. The barrels only have 410 GAUGE on them. The barrels are 23 1/2". Can anyone shed some light on what model this is?

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman to hear him.....is he still wrong?

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

17950 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The replaced butt stock, might be the giveaway? In the late 30's Stevens/Savage brought out a line of guns, with Tenite plastic stocks and forends. Because the Tenite plastic wasn't durable, and didn't stand up to abuse like wood. Production stopped in the early 50's.

To make a long story short. The Tenite 410 double was known as the Stevens Model 530M. It is probably one of the least common of the Stevens Tenite guns. Because production was nonexistent during W W II. My WAG is that your shotgun, is a Model 530M sans Tenite stok and forend.

Go to Top of Page

charliemeyer007
Advanced Member

USA
5557 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  3:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You really need to post some pic's if you want to identify it. Or you could look threw all the savage stevens stuff at gun parts, the one ones with schematic's are the most helpful.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/shotguns-sav

Back in the day, when people actually fixed things; old cheap broken stuff was repaired or made functional by cobbling parts. Sometimes it was used to train Bubba to do better work.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page