GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Arminius revolvers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdegrazia

50 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  1:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any info on revolvers manufactured by Arminius? I am interested in the value/quality of the 38 sp. with a 4 inch barrel in NRA excellent condition.
Serial # 402168
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Regards: Vic D

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19228 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  1:25:10 PM  Show Profile
The post WWII Arminus handguns were manufactured by Weihrauch, a company innGermany well known for fine rifles (I own one of their .22 match rifles). The Arminus pistols are all of good quality and are well made and serviceable. Although these were once widely distributed in the United States, various import restrictions limited their availability years ago. The Arminus line is still quite popular in Europe where I have often come across them. While there is nothing fancy or collectible about Arminus pistols, they are good solid shooters.

Mark T. Christian
Go to Top of Page

vdegrazia

50 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  7:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Mark: Thanks for the info. Any idea on value in NRA excellent condition?

Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  9:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Let Me take this one step further over Marks reply.....
The ARMINIUS by Herman Weihrauch Spotwaffenfabrik, Mellrichstadt/Bayern, West Germany before 1968: Made three Revolvers..The HW-3,.22 L.R.R.F., The HW-3,.32 S&W Long. The HW-5, .22 L.R.R.F., The HW-5,.32 S&W Long. The HW-7 and HW-9 in .22 caliber..
All valued as Mark said...Low on the Scale...In Excellent Condition...$75.00 to $100.00.Now it gets interesting...After the gun Control Act of 68, F.I.E. Firearms Import & Export Corporation of Miami, Floridfa became the Sole Importer of Arminius handguns..
There were only Four Models produced for the American Market, All called the ARMINIUS, and were known only by slight differances...
1. Arminius .38 Special, Double Action, Swing-out Cylinder, Adjustable Sights, TARGET Model, Blued...In Excellent Condition...$100.00

2, Arminius....Same as above but Chrome Finish....$100.00

3. " " " Fixed Sights and Blue..$75.00

4." " " Fixed Sights and CHROME...$100.00

Whit what Mark has given You and what little Bit that is in my data base...You now Know all that We Have....Best.......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

redcedars

1095 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  10:10:01 AM  Show Profile
Mark, Capt:

I have seen a few Arminius guns. They remind me, at least superficially, of the High Standard Sentinel design (never took one apart, or looked closely at a parts schematic). Either of you notice the similarity? I have schematics for some pretty obscure guns, and I may have one for the Arminius. I should look for one the next time I am researching .

redcedars
Go to Top of Page

vdegrazia

50 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  6:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Captain: Thanks for the info

Go to Top of Page

terryj
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile
I have owned an Arminus HW-3 for some time and was wondering how old it might be and what it might be worth. Anyway of telling from the Serial number? It appears to be in good to excellent condition.

TJC
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15834 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  2:07:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by terryj

I have owned an Arminus HW-3 for some time and was wondering how old it might be and what it might be worth. Anyway of telling from the Serial number? It appears to be in good to excellent condition.

The West German proofs on the revolver will have either a two diget number or a two letter code. This will be the date that it went through the West German proof facility. Most likely this is also the DOM.

Go to Top of Page

terryj
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  4:41:46 PM  Show Profile
There are 3 symbols stamped below the model number and one of them has the numbers "67". So you have helped me determine that my HW 3 was made in 1967.
Thanks! How about the second part of my question...worth?

TJC
Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12589 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  4:56:19 PM  Show Profile
I had an Arminius by Weirauch in a single action. It was 44 Magnum with a 7 1/2" barrel. As I recall some internal parts were interchangeable with the Colt SAA.
The gun was well finished except the color case hardening of the frame was simulated and didn't look so hot.
Both barrel and cylinder were at least as well made as the Colt.

Edited by - v35 on 01/21/2007 4:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15834 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  5:46:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by terryj

There are 3 symbols stamped below the model number and one of them has the numbers "67". So you have helped me determine that my HW 3 was made in 1967.
Thanks! How about the second part of my question...worth?

They have never been big buck firearms. Nothing wrong with them at all, just that they have always been sold as utility grade, personal protection handguns. My 2, yours would be in the $100 - $200 range, if it's a 38 special, in very good, functional condition.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page