GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 I tilled the garden today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam06
Advanced Member

12734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  2:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to plant my Vegies on Friday.

The weather has been crazy cold here but I think the freezes are over.

Anyone else putting in the garden this weekend?

I usually put it in good friday and the Easter weekend but it was freezing.

I will say the tiller kicks my ass more every year

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.

ChrisStreett

USA
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  3:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing safely goes in the ground here 'til around 5/15. Before that it can be a crap shoot.

"...dying ain't much of a living boy..." Josey Wales

Edited by - ChrisStreett on 04/12/2018 3:03:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

12061 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit of blowing snow and 30 mph winds here in Boise.

Your mileage may vary.
“Every time a system is made foolproof - a new class of fool emerges.”
Prod Harris

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."

"Profanity is the linguistics of the inarticulate."

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

In a follow-up story, local police are considering charging Mr. Lapointe with felony stupid. The usual additional charge of Ignorant in a Smart Zone will not be applied, due to the rural location of the incident, according to a police spokesman.

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and Always win." Clint Smith

I come from a State that raises corn and cotton and cock-leburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me.
- Willard D. Vandiver

The burden of proof lies on the plaintiff.
- Legal maxim
"The trouble with Communism is that eventually you run out of other people's money?"
Margaret Thatcher 1976

To what level of stupidity do you want to address?

"This democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
~Ayn Rand, from her book Atlas Shrugged
Go to Top of Page

hillbille
Advanced Member

7628 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  3:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
scatter some fertilizer, powdered or manure and till it in, in a week or so you know you will be safe then and the fertilizer should be absorbed more throughout then till again.....

Edited by - hillbille on 04/12/2018 3:06:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24776 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  3:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put my tomatoes in on 22 Feb.
They are about two foot with blooms

Peppers in about a week later. Different varieties, Green, Red, Yellow.
One to two foot each with blooms.

We've had some 44 degree nights, but a early Spring. The bees reappeared last year after missing for five years, so it should be a good year.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
7062 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by p3skyking

The bees reappeared last year after missing for five years, so it should be a good year.

That's ^^^^^^ the key to success, I've never have understood why people use bumble-bee traps, bumble-bees pollinate too
Go to Top of Page

theranger1

USA
971 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  4:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam06

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
- John Wayne
Go to Top of Page

theranger1

USA
971 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  4:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam06

How about planting on Friday 13th.
Go to Top of Page

spasmcreek
Advanced Member

33779 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  4:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i tilled 5 gardens about 2 weeks ago ...about 2 acres...5' a pass..just idled along no sweat
Go to Top of Page

jwb267
Advanced Member

USA
12791 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  4:59:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tilled one of my gardens today. planted potatoes, cabbage and broccoli

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZDmai3][/url]
Go to Top of Page

jimdeere
Advanced Member

USA
15750 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  5:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The old saying here is when the mountain is green half way up. We have seen frost up into the second week of June, however.
Go to Top of Page

84Bravo1
Advanced Member

8445 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  5:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
24* and snow here a few nights ago. Been very nice out last couple days. (Just trying to sucker me in.) I've planted too early last couple years, have had hard freezes to contend with. I'm waiting.

Several more weeks.

Love fresh veggies. Especially tomatoes.
Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

12734 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  6:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I am going to hold off, Heavy Rain expected on Sunday.

I will put my plants in the sun room until Monday or Tues.

I think I will put down some fertilizer and a barrel of rabbit poop I have

Till that in and when the rains come it will get into the soil.

This is the latest I have planted in 8 years or so.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.

Edited by - Sam06 on 04/12/2018 6:10:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
24776 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  6:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Junkballer

quote:

The bees reappeared last year after missing for five years, so it should be a good year.

That's ^^^^^^ the key to success, I've never have understood why people use bumble-bee traps, bumble-bees pollinate too

I'm the same way about bees and wasps. Those two, along with earthworms and lizards, are a gardeners best friends and allies.
A squadron of wasps will patrol your tomatoes from sun up to sun down attacking and carrying off any green worms they find. Lady bugs will take care of the aphids.
Pesticides kill bees, wasps and any food sources for lizards.

A man who says he has never been scared is either lying or else he's never been anywhere or done anything
Sackett

A man who has not known many women cannot appreciate the value of one. The Walking Drum

A man's success he can share with others, his troubles are his own. Comstock Lode

A ship does not sail with yesterdays wind. The Walking Drum

Go to Top of Page

Junkballer
Advanced Member

USA
7062 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  7:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm the same way about bees and wasps. Those two, along with earthworms and lizards, are a gardeners best friends and allies.
A squadron of wasps will patrol your tomatoes from sun up to sun down attacking and carrying off any green worms they find. Lady bugs will take care of the aphids.

You got it right , let nature work as intended , I'm definitely not anti-chemical, chemicals are needed at times and can be very helpful when needed.......just know when.
Go to Top of Page

dpmule
Advanced Member

USA
3321 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  11:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally dried out just enough to start cleaning corrals yesterday, left truck and dump trailer in one big corral overnight, woke this morningto another soggy mess from 3/4" of rain and nearly had to resort to pulling truck and trailer out with my tractor, but 4 wheel low range and still had my studded rough tread winter tires on the dually, I bored my way out and then made some nice ruts up through the field to dump.
Parked it to wait again for it to dry.
A little nasty blew through just before dark and left us with 2" of fresh white spring.

Think the garden tilling is going to wait a bit yet.

Mule

DOMARI NOLO

When in doubt, shoot low, they might be riding shetlands

NRA Patron Member
Wild Sheep Foundation Life Member
Go to Top of Page

44pinshooter

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  2:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weatherman talking 1 to 4 of snow tomorrow.
Afraid to move the snowblower to the back of the barn and get out the tiller and lawn mower...... Ain't been a bad winter, but it's been here to long.
Cabin fever is bad, rereading the seed catalogs.
Haven't done much in the way of a garden last 3-4 years, let the day job have too much of my time. Last year only did a few tomatoes and pepper plants.
Not this year...........gonna go back to having a big garden again.
Missed it the last couple of years.

Exposure to the Son, will pervent burning.
Go to Top of Page

TooBig
Advanced Member

USA
25310 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  7:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put in about 150 Candy onion sets Tuesday

NO COUNTRY CAN SURVIVE OPEN BORDERS AND WELFARE XXXXXXXXX It's time for the Democraps use their brain and the Republicans to grow a Pair. Tell Congress it's time to Read the Bills First
Go to Top of Page

gunnut505
Advanced Member

USA
9796 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  12:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5/15 is the latest average date for frosts here, so the first full moon after that is when my pumpkins, collards, hyssop, amaranth, blue corn, sunflowers, epazote and tomatillos hit the ground.
A week beforehand, I sprinkle about 4" of peat moss and compost on top, and water well. It helps break up the rest of the root zone.

Everything else goes in at the end of May; Chiles, sweet corn, snow peas, Brussels sprouts, radishes, red onions, butterscotch squash, and the packets of bee mix flowers.
Next year, it's all going indoors! Hydroponic greenhouse with solar pv for the circulation pumps! 7 months of tropical growing conditions! No critters in the soil! No blight, rot, fungus, mites or pests!
I can't wait.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

"It never hurts to help!"--EEEK the Cat
Go to Top of Page

84Bravo1
Advanced Member

8445 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  08:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gunnut505

5/15 is the latest average date for frosts here, so the first full moon after that is when my pumpkins, collards, hyssop, amaranth, blue corn, sunflowers, epazote and tomatillos hit the ground.
A week beforehand, I sprinkle about 4" of peat moss and compost on top, and water well. It helps break up the rest of the root zone.

Everything else goes in at the end of May; Chiles, sweet corn, snow peas, Brussels sprouts, radishes, red onions, butterscotch squash, and the packets of bee mix flowers.
Next year, it's all going indoors! Hydroponic greenhouse with solar pv for the circulation pumps! 7 months of tropical growing conditions! No critters in the soil! No blight, rot, fungus, mites or pests!
I can't wait.

Sounds Awesome! I'm envious of your pending indoor grow set up. Around here the animals get as much, if not more than I do.

Rumor has it, we are going to see snow flurries tomorrow, after a week of 65-80* days. I've not planted yet. I did so too early, two years in a row now. Learned my lesson.
Go to Top of Page

dcon12
Advanced Member

Georgia
29277 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  10:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Don
Go to Top of Page

danielgage
Advanced Member

USA
7755 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice looking gardens
Go to Top of Page

Dads3040
Advanced Member

USA
13580 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  12:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

We have been introducing Mason Bees into the garden. They are great pollinators and not agressive at all. The only issue is that rather than the holes in little wooden blocks we provide for them, some of them prefer the spaces between the slats on our wooden patio table.

They don't bother anything and it is funny to watch them buzz in and out of the table while we are sitting there on nice summer days.

The Object in Life is not to be with the Majority, but Rather to Avoid finding Oneself in the Ranks of the Insane. Marcus Aurelius
Go to Top of Page

84Bravo1
Advanced Member

8445 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  3:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snowing hard outside now, and for the last several hours. Supposed to get down around 20* tonight. Man am I glad my veggies are not in the ground.

Budded out fruit trees are going to get hammered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page