GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Holster question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
16575 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  8:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a Galco high ride leather holster for the Glock. After wearing it a couple days for break in the gun comes out and goes in with ease,,,, while the holster is off. Wearing the holster the gun is locked in, won't come out. Any kind of pressure on the backside of the holster locks the gun in, I have to loosen my belt to where the holster is hanging loosely to remove the gun.

Any suggestions?

I do have a Blackhawk plastic mechanical doomafaji that works great but it isn't leather.

remingtonoaks
Advanced Member

USA
15808 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  9:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not quite broken yet. You should worry about what it does when you're wearing it then when you're not wearing it, what matters is how it works when you wear it.

I'll wrap a plastic bag around my pistol and stick it into a leather holster to stretch it out a little more then what the pistol will be by itself until it will draw while I'm wearing it

Edited by - remingtonoaks on 04/15/2018 9:01:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

ruger41
Advanced Member

USA
11732 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  9:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a holster made by a local guy and had the same problem. He suggested this fix..put gun into a thin sock and then into the holster for a few hours. Worked like a charm. Gun is tight enough in the holster not to just come out unless I draw it.
Go to Top of Page

TrinityScrimshaw
Advanced Member

USA
9129 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  9:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you post a picture of the holster empty, and with the Glock in it?

When I was an LEO, before I retired I ordered several Galco holsters for my Detectives to use. They secured the gun tightly, and you had to twist the gun while withdrawing it, but it was designed this way.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
16575 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  9:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw

Could you post a picture of the holster empty, and with the Glock in it?

When I was an LEO, before I retired I ordered several Galco holsters for my Detectives to use. They secured the gun tightly, and you had to twist the gun while withdrawing it, but it was designed this way.

Trinity +++

Edited by - Big Sky Redneck on 04/15/2018 9:30:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

TrinityScrimshaw
Advanced Member

USA
9129 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  9:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea,I needed to see down the throat of the empty holster, but that's OK.

It looks just like the GALCO's we used for our SIG's.

Try twisting it in the holster while at the same time trying to draw the gun. Twist the hand grip away from your body, and pull up, see if that helps any?

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)

Edited by - TrinityScrimshaw on 04/15/2018 9:41:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Big Sky Redneck
Advanced Member

Kuwait
16575 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  9:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw

Yea,I needed to see down the throat of the empty holster, but that's OK.

It looks just like the GALCO's we used for our SIG's.

Try twisting it in the holster while at the same time trying to draw the gun. Twist the hand grip away from your body, and pull up, see if that helps any?

Trinity +++

Twisting it doesn't help and if I get it out putting it back inthe holster forces the slide back.

Lighting in the truck is terrible for getting a good shot inside it right now, I'll try tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

TrinityScrimshaw
Advanced Member

USA
9129 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  10:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that the mold is just too tight for your frames modle.

There may be a fix, but it's so new I wouldn't want to make any recommendations that could ruin it's warranty.

I suggest you contact GALCO, and see what they recommend. They might want you to return it.

Trinity +++

Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
37796 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2018 :  10:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in 2000, my PD bought a bunch of new pistols, and a bunch of new holsters. The holsters were TIGHT when we first got them. VERY TIGHT, as in very hard to get the pistol in and out.

Besides the holsters being tight, our officers were also having to transition to our new SIG/Sauer pistols, and many were un-accustomed to using a de-cocking lever.

So, here's what we did to deal with both problems.

Our first drill:

Start with pistol loaded and locked into the holster.

On "FIRE" command, draw the pistol, fire ONE round.

Then, de-cock and re-holster.

Repeat 100 times.

By the time we made 100 repetitions of this drill, the holsters were broken in, still snug but not tight.

And the officers got accustomed to using the de-cocking lever.

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Retired Texas Peace Officer/FFL Dealer

Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

My GunBroker auctions: http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=3012

Go to Top of Page

Sam06
Advanced Member

12734 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  10:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nunn

Back in 2000, my PD bought a bunch of new pistols, and a bunch of new holsters. The holsters were TIGHT when we first got them. VERY TIGHT, as in very hard to get the pistol in and out.

Besides the holsters being tight, our officers were also having to transition to our new SIG/Sauer pistols, and many were un-accustomed to using a de-cocking lever.

So, here's what we did to deal with both problems.

Our first drill:

Start with pistol loaded and locked into the holster.

On "FIRE" command, draw the pistol, fire ONE round.

Then, de-cock and re-holster.

Repeat 100 times.

By the time we made 100 repetitions of this drill, the holsters were broken in, still snug but not tight.

And the officers got accustomed to using the de-cocking lever.

That is a good drill and a great way to break in a holster.

BSR I am not a gun snob so much as I am a holster snob. Galco makes a great product for what it is but if you want a really comfortable and secure holster I would go with a more custom maker.

For a big old G21 like that you need a really good holster to:

1. Carry it and 1/2 way conceal it(If that is what you want to do)

and

2. Carry it comfortably. securely and safely especially if riding a horse or MC.

On the low scale price wise I would look at Simply Rugger Pancake holsters. I have one and I can 1/2 way conceal my S&W 4" M629.

On the other end look at Milt Sparks 55-BN holster or Greg Kramers Belt scabbard pancake holster. I have both for a 1911 and they are really fine holsters.

RLTW

Proud white heteronormative cis-male member of the Kyriarchy

Liberalism: The haunting feeling that someone, somewhere, might be having a good time.
Go to Top of Page

drobs
Advanced Member

Djibouti
21530 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2018 :  12:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BSR which model Glock do you have again?

Get yourself a Glock Sport holster. They are cheap but work good. Good for wearing around when you don't want to scuff up a nice leather holster.

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-GLOCK-Sport-Combat-Holster/dp/B00IK3XQ4G

There are 2 sizes. 1 size for 45/10 and 1 size for double stack 9/40/357/gap.

Note you need to cut the double tab in each belt loop.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page