GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 MAB Model G .22lr
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DancesWithSheep
Advanced Member

14351 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  1:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have experience with or know anything about these? They're supposed to be rare, but I have no idea what they're worth or how good they are. Thanks.

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2891 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  5:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey DWS- Been looking for you , but can't find that model.I found a listing[but no current value] for a model GZ in 25 and 32, but not 22.I don't know what yours is. The listing I found valued the GZ no more or less than all the other blowback MAB's.The only difference was it was an Italian knock-off of the French model C.I've owned quite a few MABs, but never considered them collectables of any real value.The only one I still have is a new p-15, 9mm Hi Cap. Kept it since it was, and is , a unique example of one of the earliest double stack auto pistols not based on the Hi-Power. It has a kinda rotating bbl lockup like the old Rem 51. I'll keep looking when I have a chance-Bob

Gun control is a steady hand

Edited by - Hangfire on 08/25/2003 5:51:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

DancesWithSheep
Advanced Member

14351 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  6:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Bob: I just won one on a GB auction yesterday (#11261198), but don't know anything about them. I've gotten an unintentional collection of MAS/MAB guns going, including the PA-15. Just wondering if it was rare enough to be a "safe gun", or just a "shooter".
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2891 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  8:51:40 PM  Show Profile
Wish I could help, but it looks like a regular ol' MAB Browning type auto.I've never seen any collector interest in any of their guns.I always liked them and thought they were extremely well made, but never attached any special value to them. It seems though that you picked up one in excellent condition at a very low price.I bet most people seeing that didn't have a clue what is was, and never heard of MAB!! Did you call CDNN to get any history?Bob

Go to Top of Page

DancesWithSheep
Advanced Member

14351 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  9:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Bob: Never thought to ask CDNN today. All they wanted was the GB# and my credit card info. Supposedly it was the owner's gun, but you know how that goes. I bought it as a companion/little brother to the PA-15; I figured at my bid price I couldn't get hurt. I've never seen one before.
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2891 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  9:46:02 PM  Show Profile
DWS-Is yours made in Spain? Don't remember the French making it in 22. MAB stands for Manufacture d'Armes de Bayonne,France. The Spanish copies had MAB on the grips, but I think they had something Eibar on the slide.MABs been making guns since the 20s, but most imports stopped with the 68 gun control restrictions.Don't know when yours was made but that style in 32 and 380 began somewhere in the 30s.Notice the rough similarity to a PPK?. Don't know when they stopped, but were making them long after WW2.I remember the Spanish version was available in the 60s.Don't know if they are still in business or not.Bob

Go to Top of Page

DancesWithSheep
Advanced Member

14351 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  11:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Bob--according to the auction listing, it's French, pre-1968. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

b.goforth

966 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  12:33:33 AM  Show Profile
i recently tried to find some information on the 'mab model GZ'. didn't find much and alot of it is guess work. the very early production of the model G was by 'manufacture d'armes de bayonne in framce. never found out when or how many. but it appears these early models were not exported.

production was farmed out to the spanish company of "echasve y arizmendi (still don't know when) and the model GB was born. the model GB was exported everywhere.

some of these model GB's were given brand names and exported to the usa, some of the names used were 'fast' 'dickson special' and 'madison'. mab even exported the model GB into the usa under their name in the early 1960.

the mab GB and other handgun manufactured by 'echasve y arizmendi' are well built just not finished as nice as some others.

'echave y arizmendi' was in business from about 1911 until 1970 and was one of only four spanish firearms manufacturers to survive the spanish civil war.
b.goforth
Go to Top of Page

DancesWithSheep
Advanced Member

14351 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  01:09:02 AM  Show Profile
b.goforth: Thank you for the information. I assume the difference between the G and GB designations is that the former is French manufacture and the latter Spanish. According to seller, this is a G model; I will try to confirm this tomorrow, as well as whether there are any import markings. Again, thank you for your input.
Go to Top of Page

b.goforth

966 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  6:53:08 PM  Show Profile
all the 'GZ' i have seen were marked made in spain. so i assume??? those marked only 'G' are made in france. i have not had the opportunity to study one marked "model G" only.
b.goforth
Go to Top of Page

Krieghoff
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  6:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,

I recently obtained a MAB Model G chambered in .22LR. The serial number is 4565 (no letters), all steel construction and has a nickel finish/white plastic MAB grips. Right side of slide is marked Made in France.

I've done a serious search but I don't find much data about this pistol. Could any of you point me to a solid source of information?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page